SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

32 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

A thing of beauty!  I can feel an early 80s Fulda Gap 11th ACR scenario coming on - M60A3, M113A2, M901 ITV, M1025 AND AH-1Q.  Now that's an ORBAT I can have fun with!

I call your ORBAT and raise you A  T-62, T-55AM, BTR-80 BMP-1, BRDM, BRDM-AT, MTLB, ZSU-23/24, MI-24 ,MI-8/17 not all playable but enough is to make it fun as hell. LoL     and maybe some VDV units BMD-2

Edited by Marko

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

As has already been said... JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

looking forward to seeing you guys in London next week!

Agreed it all looks amazing, crew members visible inside the fighting compartment really is the icing on the cake, looking forward to a sneaky peak next week :)

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

Why?  My 'A1s had stab.

Only questions I have, atm, are the crew members animated (does the loader load) and does the TC's passive sight work?

I wouldn't call what the A1 had as stab. Let's call it "stab". ;)  IIRC, the A3 had an integrated and greatly improved stab (as opposed to a crude add-on system)...

No, the crew just sits there. We just added them, so no, they are not animated, you cannot click on them and tell them to do things, they are there for collision purposes (projectiles), which gives them more accurate placement for damages over the old way.

Also, not every vehicle will have a 3D crew members for each position, depending on how old the model is....

2 hours ago, Marko said:

I call your ORBAT and raise you A  T-62, T-55AM, BTR-80 BMP-1, BRDM, BRDM-AT, MTLB, ZSU-23/24, MI-24 ,MI-8/17 not all playable but enough is to make it fun as hell. LoL     and maybe some VDV units BMD-2

How about 11th ACR going up against a GSFG MRR still equipped with T-62?  I've been keen to include T-62 somehow and now have a crewable Blue vehicle that fits the time frame and doesn't overmatch it too much. 2nd Squadron still had M60A3 in 1983 while 1st Squadron was re-equipping with M1.

Watch this space...

5 minutes ago, Panzer_Leader said:

How about 11th ACR going up against a GSFG MRR still equipped with T-62?  I've been keen to include T-62 somehow and now have a crewable Blue vehicle that fits the time frame and doesn't overmatch it too much. 2nd Squadron still had M60A3 in 1983 while 1st Squadron was re-equipping with M1.

Watch this space...

Don't forget to include the T-64  that was a pretty big oversight on my behalf.

Having seen your previous work looking forward to it.

43 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

TSe419E, no elaborate crew member animations. We'd need one specific animation SET per vehicle and per crew member, I'm not ready to blow our money on things like that.

And, PLEASE, don't even think of doing it.  There are other things that I , and I am sure you, would rather you spend your resources on.

47 minutes ago, Volcano said:

I wouldn't call what the A1 had as stab. Let's call it "stab". ;)  IIRC, the A3 had an integrated and greatly improved stab (as opposed to a crude add-on system)...

No, the crew just sits there. We just added them, so no, they are not animated, you cannot click on them and tell them to do things, they are there for collision purposes (projectiles), which gives them more accurate placement for damages over the old way.

Also, not every vehicle will have a 3D crew members for each position, depending on how old the model is....

"Stab" is what we called it.  I don't know how much better the 'A3's stab was but I was shown a movie (they didn't have VCRs yet) while at reception that was a highlight piece on the improvements they had come up with for the then XM1 and its stab was phenomenal compared to the M60's AOS.  That said, the M60's worked and it worked well within its limitations.

TC's passive sight?

• Moderators

Yes the M60A3 stab was fully integrated, and much better than the A1 (it could shoot on the move, which is something the A1 couldn't do very well, AFAIK). Removing stab might be more representative to simulate the A1, or maybe not, because then the turret wouldn't counter rotate. Either way it was mostly a joke. ;)

Passive sight? You mean the IR optic that rotates with his .50 cal cupola? AFAIK it is modeled. That vehicle has more sight views three tanks put together...

30 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Yes the M60A3 stab was fully integrated, and much better than the A1 (it could shoot on the move, which is something the A1 couldn't do very well, AFAIK). Removing stab might be more representative to simulate the A1, or maybe not, because then the turret wouldn't counter rotate. Either way it was mostly a joke. ;)

Passive sight? You mean the IR optic that rotates with his .50 cal cupola? AFAIK it is modeled. That vehicle has more sight views three tanks put together...

Whole point of stab was firing on the move.  An 'A1 without it would be before my time.

The night vision devices in the 'A3 were initially passive sights for gunner, TC and driver.  The gunner shortly after its introduction got the TTS.  The driver and the TC still had passive sights, the same as the 'A1 RISE(Passive).

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

Whole point of stab was firing on the move.  An 'A1 without it would be before my time.

The night vision devices in the 'A3 were initially passive sights for gunner, TC and driver.  The gunner shortly after its introduction got the TTS.  The driver and the TC still had passive sights, the same as the 'A1 RISE(Passive).

Are you saying you didn't practice "short halts" on the A1? If you did (as my old M1 commanders said was the case), then I wouldn't exactly call that true fire-on-the-move capability, hence not true stab. More like T-62 stab (although much better, obviously). But really who cares, this is not the A1 anyway. ;)

I am not sure what to tell you about the passive IR sight. There is a sight in the TC's position that has passive IR.  And, as mentioned, this is not the A1. Other than that, I have no idea and care not to split hairs.

• Moderators

Ah, well, on gunnery range roads it was fine, I am sure, as these were generally maintained and level on all the ranges I have been on.

FWIW, my old TC (who playfully mocked us for our "fancy M1 fire control system")  said the 'A1 stab was useless in cross country engagements however, and short halts had to be used. That might be why you guys practiced it as I am sure it would depend on how rough the ground was, or maybe he was exaggerating. I have no idea.

Oh well, interesting. They certainly upgraded the 'A3 stabilization for a reason though. ;)

• Members

The ACTUAL stabilization quality of guns hasn't improved dramatically since the 1960s. What HAS changed is making the sights primary stabilized, and to put an electronic inhibitor into the firing circuit that allows the gun to fire only if coincidence for the gun is given. So, the gun still swings more or less wildly like a pendulum through the ideal position, but the trigger gets blocked whenever a hit can no longer guaranteed.

From the 1940s to the 1960s the guns were primary stabilized and the sights were slaved to these guns. So, in rough terrain the gun could not get actuated fast enough to remain exacxtly on target all the time. Add to that the compound error of thermic barrel warp and the lack of thermal sleeves until the introduction of the 105mm gun and it becomes clear that in difficult terrain the use of a firing halt was still needed. The stabilization however DID help to spot targets easier while on the move, and to open fire much faster from the firing halt than, say, during WW2.