Scenarios where I can command just one tank?

chrisreb

Fairly recently purchased the game.

Did the intro tutorials.  However the scenarios I have found immediately plunge you into trying to control multiple platoons in an intense firefight where you get no chance to do anything properly - certainly not have a go at being a gunner or single tank commander. If I try that the rest of the force seems to get steadily wiped out around me.

Have created my own initial  scenario as far as I am able given my early stages of knowledge to reduce the confusion somewhat but spend nearly all my time on the tactical map.  Seen numerous you tube videos where the pace of things seems a little less like an arcade shoot em up.  I know things get frantic in combat but it seems like one big rapid click fest at the moment and I don't feel it gives any opportunity to learn.

• Members

Maybe try out the "Camp Hornfelt" series of scenarios that are to be found in the Downloads section. They seem to have found general appreciation as an "extended tutorial" type of scenario series.

There aren't many scenarios for a single vehicle because, well, it's basically a violation of doctrine to send a single vehicle out anywhere. So a platoon is usually the smallest unit size to find on a battlefield. But I certainly understand your angle. I think making your own "single vehicle" type scenarios is not the worst way of dealing with the situation. SO you get to learn the mission editor, you have a somewhat controlled experience, and can follow your own path of discovery so to speak.

Multiplayer and co-op games are good for focusing on your own vehicle/platoon, check out a TGIF game if you havent yet, its a blast ;)

Info about TGIF from the WIKI/Starter pack; http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=TGIF

Forum thread for TGIF weekly games (most recent info is on the last page probably); http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/10063-tgif-2016-scenario-list-discussion-and-house-rules/?page=1

Also, theres these missions that Tacbat made called 'Gun runner',  more of a battle drill/tutorial than a mission as such, but certainly not a click fest

http://www.steelbeasts.com/search/?type=downloads_file&q=Gun+Runner

Here is classic one.

This is great mission for training what ever vehicle you want. Just open it on mission editor and change blue tank to what ever vehicle you want, and red side tanks to suit your difficulty requirement.

If you do not want to do mission editing, you probably want to take look at these missions.

These missions are not exatly just one tank... but platoon or less.

Still will be rather easy and I play these frequently with new players.

this one is for 2+ player

This one is with cv9040 I think. Rather easy mission even for just one player.

Only big trouble on this mission is that friendly tanks tend to get stuck on stones, and so you have to just abandon those and continue on your own. Mission is still doable even when no orders come with radio

Here is another good mission. Very difficult at the start, but once you are familiar with vehicles gives good training.

And here is one more. I dont think that this is too difficult. But word of warning... DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!

6 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Here is classic one.

This is great mission for training what ever vehicle you want. Just open it on mission editor and change blue tank to what ever vehicle you want, and red side tanks to suit your difficulty requirement.

That's all I did to make that scenario. To be clear, I am not the original author. IIRC, that scenario was included with the original version of Steel Beasts. I think someone else imported it to Pro PE, and I just changed the unit types when the T-72 became fully playable. I've modified many existing scenarios that way to suit my preferences. The only reason I posted that one was so that other people didn't get the 'spoiler' of seeing the enemy routes. (Even though they're actually random.)

A more modern, updated version is "Tanks! Again", by MDF. His scenario allows you to choose your tank and the general type of enemy you'll face. I highly recommend that one.

14 hours ago, SeanPatrick said:

That's all I did to make that scenario. To be clear, I am not the original author. IIRC, that scenario was included with the original version of Steel Beasts. I think someone else imported it to Pro PE, and I just changed the unit types when the T-72 became fully playable. I've modified many existing scenarios that way to suit my preferences. The only reason I posted that one was so that other people didn't get the 'spoiler' of seeing the enemy routes. (Even though they're actually random.)

A more modern, updated version is "Tanks! Again", by MDF. His scenario allows you to choose your tank and the general type of enemy you'll face. I highly recommend that one.

Umm my reason to recommend this one is cause the modern updated version is...  well from my point of view way too difficult, especially to new players. 

This old one is just perfect. AI may not be the best, but this serves as a start up training very well. 

And with modern enemy, and increased numbers, this old version can still be difficult to beat. But not overly so. On a modern version, there is very little safe areas to go as enemies just swarm around you on all directions. As it probably is meant to be, but that is at same time what makes it so overly difficult. While on old version corners can be secured to be fairly safe, and as well terrain is more kind for new players.