New site new update coming soon/ new start.?

Marko

It just occurred to me

New site, new update soon. all is good in the world of the armour sim enthusiasts.

Maybe its time  some old rivalries/Disagreements between long time members of this forum including mine were put to bed time to move on.

The one sore point IMO in the world of SB/ MP is how fragmented it has became. 

This does not effect me personally as I no longer have the time to play MP to be honest I barely play SP due to work and family commitments these days

But I have noticed certain VU/players will not play with or even against each other which is a shame as we are a small group.

What I am trying to say is let bygones be bygones call a truce you don't have to like a guy to shoot at him in the Virtual world anyway. LoL

Not sure how this post will be taken by the membership. but screw it sometimes you got to try.

SB real strength IMO is MP that s where its shows it true capability's events like LNOT/ red tide etc. 

It would be unrealistic to think all past disagreements could be resolved by one simple post.

But just give it some thought.

Edited by Marko

12 minutes ago, Tacbat said:

Maybe your right Tacbat

but I figured it was worth a shot

No guy likes to admit he over reacted to a post comment or on TeamSpeak ( but I will and have.)

not saying we should all give each other a group hug,

The fact is some guys just do not get on there personality's clash just like the real world especially in work.

But we have to learn to work with that person of course you not required to in your free time.

But with such a small MP community its seems to me anyway.

its getting harder to attract a decent amount of players even for the big events.

No hidden agenda here Real world commitments make it impossible for me to play MP for the next year if not longer

Anyway I will leave it there.

I think it would be helpful if the Steel Beasts TeamSpeak Server was set back up with all of the Virtual Units back in their respective channels. When I started playing Steel Beasts, I always checked the TeamSpeak Server to see who was playing and sometimes, I joined the group. It was helpful to see the TeamSpeak Channels on the SteelBeasts.Com Home page.  A newcomer can read the announcements of the various VU's and then easily join the VU's session at the appointed time. Presently, the VU's have scattered to the "four corners of the "internet" world" with separate TeamSpeak Channels that are not readily visible to newcomers, which probably discourages participation.

Connaugh

• Members

Well, some users chose the TeamSpeak server as a battleground for their personal feuds, so we had to curb services. There's only so much that we can do to enforce civilized behavior. I don't want to pick at scabs but rather let things heal, so I'm not going to describe who did what, when, that lead to the current situation. But we didn't do this just because we felt that it was time to give the community a shake-up "to keep life interesting".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

To be honest, I don't know.

Maybe fracturing is a sign of a maturing community. In the beginning all members and the product are in a honeymoon phase. You tend to gloss over things that you don't like, until you discover years later that you find yourself unable to ignore them any longer. At that point some players discover that they have less in common with each other than they thought. There's a mutual interest in a single subject matter, but maybe no as much overlap in all other areas. At the same time you also see cluster formation - partially a desired thing, if you think of teams that want to play with or against each other-, and at some point it can develop into an "us vs them" kind of situation.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, where most of us become prisoners of our individual filter bubbles. Google and Facebook (and many other web services) monitor your preferences, and once that they figure out what you like best, they start presenting only links that confirm your world view. It's at the very fundament a kind of sectarian perception of thew world. Also, it's hard to recognize what's NOT shown to you, e.g. once that Facebook figures out that you're conservative, it no longer shows the posts of your crazy liberal friends (...or the other way around). The iron fist of Google's filtering may be clad in a velvet glove, so it's hard to recognize even if you are technically aware of it. The not-so-subtle trend that I register is that people get more sensitive about certain topics and are losing the ability to tolerate other people's not so favorable personality traits. Combine this with an ever growing sophistication of people to torment each other on the forums - shall we call it borderline trolling - and you get a rather corrosive mix that can be a serious problem for smaller communities. Large games, e.g. WoT with 20 million user accounts - well, they have the same mechanisms at work, but there each sub-community is large enough that it doesn't matter. If you don't like a certain group, you move on until you find another that is more compatible with your personality (confirmation bias at work, again).

29 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

To be honest, I don't know.

Maybe fracturing is a sign of a maturing community. In the beginning all members and the product are in a honeymoon phase. You tend to gloss over things that you don't like, until you discover years later that you find yourself unable to ignore them any longer. At that point some players discover that they have less in common with each other than they thought. There's a mutual interest in a single subject matter, but maybe no as much overlap in all other areas. At the same time you also see cluster formation - partially a desired thing, if you think of teams that want to play with or against each other-, and at some point it can develop into an "us vs them" kind of situation.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, where most of us become prisoners of our individual filter bubbles. Google and Facebook (and many other web services) monitor your preferences, and once that they figure out what you like best, they start presenting only links that confirm your world view. It's at the very fundament a kind of sectarian perception of thew world. Also, it's hard to recognize what's NOT shown to you, e.g. once that Facebook figures out that you're conservative, it no longer shows the posts of your crazy liberal friends (...or the other way around). The iron fist of Google's filtering may be clad in a velvet glove, so it's hard to recognize even if you are technically aware of it. The not-so-subtle trend that I register is that people get more sensitive about certain topics and are losing the ability to tolerate other people's not so favorable personality traits. Combine this with an ever growing sophistication of people to torment each other on the forums - shall we call it borderline trolling - and you get a rather corrosive mix that can be a serious problem for smaller communities. Large games, e.g. WoT with 20 million user accounts - well, they have the same mechanisms at work, but there each sub-community is large enough that it doesn't matter. If you don't like a certain group, you move on until you find another that is more compatible with your personality (confirmation bias at work, again).

Shit man you sound like Freud :D

But yeah I got what you ARE SAYING ;)

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

He was smart enough to have that aspect of his life covered. "Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." (Yeah, riiiight...)

That reminds me of a conversation I had at work recently. I told my co-workers that I have two cats. One of them asked me, "What is the minimum number of cats one has to own to be considered a 'crazy cat person'?" I said, "In my opinion: three." They replied, "So...one more than you have?" I said, "Of course." ;)

12 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

What can be done?

Its a really good question.

First off a villingness to try it again would be my guess.

Secondly to try to create a place where new members dont get eaten allive and older players can enjoy the experience they have already gained. Getting new players is the lifeblood to keep a community alive.

One must remember that this is just a sim ,a game. To not take this so seriously that we are here to blow off steam and enjoy. Just like with in the scenarios we play we deal with what we have and so we should do with the people we are with...... hey , you have to deal with me no? :D

42 minutes ago, Zaphod said:

One must remember that this is just a sim ,a game.

Well that might well unintentionally ruffle some feathers for starters.

"A sim" in this context is a high quality simulation of real life that some use to practice real life activities.

So its a high fidelity sim - otherwise governments wouldn't buy it.

Its not a "sim" in say the same way some might call WoT a sim, or some other low fidelity, quasi game. :)

But I understand what you are trying to get across. :)

1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

Well that might well unintentionally ruffle some feathers for starters.

"A sim" in this context is a high quality simulation of real life that some use to practice real life activities.

So its a high fidelity sim - otherwise governments wouldn't buy it.

Its not a "sim" in say the same way some might call WoT a sim, or some other low fidelity, quasi game. :)

But I understand what you are trying to get across. :)

Thanks 

I also see you were trying to ruffle my feathers in the process lol :D

This bird has been plucked :D

Maybe a online meeting by the VU CO's on TeamSpeak with a agreed agenda and somebody considered neutral to moderate

Maybe I am being  naïve" on this topic but I believe its possible to reach a general understanding on participation for future MP campaigns/missions

There's already a comprehensive code of conduct in place a simple commitment by all to abide by it may be enough to start the ball rolling

Edited by Marko

Ive been playing SB since 2003,its just a game,a sim,not real life,Its ok to take it serious,but at the end of the day you go home with all your arms and legs and no PTSD.For those who take it so ultra serious as if its a life or death match im sure have never seen or expierienced the horrors of warfare.Sure everone wants to be victorious,but in the end everyone should shake hands and prepare for next weeks match.As much as I enjoy SBPPE, in the end im not gonna argue,insult or be petty to some one over a match.1)I have more important things to do with my time,2)Its not hard for alot of people to be internet tough guys.It show immaturity,insecurities and envy or fear that they have never served or have stolen valor issues,or perhaps other(calling Dr Freud).We live in an out of control PC world and it rears its ugly head on here sometimes.

HARDIN' THE FUCK UP! OR GO HOME.;)

Edited by mpow66m

Presumably, the fact that at least three of the largest groups/VUs no longer use the SB Teamspeak server is seen as evidence of a fractured community. As Connaugh says, it would be nice if the 'original' VU channels could be restored, but Ssnake obviously feels that to do so would risk another outbreak of bad behaviour. Personally, I doubt that; the personal animosities that were the cause of the original problem seem to have faded with time.   However, there's another reason why some VUs have set up their own TS servers and that is because it gives them more control over aspects such as Admin rights and useful priviliges such as Channel Commander. Frankly, I doubt if those VUs would now be willing to relinquish those benefits. However, it's encouraging to see that some players are now happy to participate in missions publicised by other VUs on the SB forum, rather than stick strictly within their own community. So perhaps things are not that bad after all.

Edited by Tjay

• Members

The problem last time was that eSim Games - a company of about ten - was accused of inaction with respect to moderating a real-time multi-channel chatroom, and it was the basis of an outright smear campaign to accuse us of racism. I don't know what people think that will happen as a result. We reduce our involvement, that's what happens. We cannot deliver a "safe experience" for the hypersensitive and the perpetually offended. And frankly, even if we had the manpower for it, like hell I would piss it away in a futile and oppressive-totalitarian attempt of setting up a thought police in the name of political correctness.

We're living in a world now where apparently law schools can't discuss the laws of sexual offenses because some students are too sensitive to even hear "trigger words". Rather than seeking psychological counsel or studying something "safe", like vegan gender studies, poeple these days demand that the whole world bends around their own warped perception of reality. It's no longer about objective issues but rather how the individual feels about them that is becoming the new yardstick by which the need for action is determined. At the same time we as a company cannot afford to fight the culture war that is being waged since the 1960s within our society. Social Justice Warriors can mobilize vast armies of activists that can disrupt any online business with ease, and if even large corporations have no meaningful defense against it, how can a small company hope to survive the mob of self-righteous trolls?

Whilst I regret the changes made to Teamspeak last year, I fully understand the "why".

I'm not sure that it makes much difference to the level of activity though as individuals seem agile enough to adapt.

If you want to play TGIF or do stuff with 1 CAD, BG ANZAC, use the "original" TS channel.

Want to work with PzBn 911, jump to thiers

Want to work with UK Armour or Kanium, then go there

Dogs of War go there.

etc.

Note: Order was just random not to be interpreted in any way as prioirity, one is more important than the other, etc. :)

Edited by Gibsonm
Had to check spelling of Kanium.

We in Kanium support this and have a continuously open invite to everybody that wants to play and some of the more crazy ones of us try to join as many of the other VUs games as, time zones , our own scenarios, languages(we don't speak German but play/Work with PzBn 911 members) and our work allows.

We always try to get as many people to play as possible and have a monthly campaign (First Sunday of every month).

That there are a few we haven't been playing with yet is mostly the time zones and respect of their rules not because of bad feelings as we are all new and there fore don't have any bad blood.

We even have a Skype chat with members from Kanium, PzBN 911, Uk Armor, 1Cad where we chat, connect and coordinate on a daily basis, sometimes when you comes on there can be more then a 100 messages if there have been a lively discussion that day. 

Our VU have members from Finland, Sweden, UK, US, Poland, Denmark, Canada

Best regards 

Swordsmandk and Major Duck

Edited by Major duck
(Bad spelling and dyslexic)