Would there be any interest in....

Werewolf

I was wondering if there would be any interest in what I call micro-scenarios.

The design objectives of this type of scenario would be:

1) to have a very limited number of units on each side - 3 platoons or less with 1 or 2 being preferable

2) would take 15 minutes or less to play from start to finish

3) be played on a small map of no more than a 10X10 grid

4) victory would entail completing assigned mission objective(s) and never be just kill, kill, kill and victory could be achieved by neither, one or the other or even both sides

5) primarily designed for single player

6) AI setup with multiple battle plans to provide some replayability

7) Player side set up with at least one battle plan

8) When the default player battle plan is let alone and not touched by the player the AI battle plans should win between 40% to 60% of the time.

Edited by Werewolf

I think so.

We at BG ANZAC are developing a series of similar sized ones for teaching purposes and maybe at some future date "accreditation".

Ours are primarily aimed at small level drills, such as:

Mech Pl adv/atk/defence/delay

Leg Pl adv/atk/defence/delay

Cav sector search, route recon, ...

All - Resupply.

All - Breaching / SOSRA

etc.

Good luck with yours. :)

• Members

Steel Beasts isn't really tailored to the huge battles that are sometimes organized. They probably have their appeal and their place, but the "designer's intent" of Steel Beasts is to address the platoon to company scale, with the option to venture into battalion scale exercises if you have the necessary manpower and network bandwidth. To that extent, more "small" (..."right sized") scenarios may develop an appreciation in the audience for that kind of use. A platoon level reconnaissance mission for example can already offer a fair bit of excitement, I'd think.

25 minutes ago, ht-57 said:

Sounds gr8!

The only thing I may Suggest is the scenario time, Could it be up to an hour.

as 15 seems a lil quick for us ole slow folk!

At 64 - I am one of those old slow folk. Reflexes are all shot to hell - one of my son in laws regularly beats me now in IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation) matches. I know how you feel.

12 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I think so.

We at BG ANZAC are developing a series of similar sized ones for teaching purposes and maybe at some future date "accreditation".

Ours are primarily aimed at small level drills, such as:

Mech Pl adv/atk/defence/delay

Leg Pl adv/atk/defence/delay

Cav sector search, route recon, ...

All - Resupply.

All - Breaching / SOSRA

etc.

Good luck with yours. :)

What you have described re: training drills was my original intent when I 1st thought of doing something like this. But it didn't take long to figure out that the training I received in armor operations and tactics over 40 years ago really no longer applies in the 21'st century so I relegated that particular objective to the dust bin.  The tech has come too far. For example something as seemingly simple as night vision and IR has changed things completely. The US Army does things now that in my day would have been considered impossible and foolhardy. Digital communications, TV screens with maps of battlefields in every tank, tanks that can scream across a battlefield at 40MPH (if we'd done that there'd have been broken bones galore onboard), gun stabilization that encourages firing while moving at high speed. All these things make it so I've no idea where to even start a scenario meant to be a training tool that would also be fun.

Edited by Werewolf

4 hours ago, Werewolf said:

But it didn't take long to figure out that the training I received in armor operations and tactics over 40 years ago really no longer applies in the 21'st century so I relegated that particular objective to the dust bin.

As far as this sim goes, I'm stuck in the Cold War era myself, and aside from Gulf War scenarios, Cold War era (80's, Central Europe) missions are the only ones I download and play. So, I would eagerly check out anything with your background from the "1900s". ;)

These are often the most intense scenario's !

So, yes definitely interested in your work, Werewolf.

Actually, can I be of help ?

Not with idea's, but with implementing them, that is creating routes etc ....

I don't have too much free time, but maybe can spare a little time for this.

NO offense at all if you do it on your own.

Rgds !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 2:23 PM, Werewolf said:

What you have described re: training drills was my original intent when I 1st thought of doing something like this. But it didn't take long to figure out that the training I received in armor operations and tactics over 40 years ago really no longer applies in the 21'st century so I relegated that particular objective to the dust bin.  The tech has come too far. For example something as seemingly simple as night vision and IR has changed things completely. The US Army does things now that in my day would have been considered impossible and foolhardy. Digital communications, TV screens with maps of battlefields in every tank, tanks that can scream across a battlefield at 40MPH (if we'd done that there'd have been broken bones galore onboard), gun stabilization that encourages firing while moving at high speed. All these things make it so I've no idea where to even start a scenario meant to be a training tool that would also be fun.

Try the T-62 *ahem* M-48 *ahem*

That's a steam gunnery tank. :)

(And it has a millennial load time.)

But I for one would like to see how things were done. :)

Well in case there are lack of ideas for training scenarios maybe these would be worth of training for. -  Although I'm pretty sure that these were mentioned already

Defiles - Narrow places with or without corners.  - Especially when there is possibility of enemy contact it comes important of how to maneuver on these. Usually its a team work. 

Breaching...  obstacles, minefield, river crossing.  - Always a good training... especially if under fire. Scenario doesn't have to be large. It can be as small as two vehicles and some infantry. 

Using prepared defensive positions...  with named locations / firing sectors for possible enemy approaches. / Moving to secondary positions / to back up positions

Delaying defense - Where enemy is slowly worn out while allowing it to advance.

Aggressive flanking movement to attacking enemy's side using terrain - Could be done with a platoon.. or even with a section.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:58 PM, Scrapper_511 said:

As far as this sim goes, I'm stuck in the Cold War era myself, and aside from Gulf War scenarios, Cold War era (80's, Central Europe) missions are the only ones I download and play. So, I would eagerly check out anything with your background from the "1900s". ;)

Ditto. Served 1967-70 and Vietnam/Cold War is the last training I had. I used that other place (Armored Warfare) to get somewhat more up-to-date as far as modern equipment/tactics is concerned. PvE is very helpful at that. Then I came back to SB Pro for game play. I really like the Challenger 2. :D

Would definitely be interested in the suggestion the OP posted.

Edited by Deputy276