SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

It's probably a good idea to have one main thread for discussing 4.0, so here we are...

SB Pro PE 4.0 download is up!

Release notes for 4.0 are out.

Windows 7 64 bit or later required, not Windows "9" as indicated in the release note, that's just a typo.

SB Pro PE 4.0 will hopefully be released next week (Aug 8th+)

Information about 4.0 performance

More info on delay and possible interim release without higher resolution terrain.

Videos:

Video: Weather effects, Mi-8 and Mi-17, new larger power line pylons.

Video: TAM vehicles (not crewable,) 3D crew in hatches. Terrain theme "bumpiness" visibly deforms terrain into bumps. 

Video: T-72s get a facelift along with a some new variants: T-72B m 1984, T-72B1 m 1984, T-72B1 m 2012. 3D models appear to be much more detailed, with individually modeled track links. New buildings with thatched roofs, some round, some rectangular.

Video: Terrain smoothing / automatic road leveling. Lots of new vehicles, including: M1 TTB, Merkava MK II, Chieftain, AMX Leclerc. Visible exhaust (in daysight and thermal.) New smoke effects (tall pillar of smoke off in the distance.)

Video: M1 TTB vs T-72B demo. New particle effects, including smoke, sabot impact effects, new tracer effects. New map in action.

Video: M2A2 vs M1A1(HA). Shows 3D terrain bumpiness, moving suspension, new particle effects, 3D modeled projectiles in game and AAR.

Video: Cobra AH-1, T-54AM2 (or similar variant,) and rain.

Video: Engineer vehicles. Breaching a mine field, laying concertina wire during play.

Video of M60A3 TTS in action.

Video: Playable Marder. Sniper teams and "high value targets" for them to snipe. Overhead 3D view to command platoons. Demo of higher resolution terrain (based on 2 meter LIDAR elevation data.)

Video: Short demo of T55 and T72B1

Video: Tour of BMP-2 interior.

Video: Luchs and Marder demo. Missile teams now move like other infantry, can sprint and crawl.

Video: T-72's in defense against M-60 attack.

Video: BMP-2 ATGM tracking moving tank demo.

Video: German units, including infantry firing an under-barrel grenade launcher and an MG 3 in HMG configuration on a tripod with a periscopic sight.

Video: Infantry formations and city path finding

Video: Demonstration of T-72B1 lead prediction

Video: Driving Luchs

Video: M47 Dragon ATGM

Next, a list of new crewable vehicles (only includes NEW CREWABLE vehicles or vehicles NEWLY MADE CREWABLE):

Tanks:
Leopard 2A6
M60A3(TTS)
Sho't Kal
T-55A m.1970
T-72B1 m.1985
T-72B1 m.2012

PCs:
AMV XA-360
BMP-2
BTR-60PB
BTR-70
M113A2G
Marder 1A3
Pandur 1
Pandur 1 (RWS)
RG-31E 4x4 MRAP
VEC-M1

Trucks:
Dingo 2A2
Pinzgauer 710M

Artillery:
M113G4-DK/FO
Piranha-IIIC TACP

Others:
M113 G3/OPMV
M113 G3/Repair
M113 G4-DK/OPMV
SPz 2 Luchs A2

Engineer:
Wisent AEV

Screenshots showing entire SB 4 unit list.

Force templates.

Maps now optionally have shaded relief. Also, looks like there are major and minor contour lines instead of just one generic set of lines, not sure if that's always in effect or optional as well: http://i.imgur.com/TRQAiQv.gif

Vehicles can now tow each other.

Night sky now simulated with proper star constellations, moon phases, planet locations.

Command detonated Claymore style mines, concertina wire obstacles.

Option to force manual direction finding.

3D crew for most vehicles.

Moving suspension   More info on suspension.

Info about system requirement changes

Big post about terrain themes and weather interaction (wet ground for example.) Significant changes to how maps (both height map and terrain files) work with scenarios.

Avenger ADS. MANPADs at a later date.

Crewable M60A3 TTS, 3D crew in interior (not animated.)

Events can play custom audio files.

Units can surrender. Adjustable training level for troops: effects accuracy, stamina, and first aid (casualties can be revived.) Medics to more effectively revive casualties.

Infantry now have multiple formations, line, column, and staggered double column. Better infantry pathfinding (they shouldn't get stuck around buildings for example.)

Randomized stowage on vehicle exteriors.

Edited by Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm interested to see if you can harvest templates from previous versions.

i.e. open a 3.028 (or earlier) mission in the 4.x Mission Editor and then save units from there as templates. This would allow people to save the work done in the past, but I understand if it only applies with fresh scenarios going forward.

Edited by Gibsonm

5 minutes ago, ssidiver said:

A big thank you for the templates!

Yes they are good - although you could achieve something similar (though no where as easily) before by keeping a given scenario and swapping the underlying map to effectively retain the force structure, though you then have to mess around with the previous routing, etc.

Hopefully over time we'll build up a library (perhaps a section in the downloads area?) where people can go and grab a correct template for a given time frame (e.g. when the West Germans messed around with three platoons of four tanks, or four platoons of three tanks every six months or so - or so it seemed. :)).

Edited by Gibsonm

3 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Here's a comparison between 3.028 and Ssnake's 4.0 screenshot. Looks like there are major contour lines at 25 meters and minor ones at 5 meters, at least in this example:

That is one major difference! I like it. The new map makes it much easier to tell the difference in elevation. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm interested to see if you can harvest templates from previous versions.

Yes. If it's already in a scenario, simply follow the same steps as described and extract the force composition, spatial dispersion, and the (relative) unit identities into a template. The actual callsigns would still depend on the applied callsign template, of course.

• Members
19 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Hopefully over time we'll build up a library (perhaps a section in the downloads area?) where people can go and grab a correct template for a given time frame (e.g. when the West Germans messed around with three platoons of four tanks, or four platoons of three tanks every six months or so - or so it seemed. :)).

Yes that would be my hope for that feature.. also why the 'description' textbox is as large as it is..

I'm not sure if I spoil something if I say that this iteration of SB will retain most of its UI charm(s), but hopefully this will not scare people off using this feature..

Just in case this gets lost elsewhere:

If it hasn't been stated already, it should be said that the relief map is a SETTING in the Mission Editor. All maps will not appear this way, only the ones that the Mission Designer specifies to be displayed like this in the Mission Editor; so, its a property of the SCE file. If the Mission Designer doesn't set it, then you will see it the old way.

There are reasons that it works this way (to allow it to be customized by the designer, as to how much information is provided - older digital maps versus newer ones, for example).

Of course old scenarios could be updated by the designer to use it...

(Just sayin', so the wrong impression isn't given)

9 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Do all of the maps have the option to be viewed with the new relief maps?

will this be something we can toggle and never worry about again?

why would someone not want to use them?

Well why some want to use T72 and T62... or M60 and Leopard 1?  Not all are confortable with modern digital systems, and want to rely on old fashioned systems / tactics / tecniques and teach how to use those to others as well.  So I think its fair to keep it as option to have old kind of map around as well. ^^