Poland Armed Forces Modernization.

Damian90

On 2/24/2017 at 3:59 PM, Damian90 said:

It's not about any modern vehicle, but fascinating story in itself. I strongly recomenned everyone to watch this video, and don't worry, there are english subtitles added. ;)

Excellent video.

The passion showed by the restorers impressed me there's a vehicle very similar to the Tankette in Bovington Tank museum.

When most people see an old AFV wreck rusted and battered they probably think its only fit for the scrap yard

Wheres a real enthusiast will see a piece of history.

Also the reenactment was very well done.

Edited by Marko

21 minutes ago, Marko said:

Excellent video.

The passion showed by the restorers impressed me there's a vehicle very similar to the Tankette in Bovington Tank museum.

When most people see an old AFV wreck rusted and battered they probably think its only fit for the scrap yard

Wheres a real enthusiast will see a piece of history.

Also the reenactment was very well done.

Thanks! Well you know, people here are really passionate about history. I hope soon the Armored Vehicles Museum in Poznań will be opened for public after relocation outside military base, then I can visit it in my free time, and get inside more vehicles. ;)

• 5 months later...

Soon, 15th August, here in Poland we gonna celebrate Armed Forces Day with grand parade. Like each year I will participate, and hopefully I will be able to provide some photos or even videos to you guys. :)

I can only say at the moment, that units and equipment that will participate in parade, is already being moved to one of several military bases around Warsaw.

http://www.defence24.pl/644757,pancerne-przygotowania-do-defilady-defence24pl-tv

Preparations for the Armed Forces Day Parade. In the link there is video presenting excercises.

There will be a lot of vehicles, 30 tanks (10 Leopard 2A5, 10 Leopard 2A4, 10 PT-91), 8 AHS Krab, 8 AHS Dana, various Rosomak variants including Rak 120mm mortar. It's also said that during parade we will see US Army Strykers, and there also will be M1 MBT and M2 IFV on the static display. And of course much more.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so new variant of PT-91 tank was just presented and official presentation will be during MSPO 2017 exhibition, this variant is called PT-91M2.

https://katowice.tvp.pl/33765287/bumarlabedy-nie-sklada-broni-nowe-propozycje-modernizacji-twardego

Here is video from local news station from region where factory is placed.

Uh8g7uE.jpg

nOprYzY.jpg

fwHN7Ig.jpg

qMlfEDm.jpg

uoUlw6T.jpg

Edited by Damian90

Thanks for the pics Damien

Its a fine looking tank, but based on available information how do you think the new variant would compare with western designs.

Have the engineers working on the project overcome some of the basic issues/design flaws off the original T-72 gun stabilization depression ammo storage etc.

If you have any specs on the new design that are in English could you please post them.

Western designs are still better, it's simply upgrade of a T-72 class tank. Rumors says turret is of Ukrainian origin, dunno if it's truth. Ammo storage is indeed changed, other specification not known at the moment. Some say it might be armed with Ukrainian 120mm KBM-2 smoothbore gun with a rear turret bustle autoloader.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Polish MoD announced that at wednesday they will sign contract with US, for 20 M142 HIMARS MLRS with GMLRS and ATACMS missiles and logistics equipment. It can be expected to be the first batch, and probable follow on batches will use Polish Jelcz trucks instead of FMTV ones.

Contract cost is said to be 414 mln USD.

2 hours ago, Damian90 said:

Not at the moment I am affraid. It's said however that 18 vehicles will be operational and 2 used for training.

Still it will act as a very credible deter-ant for any potential aggressor. 

Anybody know how much land mass eighteen MLRS systems could cover

Edited by Marko

56 minutes ago, Marko said:

Still it will act as a very credible deter-ant for ant potential aggressor. 

Anybody know how much land mass eighteen MLRS systems could cover

M-142 HIMARS carries either 1 Missile, or 6 rockets [half the payload of the M-270 MLRS].  Those 18 [+2] will probably form 2-3 batteries in a HIMARS Battalion [or artillery brigade/regiment depending on Polish organizational norms], and that battalion [bde/rgmt] will be suitable for conducting counter-battery, interdiction, SEAD, neutralization/destruction fires of high-payoff/high value targets and suppression of large area targets in the close support fight as part of a corps' fire support allocation to a division sized element.  Ranges depend on munition and treaty obligations, and the upper limits are classified but expect rockets to generally reach out to up ~+70km and missiles ~+300km.

Relevant passages/tables for effects expectations:
----
image2.thumb.jpeg.0d93c8926a5478a569e69f4c103ce0bb.jpeg
----

image3.thumb.jpeg.838abee490e97e8ac2082c1b61104d02.jpeg
----

image1.thumb.jpeg.1941218cdcf6526df1c133b9c32c658b.jpeg
----

image5.thumb.jpeg.5752d2bf5c8eac0ccaebda1847b512d2.jpeg
----
image6.thumb.jpg.4632c8b06535328e1502ebb9ab0309e7.jpg