New gun for Warror/Ajax

Tjay

By all accounts it's a good bit of kit, according to the manufacturer it can penetrate 140mm at 1500MTRS, the trouble is it's being touted as able to kill legacy tanks EG T54/55 which in theory it could, but not in the vehicles it's going to mounted in for the British Army.

There are rumours that AJAX is being thought of as medium armour, when it's really a recce platform, if the top brass start to think it can/should go tank hunting then we'll have big problems, a T54/55 or T62 would make mincemeat of it not to mention anything more modern.

Edited by Crusty

It looks really impressive. Especially new loading mechanism looks pretty neat. Though some questions do bother my mind. Why this has not been tried before? I mean "rotating breach" and why it is now when it comes to service. What kind of huge leap development has taken.

For sure...  it looks great. I bet that on CV90s  it would be very cool as well. Especially since of how bad the gun on cv9035 is like... or well,not the gun but reloading of it.

I highly doubt that small caliber guns would be able to knock out MBTs anywhere at near future. Unless...  rail-guns get really small.  

And hell...  really not sure if 140mm penetration  is enough to defeat front armor of most modern IFVs. Especially in future. 

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

By all accounts it's a good bit of kit, according to the manufacturer it can penetrate 140mm at 1500MTRS, the trouble is it's being touted as able to kill legacy tanks EG T54/55 which in theory it could, but not in the vehicles it's going to mounted in for the British Army.

There are rumours that AJAX is being thought of as medium armour, when it's really a recce platform, if the top brass start to think it can/should go tank hunting then we'll have big problems, a T54/55 or T62 would make mincemeat of it not to mention anything more modern.

I have long held the view all IFV type vehicles should have a ATGM as a standard fit.

7 minutes ago, Tacbat said:

Maybe they'll have a Javelin team with them. :)

Yes but even a well trained team would take x amount of time to deploy by that time even a old t tank could have loaded and started to engage you.

Where's if your vehicle is equipped with a ATGM the quicker engagement time could well save your crew /vehicle. 

• 3 weeks later...