SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

5 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

There's a "Set quality" menu item as well... interesting.

That does sound handy. Maybe this will prevent having to water down difficulty to "Easy" just to avoid super alert/accurate AI gunners. However, I know current behavior is supposed to train me into using better tactics, but most of the time I want to entertain myself with just a modicum of realism (yet in the presence of hi-fi models).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, the surrender function. They'll stop fighting, and you can guide them around. That's about it. Still, it's an option to obviate the need to kill the enemy to the last man, which is probably a good thing.

Training level, it determines how good of a shot the infantry is, and also their base chances of rendering first aid within the same squad.

There'll also be a platoon command team of four people where the platoon leader can send a medic to any squad, with a much higher chance to "resurrect" a fallen soldier (technically, it's closer to necromancy than to medical assistance). Also, higher-level infantry gets a stamina bonus.

Great ! Now we can create special forces teams !

Might need some new skins :)

6 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Hi Major.

My desktop has an AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5 GHz, and Radeon HD 7850, 10GB RAM, SB installed on SSD.

My laptop has an intel i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz, GeForce GT 755M, 8GB RAM.

Testing performance between the two using a very busy scenario (many units, smoke, built-up map), my laptop outperforms my desktop significantly.

Comparing the CPUs at CPUboss.com and GPUs at GPUboss.com, reveals that my desktop has the faster video card but my laptop has the faster CPU. Even with the slower video card, my laptop outperforms my desktop in that busy scenario. I'm convinced it is because of the superior intel CPU. My desktop is smoother when I'm map editing but I attribute that to its faster GPU. In simpler scenarios the frame rates are both platforms are very good, but the desktop looks a lot better. But again, when the Russians are on the move and laying down artillery, the frame rates I get with the laptop are superior.

It might be so but without knowing your Motherboard speed and your configuration of the os there are just to many variables, and i don't want use time to discuss it.

But to make a long discussion short and so you can satisfy your self you just take Perfmon.exe and make a log of your CPU usage your hardrive queue, your Ram usage, on both pcs

This is a demo of how to use it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645516(v=vs.71).aspx

You can use this article on it , its for servers but its about the same things you need to measure.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-2003/Key-Performance-Monitor-Counters.html

You will most likely/Hopefully find that your CPUs are not that active at all where as your ram and motherboard are as well as your HD, your Graphics card should also be somewhat busy.

Why it performs good or bad can be as simple as how you have setup your Page file which drive its at and a lot of other parameters i just pointed out that for the overall performance of a pc its not the cpu any longer that's the bottleneck also you should look at the speed of the motherboard aka how fast it is able to transfer the data from the cpu to the other components of the pcs (RAM,Graphics,HD).

It can be things like how and when your page file was setup and if any, if you have set to dynamic growth which by the way is default and is the wrong way to do it. 

I can go on and on with this subject but i feel this is beside the point i was trying to make. That a modern cpu I5/I7(Quad) or the equivalent amd issent as important as it used to be like back in the days of 286/386/486/Pentium days (The cpus nowadays are simply not fully utilized by most programs, and that includes Steelbeast) its other places that are bottlenecks.  

Normally Laptops (Unless its a high end one) tend to be 3-4 times slower then a desktop (from the same generation, this also means that desktops normally lasts longer) because the lap have to save power and it does that by setting the motherboard speed , Ram , Graphics card, HD speed slower)

Hope you find this help full and not to much wall of text. 

Best regards

MD

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Hoping Andrea's / PzBtl 911's "hit sound effect" becomes the default.

Gives you the "just right" effect of standing inside a bell while someone bashes the outside with a sizeable hammer. ;)

I just hope they have made the play sound file when a trigger is affected instead of having to watch the chat O.o

7 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Hoping Andrea's / PzBtl 911's "hit sound effect" becomes the default.

Gives you the "just right" effect of standing inside a bell while someone bashes the outside with a sizeable hammer. ;)

6 hours ago, mpow66m said:

where can one get this?

46 minutes ago, Vikingo said:

Please don't forget us Gibsonm ;) 

As promised:

inthit.rar

Edited by Gibsonm

13 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

As promised:

inthit.rar

Thanks Gibsonm ! That really hurts :o 

Here I is the one I use ATM... B| Easy with the volume ;)

Windows 7 64 location:

C:\Users\[your user]\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\sounds\FX

Inthit.wav

Edited by Vikingo

20 minutes ago, ghostdog688 said:

This is a great idea, especially if we need to minimise file sizes to share for multiplayer sessions

Why bother?

I mean Ssnake has made the point a few times now that maps files will be substantially bigger (multi Mb) for "multiplayer sessions" so it seems a bit pointless to be sending out big files for that but trying to minimise the size of a sound file?

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Personal preference of course, but I find that one is "just" a thud, whereas the other has the residual effects too.

Yeah, Shame we can't have both (or more) in aleatory way to give extra FX. Never see a firing test video with microphones inside a tank to check more "how it feels" So... time to ask the professionals  B| the little detail is that you have to survive for know and share it! :/ Don't wanna try!! 9_9 ps: I remember a live action video with some sound... please stand by.

Update: (check 5 minutes mark... but well is not from other tank. But still a hit sound and feels frightening)

youtube.com/watch?v=9gQssASXlew

(I didn't wrote http+www for no clutter here. More knowing I'm going off road... mean off topic :$ don't want to know the "inthit sound" from moderators 9_9)

Edited by Vikingo
Video Added

10 minutes ago, TankHunter said:

You make one (via another program not provided by eSim) or find a file somewhere, place it in the "Media" folder and through an event play it during a mission.

Great news.

I intend to test this in Rolling Thunder 16 (4.x) for the ADMs (Atomic Demolition Munitions).

In the 3.028 version there is an arty mission and a bunch of IEDs to create a bit of noise and smoke and damage (with the downside of the shell noise). This provides localised effects and a text message.

In the 4.x I hope I can just have an event which triggers the playing of "detonation.wav" (or similar) and displaying the text message.

Unsure if its directional, etc. (does someone 5km way hear the same volume as someone 15km away) but that's what the testing should show.

Edited by Gibsonm

4 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Why bother?

I mean Ssnake has made the point a few times now that maps files will be substantially bigger (multi Mb) for "multiplayer sessions" so it seems a bit pointless to be sending out big files for that but trying to minimise the size of a sound file?

A 1 minute .wav file at 44khz, stereo is around 15mb.

An .ogg file at the same sample rate and length is about 600kb

4 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Great news.

I intend to test this in Rolling Thunder 16 (4.x) for the ADMs (Atomic Demolition Munitions).

In the 3.028 version there is an arty mission and a bunch of IEDs to create a bit of noise and smoke and damage (with the downside of the shell noise). This provides localised effects and a text message.

In the 4.x I hope I can just have an event which triggers the playing of "detonation.wav" (or similar) and displaying the text message.

Unsure if its directional, etc. (does someone 5km way hear the same volume as someone 15km away) but that's what the testing should show.

Its global. So everyone hears the same thing at the same time on the same side. Its not ideal for such things as muezzin calls or a boom at xxxx xxxx map location propagating out.