SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

1 hour ago, Marko said:

Question, is the 20mm on the marder (in Game) able to take out a BMP-1/2 frontally if so ?

At what type of range is it effective against the BMP. 

The frontal armor should stop upto 23mm from what I read.o.ODont know how accurate this is.

Armor[10]
26–33 mm gun mantlet
23 mm at 42° turret front
19 mm at 36° turret side
13 mm at 30° turret rear
6 mm turret top
7 mm at 80° upper hull front
19 mm at 57° hull lower front
16 mm at 14° hull upper side
18 mm at 0° hull lower side
16 mm at 19° hull rear
6 mm hull top
7 mm hull belly rear
Edited by mpow66m

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of questions regarding the crewable Marder 1A2:

• Is the vehicle exterior modelled with an external MILAN firing post, where fitted?
  • Is the MILAN firing post usable from the commander's position, where fitted?

My assumption is no based on the video but thought I'd check.

Awesome update so far and more to come I'm sure.

Thanks!

and for those wondering, the burning vehicle is a BMP-2. 

BMP-2 is only 12.7mm proof from the front.

marder on the other hand has KE protection of 130mm and HEAT protection of 220mm over large portions of it's front hull, so it should be able to survive 30mm rounds.

• Members
2 hours ago, Marko said:

I seen at least three different sniper rifle types in the vid the Barret rifle interested me as it has a round capable of penetrating light armour.

Hope to see this implemented one day could be very useful

1) Check the ammo selection scene. Each ammo comes with its own sniper rifle. Barrett, TRG-42, Dragunov, and more (that I don't care enough to remember)

2) Only HVTs will get engaged by sniper teams.

3) Only infantry units can be marked as HVTs.

Conclusion: The Barrett will not engage light armor/vehicles.

After almost 15 years of waiting finaly an IFV to go with  the german tanks.

The Marder is still not perfect...but i rather take the 95% solution now(and hope for updates) then wait any longer for the 100% Solution :-D

Edited by Grenny

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

1) Check the ammo selection scene. Each ammo comes with its own sniper rifle. Barrett, TRG-42, Dragunov, and more (that I don't care enough to remember)

2) Only HVTs will get engaged by sniper teams.

3) Only infantry units can be marked as HVTs.

I heard you state that in the video.

I was thinking in future updates.

Still great to see snipers implemented 

7 hours ago, mpow66m said:

The frontal armor should stop upto 23mm from what I read.o.ODont know how accurate this is.

Armor[10]
26–33 mm gun mantlet
23 mm at 42° turret front
19 mm at 36° turret side
13 mm at 30° turret rear
6 mm turret top
7 mm at 80° upper hull front
19 mm at 57° hull lower front
16 mm at 14° hull upper side
18 mm at 0° hull lower side
16 mm at 19° hull rear
6 mm hull top
7 mm hull belly rear

I know the soviets started to up Armour some of the later versions of the BMP-2 i think it was called the BMP-2D

Got a book on the subject somewhere. as things stand you can kill a BMP with the fifty cal in game so i would assume the 20mm  Should be able to penetrate the BMP,s frontal Armour

But maybe the BMP got some love in the update will find out Friday.

Maybe its time my motor rifle regiment upgraded to the BMP-3 anyway. LoL

Edited by Marko

T-55AM with BDD?

Chieftain?

And crewable M60A3?

Dang, I would have to get this. Which means updating my rig (and getting that awfull 64bit OS I've successfully avoided so far.)

Edited by JustSomeGuy
Asked a question whis is already answered elsewhere

3 hours ago, Marko said:

I know the soviets started to up Armour some of the later versions of the BMP-2 i think it was called the BMP-2D

Got a book on the subject somewhere. as things stand you can kill a BMP with the fifty cal in game so i would assume the 20mm  Should be able to penetrate the BMP,s frontal Armour

But maybe the BMP got some love in the update will find out Friday.

Maybe its time my motor rifle regiment upgraded to the BMP-3 anyway. LoL

the BMP-2D was an afhganistan exclusive variant, and lost it's amphibious abilities. the front wasn't really uparmoured, it was upgraded to be all-round 12.7mm proof instead. 

17 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Dang, I would have to get this. Which means updating my rig (and getting that awfull 64bit OS I've successfully avoided so far.)

As far as CPUs go, consider investing in intel. The cheap cost of an AMD sacrifices too much performance. I was going to recommend an i5 3.5 GHz or better, but better to wait for hardware recommendations for 4.0 to come out.

1 hour ago, Scrapper_511 said:

As far as CPUs go, consider investing in intel. The cheap cost of an AMD sacrifices too much performance. I was going to recommend an i5 3.5 GHz or better, but better to wait for hardware recommendations for 4.0 to come out.

As long as its a quad core or better it dossent really matter as the cpu issent the bottleneck in modern computers, the RAM, speed of the motherboard is much more important as well as the graphics card and the real kicker is the hard drive.

I have 2 SSDs 1 for my OS and 1 for the page file.

Best regards

MD

1 hour ago, Major duck said:

As long as its a quad core or better it dossent really matter as the cpu issent the bottleneck in modern computers, the RAM, speed of the motherboard is much more important as well as the graphics card and the real kicker is the hard drive.

I have 2 SSDs 1 for my OS and 1 for the page file.

Best regards

MD

Hi Major.

My desktop has an AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5 GHz, and Radeon HD 7850, 10GB RAM, SB installed on SSD.

My laptop has an intel i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz, GeForce GT 755M, 8GB RAM.

Testing performance between the two using a very busy scenario (many units, smoke, built-up map), my laptop outperforms my desktop significantly.

Comparing the CPUs at CPUboss.com and GPUs at GPUboss.com, reveals that my desktop has the faster video card but my laptop has the faster CPU. Even with the slower video card, my laptop outperforms my desktop in that busy scenario. I'm convinced it is because of the superior intel CPU. My desktop is smoother when I'm map editing but I attribute that to its faster GPU. In simpler scenarios the frame rates are both platforms are very good, but the desktop looks a lot better. But again, when the Russians are on the move and laying down artillery, the frame rates I get with the laptop are superior.

For a sim like steelbeasts, your frames per sec will not be dependant on GPU, the things it handles (textures, meshes, light sources) are simple compared to modern games. However you are drawing LOTS of stuff, ballistics calculations and the AI in the background is working out things like LOS on the fly, movement processes as well as orders and countermoves for the OPFOR. Needless to say, CPU and RAM are the bywords for simulation these days.

Edited by ghostdog688