Mouse pointer missing in 4K UHD resolution

Malakie

Just went to load SBPro after upgrading to 4K UHD.  No mouse pointer appears now for SBPro in the menus or game.   I have seen this in some other games and the solution was to change to windowed mode which was a temp fix but I want to run in full screen which I cannot without a mouse pointer.    System is also Windows 10 Pro, dual GTX-780's in SLI mode, i7 based.

• Members

There's borderless window mode; it's a command line option. Open cmd, change to the ..\Release\ folder in the Steel Beasts program directory, then type

SBProPE64cm.exe --help

This will bring up a window listing all the command line options and what they do.

In your case you'd need the command

--fullscreenwindow true

There's a small bug with borderless window mode: the instant action and tank range selection screens are empty when opened. To work around this open and then exit either the mission editor or map editor, after doing so the instant action and tank range selection screens will work properly.

Only other issue I've had with it is the way it automatically tries to span across all displays, which makes it a bit of a pain on my laptop. I use it pretty much exclusively on my desktop now, it's nice to be able to pull up the Teamspeak window while keeping the SB screen visible during multiplayer, for one example.

Edited by Rotareneg

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

There's borderless window mode; it's a command line option. Open cmd, change to the ..\Release\ folder in the Steel Beasts program directory, then type

SBProPE64cm.exe --help

This will bring up a window listing all the command line options and what they do.

In your case you'd need the command

--fullscreenwindow true

Thanks will switch to that mode...   Will there be a future update fixing this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.3.2016 at 1:58 AM, Malakie said:

Just went to load SBPro after upgrading to 4K UHD.  No mouse pointer appears now for SBPro in the menus or game.   I have seen this in some other games and the solution was to change to windowed mode which was a temp fix but I want to run in full screen which I cannot without a mouse pointer.    System is also Windows 10 Pro, dual GTX-780's in SLI mode, i7 based.

Btw, i have the same problem with 2540x1440 (GTX980ti).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Well, I don't know the particulars of why this would give you a lower frame rate, but there's a simple way to bring them back up - fullscreen, at a lower resolution. So, it's not a top priority in our development.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/304669/why-direct3d-application-performs-better-in-full-screen-mode

Don't bother. I understand, you have a bigger fish to fry. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

The problem is actually quite hard to fix. We know what needs to be done, and we're taking considerable effort towards that goal. But it is a massive undertaking even if it may appear as a mere triviality. I don't want to go too much into technical details, but it's one of those problems where we know what needs to be done, it just takes a lot of time and effort to actually do it.

If Steel Beasts were to be developed from scratch right now, it would be easy to address. You would approach the whole question of a user interface in an entirely different way. 25 years ago we were young and naive and never expected to be working on this for any longer than maybe five years. But as it turned out SB Pro is of a much bigger scope than initially expected, and that means we need to remove a lot of old code that is blocking the path towards a modern graphical user interface. But that old code is there for a reason. You can't just delete it. It needs rewriting. And you want to rewrite it in a way that introduces fewer bugs than it replaces.

I can but ask for patience here. Also, we're working on other things, but these are not really distractions that prevent us from modernizing the GUI, they run in parallel. All of which must create the tarther terrible impression that we're not doing anything about it at all. I can assure you, this is not the case.

Maybe I can illustrate it like this: If you want to build a new house, you need to secure the bank loan, purchase land, appoint an architect, choose a contractor to build it (or assemble all the raw materials if you want to do it yourself), and while you're very busy preparing all this, seemingly nothing happens at the construction site. All the work is happening elsewhere.

I'm very glad I found this thread. I've tried to run SB in fullscreen windows mode for a long time and didn't knew about the command line option.

I had an issue with my dual monitor (1080p) setup. SB take the whole space of both monitors but i wanted SB only on 1 monitor. I also found the commandline option --uiarea and this does the trick.

So i added --fullscreenwindow true --uiarea 0/0/1920/1080 and this works as expected. Well, you have to change the coordinates if you run a different resolution (2k/4k).

I hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...