Marko

Soviet export models

Looking for information on soviet export armour

I have been under the understanding Soviet export model tanks and particularly the many (T-72 variants) tanks were less capable in a number of areas build quality Armour ammo types  then the versions used by the soviet union and some Warsaw pact country's.

Was this the case or is it just propaganda .

Edited by Marko

it's true- T-72A in particular was superior to export T-72M1 in many ways. amongst other things late production A's received new digital radios, dynamic lead equipment, improved anti-radiation cladding similar to T-72B, and improved TPN-3 night sight.  some T-72As were even upgraded to T-72AV standard with K1 ERA. 

there's also some rumours about T-72M1s missing the quartz sand inserts of the T-72, or having inferior fillings.  

T-72A also had access to better ammunition compared to the rest of warzaw pact, and export. 

i believe BM-15 was the best round exported. 

There was however no difference in armor protection between T-72A and T-72M1, not matters if T-72M1 was exported or manufactured by WarPact countries, or some country in middle east.

Just like there is no difference in protection between T-72B and T-72S.

The only real difference can be seen in additional equipment like Dejawolf mentioned.

About ammo, T-72A and T-72M1 can fire the same types of ammo, the only problem is avaiability of this ammo. WarPact was privilaged to get a bit better ammo than Arabs. For example Poland used not only 3BM15 APFSDS but also 3BM22 APFSDS which we still have in stocks.

Also I believe after the collapse of the soviet union and the poor performance of soviet /Russian ground and air equipment in operation desert storm all restrictions on exports with the acception of nukes and chemical weapons were lifted 

To try and keep the defence industry going also the T-72B was given a better fire control and additional features renamed the T-90.

Also a lot of soviet kit got western sights ballistic computers etc. equipment fitted as upgrades this I find particularly interesting the polish PT-91 some former soviet states had like

Georgia had Israeli fire controls fitted would enjoy playing such variants in SB. I wonder would the engagement's be so one sided if you were in a T-72 with a western type fire control.

fitted  with the ability to fire on the move thermal imager etc.  

Edited by Marko

AFAIK Georgian T-72SIM1 used Polish SKO-1 Drawa FCS.

T-90 is indeed a T-72B with FCS 1A45 Irtysh from T-80U, as well as new gunner primary sight 1G46 instead of TPD-K1, and new commander cupola PNK-4.

As for PT-91, it have it's own fare share of problems. Because only FCS was added, but stabilization and gun remained the same, we joke here the tank can't hit a barn even when it fire from stationary position. Because indeed FCS Drawa or it's upgraded version Radew is very good, but because of the same stabilization as in T-72M1, and the older version of 2A46, accuracy is not that much improved.

1 hour ago, Damian90 said:

AFAIK Georgian T-72SIM1 used Polish SKO-1 Drawa FCS.

T-90 is indeed a T-72B with FCS 1A45 Irtysh from T-80U, as well as new gunner primary sight 1G46 instead of TPD-K1, and new commander cupola PNK-4.

As for PT-91, it have it's own fare share of problems. Because only FCS was added, but stabilization and gun remained the same, we joke here the tank can't hit a barn even when it fire from stationary position. Because indeed FCS Drawa or it's upgraded version Radew is very good, but because of the same stabilization as in T-72M1, and the older version of 2A46, accuracy is not that much improved.

You are correct Damian my bad, I thought the Georgians purchased the Israeli upgrade systems I read a long time ago they were evaluating it

T-72 main battle tank upgrades

A number of upgrade packages are available for T-72 series tanks. Kharkov Machine Building Design Bureau (KMDB) of the Ukraine is offering the T-72MP with SAGEM SAVAN sights. They are also developing a version fitted with a Nato-standard 120mm smoothbore gun and automatic loader.

Uralvagonzavod of Russia is offering a T-72M1 upgrade that includes new 1,000hp diesel engine, new smoothbore 125mm gun, new fire control system with Sosna-U stabilised day / night sights for gunner and commander and digital ballistic computer, satellite navigation system, explosive reactive armour package and the Arena countermeasures system.

The Czech Republic has upgraded 30 of its fleet of T-72M1 tanks to T-72CZ standard. The first was delivered in January 2004. The upgrade includes ERA, Galileo Avionica TURMS-T computerised fire control system and a new powerpack by NIMDA of Israel with Perkins CV12 engine rated at 1,000bhp and Allison automatic transmission. ZTS Dubnica of Slovenia offer an upgrade for T-72 Moderna tanks.

"The T-72SK tank commands and controls several units."

In June 2002, The Polish company, Obrum signed a contract with Rheinmetall Landysysteme of Germany to cooperate on the modernisation of Polish Army T-72 tanks, using Leopard 2 technology.

In January 2010, Russia signed a €1.3bn military cooperation deal with Libya to upgrade 200 T-72 tanks of the Libyan Army. The Indian Army also intends to upgrade its T-72 tank fleet.

A number of companies offer systems to upgrade the fire control system of T-72 series tanks with thermal imaging capability.

These include: SATES from El-Op of Israel, MT-01 from Indra of Spain, TFCS3-72C from Fotona of Slovenia, Tiger from LIW of South Africa, Drawa-T from PCO of Poland and Sanoet-2 from SAGEM of France.

So I guess the T72CZ4 is the most comprehensive upgrade of the T-72 so far.

Edited by Marko

T-72M4Cz have it's own fair share of problems, like bad integration of components, which lead to some problems, or so I heard.

Besides T-72M4Cz there were also more advanced export variants of PT-91, with Savan-15 FCS, new 1000HP engine and transmission etc.

Like PT-91Ex.