SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm stunned! Since you guys have honored my requests in the past, like when I asked for a IPM1 :D, can we see a stripped down A0 or A1 Bradley and a M47 Dragon please? This will round out the older school US stuff rather completely.

4 hours ago, ghostdog688 said:

As awesome as that would be, I'd be surprised if it could. But if they develop that then it could pave the way for human controlled indirect fire (crew-served mortars and artillery guns for example).

Well you can already have "human controlled Indirect Fire" from the on board Mortars and Self Propelled Guns.

3 hours ago, dpabrams said:

I'm stunned! Since you guys have honored my requests in the past, like when I asked for a IPM1 :D, can we see a stripped down A0 or A1 Bradley and a M47 Dragon please? This will round out the older school US stuff rather completely.

I'd very much welcome a pre-ODS Bradley. From a visual point of view, the uparmored Bradleys we currently have look out of place in Cold War scenarios when (early model) M1s are being used.

I love the addition of the AH-1Q with TOW and T-55AM2, more options for Cold War scenarios.  I can't wait to see what else eSim still has hidden up its sleeve, and particularly which of the new vehicles are crewable... 

Does anyone happen to know the period the AH-1Q served in the US Army, particularly USAEUR?  I'm struggling to find any references online.

41 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

I love the addition of the AH-1Q with TOW and T-55AM2, more options for Cold War scenarios.  I can't wait to see what else eSim still has hidden up its sleeve, and particularly which of the new vehicles are crewable... 

Does anyone happen to know the period the AH-1Q served in the US Army, particularly USAEUR?  I'm struggling to find any references online.

They are no longer used in the US Army,the last retired in 2009 or so I think.The ''Q'' was in service in '73 0r 74.Interestingly the Forest Service has a quite a few of them and use them as firewatch Helos.The USMC still use the Viper and Venom.As far as Europe I cant find anything on that either,so im assuming they missed the party.

10 minutes ago, RogueSnake79 said:

It's the first TOW cobra produced in any significant numbers for the US Army.

Thanks mate, and to help me understand timelines and bookend the Q, does the same book mention when the AH-1E and F variants were introduced?

The AH-1S Modernized Cobra was redesignated as AH-1F Modernized Cobra, and could be identified by the air data sensor mounted above the right side of the canopy. The AH-1F Cobra was equipped with the Allied Signal Engines (ASE) T53-L-703 1800 shp turboshaft engine, gearbox, and transmission introduced to the Production AH-1S Cobra.

AH-1S(UPGUN)-----AH-1E  (ECAS) 98 produced  1978

AH-1S(MC)---------AH-1F  Common standard with all ICAM/ECAS/UPGUN and other mods  1979

The US army thought that the designations for the Aircraft were confusing, so in 1988 they Re-designated all of them.  And this made it all even more confusing.  

So the "S" in the left column is the pre-1988 designation, and the right "E" is the post/modern designation.

And believe me, this makes the AH-1 cobra one of the most confusing aircraft ever created to research.  We'd all be lost without Mike Verier. 

42 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Ssnake has also announced over at SimHQ that the Stinger and Strela MANPADS and Avenger Air Defence System will be made available in 4.0: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4258571/Re:_SB_Pro_PE_4.0_-_Discussion#Post4258571 

Tanks can already shoot down AI aircraft with deadly accuracy.  

MANPADS will be brutal. 

39 minutes ago, RogueSnake79 said:

AH-1S(UPGUN)-----AH-1E  (ECAS) 98 produced  1978

AH-1S(MC)---------AH-1F  Common standard with all ICAM/ECAS/UPGUN and other mods  1979

The US army thought that the designations for the Aircraft were confusing, so in 1988 they Re-designated all of them.  And this made it all even more confusing.  

So the "S" in the left column is the pre-1988 designation, and the right "E" is the post/modern designation.

And believe me, this makes the AH-1 cobra one of the most confusing aircraft ever created to research.  We'd all be lost without Mike Verier. 

Nice work and very helpful, thanks.  I can see the AH-1 featuring in a lot of future Cold War scenarios so wanted to understand where the represented variant fits in the timeline and at what point it would become a proxy for a later variant, e.g. AH-1E.

I found a source showing the AH-1S (modified Q) still in service with 11th ACR in 1982 at least:

FMR-009_Profiles_3_4.jpg

And 2nd ACR in 1980:

FMR-009_Profiles_5_6.jpg

Use Chrome and Translate and this Italian site provides an excellent history of the TOW variants by the way: https://sobchak.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/road-to-m65-tow-i-primi-elicotteri-dattacco-controcarro-nato-in-europa/

Edited by Panzer_Leader

1 hour ago, Panzer_Leader said:

The AH-1Q started getting fielded in 1975, and that last one was phased out sometime in 1979.  I don't know exactly dates for Europe-based Q-models, but it would probably line up with these dates. It's also quite likely that some Cobra units in Europe went straight from the AH-1G to the AH-1S (MOD) and skipped the P variant altogether.