War - Russian tanks entering Georgia

daskal

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats so special? all the big nations seems to be doing this these days.

oh, and i like the statement at the end:

China, where the Olympic Games opens on Friday, called for worldwide truce during the sporting event.

lol

It seems that they edited that line out of the article already.

"Hundreds, possibly thousands, of volunteer fighters from Russia were mobilising to enter the war in Georgia's breakaway republic of South Ossetia last night.

Units of armed Cossacks from across the North Caucasus region which borders Georgia were poised to join the battle for the separatists' capital, Tskhinvali."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/09/russia.georgia1

May have been BRM recon vehicle...(??)

I'm not so certain. The BRM has a two man turret with an additional sight doghouse on the right-side turret hatch. The vehicle in the video appeared to have the regular single man BMP-1 turret. It shouldn't be that surprising, the unit shown in the video clip is also equipped with T-72s and 2S3's rather than 2s19's.

BMP1.jpg.5bde3f0e850489cdd79ce0f25c91851

BRM.jpg.2c913a7e40b5bdb35632da837180e152

BMP1.jpg.5bde3f0e850489cdd79ce0f25c91851

BRM.jpg.2c913a7e40b5bdb35632da837180e152

Soldiers without helmets or body armor, tanks with reactive armor, using T55's and vehicles that were out dated in the 1980's....It always surprises me how people try to compare this army to the United States Army. :confused:

Also - Whats up with Russians wearing US Marine MARPAT uniforms?

...It always surprises me how people try to compare this army to the United States Army. :confused:
Read some Russian/Soviet history. Your surprise will disappear, quickly.

For that matter look at how 'well' the US military found themselves prepared for WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. True, they adapted in some cases, but they still went in for the best part bringing yesterdays' beer to tomorrow's barbeque.

Shot

Read some Russian/Soviet history. Your surprise will disappear, quickly.

I honestly dont care how powerful Russia USED to be. Look at them now. Lets be honest too, Russia has seen their fare share of modern conflict. Their track record isnt any better than the US.

As far as equipment goes, dont even insult me by telling me Russia is anywhere near as advanced as we are.

True, they adapted in some cases

In some cases we've adapted? I think in ALL cases we've adapted. Just look at our Soldiers and equipment in Iraq. We've come a long way, and Russia has seen just AS much conflict as the United States. No excuses.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9361020.htm

A Tskhinvali resident calling himself Soslan said by telephone that Russian troops had never actually entered the city to take control of it. "The Russians, their tanks and artillery, are outside the city. They have not entered it," he said

I guess that explains the "low" Russian casualties.

There seems to be a minor difference in how Russia defines "peace keeping" vs. say Sweden...

Russian "peacekeeping" = annexation or vassalage it seems.

Oh, this just in

RUSSIAN NAVY SINKS GEORGIAN BOAT CARRYING MISSILE LAUNCHERS -AGENCIES QUOTE DEFENCE MINISTRY
Hopefully they didnt get the Georgian La Combattante II...

Edit:

Wikipedia has a line that seems to indicate that it was the Tibilisi which isnt the Combattante II class that the Georgians have

Edit 2: It and it sounds like the Combattante II class ship attempted to attack the Russian fleet blockading the Georgian coast.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1218104258690&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Edited by TankHunter
New info