FNG, educate me

vyrago

Hey all, been a tank simmer since M1 Tank Platoon days.  Been following Steel Beasts for a long while, but never took the plunge.  I have a few questions before I do, however.  

1.  Is there a full list of all *currently* playable tanks?  (the ones I find seem to be out of date)

2.  Do most users play the vanilla version or is there a mod(s) that everyone uses?

3.  Does SB have joystick/controller support?  

4.  are there campaigns, if so are they dynamic or least 'randomly generated'?

5.  Is the Canadian Army represented in any way?  

6.  If there's one thing a new player needs to know, what would it be?

Thanks everyone!!

Steelbeast is always more or less Vanilla. You cannot truly mod it anyway. You can download skins to vehicles for your own fun, and have some texture updates but that is about it.

Steelbeast supports, joysticks and controllers, and recently there was added Track IR support.

With the sim you get one campaign where next mission is based on what events came true on previous ones. Like if you fail on some objectives that campaign creator set, it will affect to what mission you play next.

I think there might be more campaigns that you can download, if not then at-least community created scenarios and there is a lot of those.

Community as well rather often plays multiplayer campaigns.

Canadian army is presented on steelbeast, yes. There are vehicles and skins that match canadian army.

And in the community is as well a canadian army virtual unit if i'm not entirely mistaken. - And lot players why have experience / knowledge of Canadian army in our community.

Something for new player to know... hmm.  - That this simulator is more like a training tool to get accustomed for using AFVs fire control systems.  although it offers really much for those who enjoy tactical side of sim as well. 

Edited by Lumituisku

4 hours ago, vyrago said:

Hey all, been a tank simmer since M1 Tank Platoon days.  Been following Steel Beasts for a long while, but never took the plunge.  I have a few questions before I do, however.  

1.  Is there a full list of all *currently* playable tanks?  (the ones I find seem to be out of date)

2.  Do most users play the vanilla version or is there a mod(s) that everyone uses?

3.  Does SB have joystick/controller support?  

4.  are there campaigns, if so are they dynamic or least 'randomly generated'?

5.  Is the Canadian Army represented in any way?  

6.  If there's one thing a new player needs to know, what would it be?

Thanks everyone!!

4. Some of us are trying to setup campaigns and currently one is running 1st sunday each month.

6. That MP event beat most other things... (No really we have a lot of canadians and us playing on sunday games)

Throw me a PM if interested.

Just one not: AFAIK the C-146 Griffon was included on the request of the Canadian armed forces. The Leo2E is a good standin for the Canadian Leo2A6. For the LAV you can use the NZLAV as substiture....Canuk skins are available in the downloadsection.

7. The scenario editor is relatively easy to learn and use. I'd recommend starting with modifiying existing scenario and the go on to make your own.

8. depends. TGIF games, payed at North-amerikan times is mostly H2H (human vs human or "head to head") while mayn "virtual units" play mostly COOP games.(correct me if you know otherwise)

The Ystad campaign set up by Major Duck and swordsman (Kanium VU(virtual unit) ) has human controlled OPFOR.

And I think Major Duck also offered our service as OPFOR to other VUs (again, correct me if I talk nonsense)...but so far no takers.

Grenny is correct as far as I know.

Mission editing / creating is indeed very easy in this simulation, and I would like to say that it is pearl of the Sim. What keeps this community alive and running so well. And still I think that not all possibilities are yet used / found. 

Multiplayer can be either. Usually most missions that you can download and play with others are COOP, while then again, I think that many occasions people prefer that there is real player / or players controlling OPFOR to make missions more surprising. Real players can react to things that programmed Opfor really usually can't, or rather has no scripting to.  Thought even with lacks of AI in the Sim, scenarios can still be made very good and immersive without overly much effort. 

1st Canadian Division (VU) has members from coast to coast. We ae represented in most if not all on line campaigns. We offer training for all SB members on various AFv and subsystems. You can PM me and I'll answer ant questions regarding the sim, or Can AFV,tatics,

beer.

Welcome aboard!

13055692_702373393198447_2729608959401628683_o.jpg

It will be an upgrade.

And its safe to buy now: The price for SB has be reduced. So the licence plus update later, will cost you the same money as waiting and buying the licence once SB 4.0 is out...and you don't have to wait anymore :-D

As a new player / Forum member, can I recommend this thread:

Welcome, new player! Find your first hints & tips here

On 26/06/2015 at 6:12 PM, Ssnake said:

Congratulations on buying Steel Beasts - thank you for your business - and welcome to the community!

The community went at length to set up this dedicated Wiki page for newcomers:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Also, keep in mind the Wiki itself is a great reference tool to supplement the User Manual:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

After that, have a look around here and feel free to introduce yourself to the group.

Welcome! :)

(Also, considerate suggestions how to improve that wiki page (or this announcement) are always welcome in this forum.

It contains some links that will be of use. :)

Like others happy to answer PMs if you prefer.

Unsure why but I couldn't post the link to Ssnake's thread directly?

Edited by Gibsonm

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

Stay away from tree too.

Lonely trees that are different from what you see at forest around, you can usually knock down. While tree types that grow in forest you can't as those "currendly" are hard as rock, and you often may end up losing some of your crew.

Steelbeast can only model X amount of trees per square, and it is truly not that many. Even most dense forest you can be cruising with your tank with no trouble. In turn... you should not cause each tree in forest actually resembles a group of trees even when you just see one. So any... even minor bump to a tree can be a critical mistake. So stay away from forest while you can, and when you have to go... pay extreme attention while moving there. Just like you should in real life. Cause forest are often very dense and you have troubles to move there anyways. 

What it is currently may not be the most immersive, and its current limitation of sim. But I'm sure that improvements are coming over the time. Maybe already on next update where is rumored that modeled map squares will get significantly smaller. So perhaps forest will get more dense and trees less deadly. I can only hope. I have no real knowledge of it. 

10 hours ago, smithcorp said:

#6 - stay well away from water!

As for water. Same thing that I said of modeled map squares apply to this too. Cause of large size of... erm.. blocks that map is made of. Slopes are often (too often) very steep. And where is water, is usually a place that you just have no way to get out even if it would be shallow enough that you would not drown. So.. watch where you drive. 

----------

Benefit of having such large "blocks" that map is made of, is that in turn actual maps can be very large, while at same time, reasonably well modeled for armored fighting vehicles to provide good immersion and most importantly freedom of movement from tactical perspective. Currently we can enjoy rather huge sized games that can be even multiple companies of AFVs on both sides. - While in turn we have to be careful with elements that often are natural obstacles, especially to heavier AFVs.

• Members

The ground resolution will increase by a factor of 256, but the texture tile resolution will remain at 12.5 x 12.5m² ... so, the tree density will remain the same, for now. In essence, we'll make visible the bumpiness settings of each terrain theme (for better or for waorse ... mostly for worse), IOW you can now see why you so often get suspension damage while traveling at high speed, and why infantry often sinks so deep into the ground. The bumpiness factor has always been there (at least since version 2.5), now it finally gets visualized.

• Members

In principle, yes.

However,

• The reason why the embankments are steep in SB Pro are the z-buffer issues. Shallow embankments cause severe flickering at a distance whenever you move towards or away from such a location. As long as that flickering can't be addressed shallow riverbeds will remain a problematic issue.
  • Initially, things will remain somewhat the same because we cannot finish the new map editor in time for the 4.0 release. The new map editor is intended to provide tools that allow an adjustment of the height profile. Also, for compatibility reasons we can't change the riverbed profile for legacy scenarios.

These factors preclude an immediate change of the situation. If we can make the transition without any appreciable change to legacy scenarios and legacy maps, our initial development goals have been achieved. Preserving map and scenario content is, after all, among our top three development tenets.

On 4/21/2016 at 4:57 AM, Gibsonm said:

More generally just watch where you are driving.

The AI is only as good as the commands you give it (garbage in, garbage out to borrow an IT phrase).

yeah it will happily drive itself into a river and drown  :(