CalAB

2 hours ago, Zipuli said:

In case you happen to read Finnish gaming magazines (most of you do, right?), there was this curious screenshot in this month's issue of Pelit. Could it be a bone has been thrown? Hmm.. =)

Link please.

On 22/04/2016 at 9:56 AM, Marko said:

Lucky the US Airborne troops don't follow the Russian VDV policy of air dropping BMD's with dismounts in the vehicles.  LoL

That maybe because the US had already tried it jeeps; I remember seeing a training vid that was probably from the early sixties.

5 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

I had no idea the VDV did that!

Hudson: "Express elevator to hell, going down!"

Did not believe me eyes when I first saw them do it either.

But when you think about it if your dropping in to a hot LZ you may be better off.

1 hour ago, Marko said:

Did not believe me eyes when I first saw them do it either.

But when you think about it if your dropping in to a hot LZ you may be better off.

Apparently not, the US did discontinue the jeep and crew idea, they tried.

Without getting too technical, you just can't drive away a vehicle that has been dropped. Someone has to disconnect everything.

11 hours ago, ssidiver said:

Apparently not, the US did discontinue the jeep and crew idea, they tried.

Without getting too technical, you just can't drive away a vehicle that has been dropped. Someone has to disconnect everything.

Did some reserch on the subject.

Seemingly the whole crew is not in the BMD just the driver and gunner.

The rest parachute and find there ride via a radio signal

couldn't find out how long it takes then to make the vehicle ready to proceed to the objective after the drop.

seemingly the VDV regard the process as relatively safe .

9 hours ago, Marko said:

Did some reserch on the subject.

Seemingly the whole crew is not in the BMD just the driver and gunner.

The rest parachute and find there ride via a radio signal

couldn't find out how long it takes then to make the vehicle ready to proceed to the objective after the drop.

seemingly the VDV regard the process as relatively safe .

I have no idea of how the Russians drop vehicles, but from my observations:

You can easily need four large parachutes on a vehicle, these need to be detached (hopefully in good enough condition to be repacked).

Then there is cushioning material between the platform and the vehicle, this needs to be dragged out. ( I once saw two air dispatchers unsuccessfully try to drive a dozer, for at least twenty minutes, off a platform that still had some cushioning material left)

And of course all the strapping that holds the vehicle to the platform, and the parachutes to the platform, most of that is just cut. But it's a combination of a lot of little stuff and some very strong stuff.'

Then there are parts of the vehicle tapped down and in some cases detached. There was a detailed manual for each vehicle type certified to be dropped, I believe.

So I guess maybe half an hour to retrieve the vehicle, if your lucky

Edited by ssidiver

1 hour ago, ssidiver said:

I have no idea of how the Russians drop vehicles, but from my observations:

You can easily need four large parachutes on a vehicle, these need to be detached (hopefully in good enough condition to be repacked).

Then there is cushioning material between the platform and the vehicle, this needs to be dragged out. ( I once saw two air dispatchers unsuccessfully try to drive a dozer, for at least twenty minutes, off a platform that still had some cushioning material left)

And of course all the strapping that holds the vehicle to the platform, and the parachutes to the platform, most of that is just cut. But it's a combination of a lot of little stuff and some very strong stuff.'

Then there are parts of the vehicle tapped down and in some cases detached. There was a detailed manual for each vehicle type certified to be dropped, I believe.

So I guess maybe half an hour to retrieve the vehicle, if your lucky

They use two methods

• 3 years later...