War - Russian tanks entering Georgia

daskal

Hmm, since when in warfare, has "fighting fair" been the mantra? The goal is to win.....period.

If the Russians decide to push farther SE to Tblisi, then they will undoubted ly be in a worse position tactically. The Georgians have a much better defensible position just North (and West)of Mtskheta. Once the Russians enter(if they decide to) that mountain range, then their casualty rates will probably skyrocket since that terrain is more suitable to infantry. The Russians have had the luxury of being in "tank country" once they hit Tskhinvali (south of), but the terrain SE of Gori tells me that the Russians will have a tough fight on their flanks as they push towards Kaspi and Mtskheta, as long as the Georgians can be resupplied.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like what sounds like Georgian militia may be going bat shit...

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=151953

It was all over the news here, since that Ossetni shot israeli reporters (hit one's shoe, and fired over the head of another), and hijacked their car. the car was retreived by a russian officer after 15 minutes or so.

it was nothing like that reporter describes.

Edited by NEpi
can't kidnap cars

It was all over the news here, since that Ossetni shot israeli reporters (hit one's shoe, and fired over the head of another), and hijacked their car. the car was retreived by a russian officer after 15 minutes or so.

it was nothing like that reporter describes.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Well there goes the theory that the guys from FNC who are actually in the war know more than what the idiots back at the station know... But then again, you cant exactly blame the guy for not asking fatty questions about his ethnicity...

I thought it was Georgia using T-55's, but today I saw footage of Russian troops blocking access to the city of Gori with, among other vehicles, a T-55!

I understand that they don't use their best equipment, that would look a bit too much prepared, but why T-55's? Or was I shown the wrong footage?

-Rump

I suspect it was either a tank based nearby that was handy or part of Russia's antiquated tank fleet. But, when your enemy's tactic is to say "oh sh!t" and run, a T-55 works well enough.

Was the T-55 covered with ERA and/or a bra? If so, it may be a tank destroyer and good for guard duty - they adapted the tube-launched ATGM to 100mm and 115mm guns for that purpose.

I suspect it was either a tank based nearby that was handy or part of Russia's antiquated tank fleet. But, when your enemy's tactic is to say "oh sh!t" and run, a T-55 works well enough.

Was the T-55 covered with ERA and/or a bra? If so, it may be a tank destroyer and good for guard duty - they adapted the tube-launched ATGM to 100mm and 115mm guns for that purpose.

A bra? Anyway, it didn't have any extra protection.

Maybe it wasn't a T-55 after all, but a T-62: (pic from http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139708&page=10) This one has some extra protection.

?m=02&d=20080810&t=2&i=5518997&w=&r=2008-08-10T224741Z_01_L7680404_RTRUKOP_0_PICTURE0

In this footage http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=4329874 (Dutch news) you can also see a T-62.

Regards,

-Rump

you cant exactly blame the guy for not asking fatty questions about his ethnicity...

but I can feel uncomfortable that:

1. that reporter can't differentiate between the sides fighting (while other reporters can)

2. he is arrogant enough not to say he's not sure about what he's saying (a "probably" would have been nice).

3. his editor doesn't cross-check.

To infantry, an obsolete tank is still a tank.

but I can feel uncomfortable that:

1. that reporter can't differentiate between the sides fighting (while other reporters can)

2. he is arrogant enough not to say he's not sure about what he's saying (a "probably" would have been nice).

3. his editor doesn't cross-check.

I dont disagree with any of the points that you made.

I would like to add that American media is designed to entertain firstly and inform as a secondary objective.

To infantry, an obsolete tank is still a tank.

That is untill you have an RPG.

Which is probably what the Georgians are lacking.

What Mr Bush and Dr Rice should be saying is:

"We have recently delivered 10,000 AT4 and TOW2 Anti Tank systems to the Georgian army."

as well as this humanitarian aid crap.

Seems to me the only thing that Russia understands is a broken nose, or a company (well as they're Russian a battalion) of smoking T-72s.

think most western media works after that principle.... :biggrin:

IMHO, western media is running at an 8th grade reading level and 6th grade sensory perception level. The only redeemable part is all the camera footage they get, and even then you have to be critical about what they point it at and what they aren't pointing it at.

think most western media works after that principle.... :biggrin:

I get what you mean but CNN International seemed to have some fairly good info. Same with Reuters. Most of the media in the US was busy on Edwards' infidelity or that kid in Florida or the Olympics. Hence my comment.

That is untill you have an RPG.

Which is probably what the Georgians are lacking.

What Mr Bush and Dr Rice should be saying is:

"We have recently delivered 10,000 AT4 and TOW2 Anti Tank systems to the Georgian army."

as well as this humanitarian aid crap.

Seems to me the only thing that Russia understands is a broken nose, or a company (well as they're Russian a battalion) of smoking T-72s.

Taking on tanks with RPGs is a rough way to make a living. Sure, you can take out tank A but that just pisses off tank B, C and D.

Here's a Russian thread with a selection of photographs from the conflict.

These photos are unedited and contain images of dead, mutilated and injured people so don't look if you don't want to see that.

http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=551

Deeper into the thread (pg 35) there are several photos of a Georgian patrol boat sinking after being sabotaged in dock.

I can't read Russian but I imagine there is quite a heated debate going on in the thread.