Jump to content
Haferja

Play style: simulator or tactical

Recommended Posts

Well it's a stupid question, but i just want to know, which play-style you prefer in most of your single-player mission time. The correct answer should be "it depends".. i know ;-) But anyway:

 

a) tactical (using the map, changing waypoints and positions,..)

b) inside a vehicle (as tank commander or gunner)

 

The last month i was struggeling to find the right game in my libary for having tacital battlefield fun. I wasnt sure which game i prefer (i know it's wierd): Stuff from the combat mission-series, the graviteam-series, DCS (combined arms) or steel beasts (besides some other games like: theatre of war, men of war etc.) ;-)

For now i'm sure i'll spend my little free time with steel beasts and the editor. The only thing i miss is the detail of infantry-combat (compared to combat mission).

 

Cheers!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B - When it comes to actual playing missions. For me it has come very obvious that I enjoy it most inside the vehicle as Commander or Gunner. (edit Or as Driver) 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Lumituisku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haferja, from what you're writing I sense that you will probably like a few of the new 4.0 features. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. I Often play a mission in SB without even jumping in to any crew  positions sort of RTS style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Haferja, from what you're writing I sense that you will probably like a few of the new 4.0 features. :)

 

That doesn't make waiting easier for me!! ;-)) I'm looking forward to 4.0.

Edited by Haferja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever since I got SB1 I enjoyed the tactical aspect. Thats what drew me to it. I remember seeing an article about it in IGN and I said "this looks like a modern day, 3D version of Close Combat."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, that's what I always had in mind. I figured, Well, we can certainly add a bit "shooty stuff" (and if we do, let's do it right), but the "electronic sand table" aspect is my personal preference. Switchology became more important once that army customers started using SB Pro for crew procedure training, so we kinda deviated from the "path of wisdom", but it seems that lately more tacticians in the armies are picking it up as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love SB as the "simulator", the more switches, the merrier.

 

Its far easier to master switches and FCSes than to get the wisdom of leading and planning platoon-sized offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Its far easier to master switches and FCSes than to get the wisdom of leading and planning platoon-sized offensive.

 

Exactly, switchology is easier - both to work on, and to master. But the tactical part is a more worthy goal. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2016 at 6:46 AM, Ssnake said:

Haferja, from what you're writing I sense that you will probably like a few of the new 4.0 features. :)

 

OMG , stop !! you're driving me crazy. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tactics for me, having study-sim stuff like all the buttons in the tanks work, turret lock and MRS update and such is neat, but not at the expense of tactical realism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what My role is.  If I am The Co then 90% tactical 10% sim. 

For situations where I am taking orders, 90% sim 10% tactical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good question. For me I play both and I know that's a cliche answer but its true. Its nice to step away from one role and into another. 

 

But I would also side on the realism side of things. Plus.....the word "tactical" makes me cringe nowadays. The word has lost all meaning now with how its portrayed onto EVERYTHING. 

 

"The Tactical Pillow is a low profile, high density, reinforced and waterproof sleeping device that provides full 360 degree head comfort. Its inner feather core creates a perfect firing position to allow for 100% pillow fort construction capabilities. This pillow will ensure that when you go to sleep, you stay asleep. That's our tactical advantage with..... TACTICAL PILLOW MK1"

 

Plus tactical play only goes as far as how well you know armored tactics and battlefield strategy. I am still learning a lot. So I would never place tactical play as my go to.

 

Great question! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matsimus said:

Very good question. For me I play both and I know that's a cliche answer but its true. Its nice to step away from one role and into another. 

 

But I would also side on the realism side of things. Plus.....the word "tactical" makes me cringe nowadays. The word has lost all meaning now with how its portrayed onto EVERYTHING. 

 

"The Tactical Pillow is a low profile, high density, reinforced and waterproof sleeping device that provides full 360 degree head comfort. Its inner feather core creates a perfect firing position to allow for 100% pillow fort construction capabilities. This pillow will ensure that when you go to sleep, you stay asleep. That's our tactical advantage with..... TACTICAL PILLOW MK1"

 

Plus tactical play only goes as far as how well you know armored tactics and battlefield strategy. I am still learning a lot. So I would never place tactical play as my go to.

 

Great question! :)

 

Since 1997 is was paid to learn, do and at one point even teach the "tactical" stuff...yet I'm still learning.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a never ending learning process.  You sometimes forget things You learned years ago, and they have to be relearned.  It is a perishable skill.

Edited by Brun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...