SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

44 minutes ago, TankHunter said:

You make one (via another program not provided by eSim) or find a file somewhere, place it in the "Media" folder and through an event play it during a mission.

hmmm,ok thnx.has some possibilities.did you guys use it Beta testing.any examples?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

att people of kazan, task force alfa will be conduction a clearing operation in your village, stay inside, anyone outside will be considered hostile.  Unit " X" is in area "Y" is a possible message we used and could be used here in Sb I would think.

4 hours ago, mpow66m said:

whatd would you use for,as an helo assualt starts all of the sudden Ravels Bolero starts blasting out of the speakers,lol.or the Stones.

Surely Wagner ....?

Or maybe (closer to home) some sort of Kelly's Heroes loud speaker effects linked to SGT Oddball's tank platoon?

Edited by Gibsonm

10 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Ssnake has confirmed inclusion of the BTR-60PB in v4.0 over at SimHQ: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4261546/Re:_SB_Pro_PE_4.0_-_Discussion#Post4261546.  Another good vehicle to have in the OPFOR stable, thanks eSim!

Indeed another great addition.

Still more to come

Just for fun I am going to speculate about tomorrows playable vehicles announcement.

I am going with the Leclerc. T-55AM. luchs.  and with fingers crossed a BMP-1 or 2 and T-64.

No mater what's coming already very pleased with What's already been announced

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...although the use of Ravel's "Bolero" is somewhat ... intriguiing in a morbid way.

Well at the final cresendo as the music fades we can use Gibson tacticalnuke .wav,then have everyone one the screen wipedout,mission over warning,your computer melts down and all the wiring in your house is fried.lol,

On 5/17/2016 at 3:18 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

You realize that's already in DCS, right?

Back to SB 4.0

Do the snipers have first person functionality? If not, can they aim better than the poor riflemen?

Will infantry units have anything other than line formation?

IF you can get it to work. 

• Members

Sniper teams have the observer enabled. So you can designate targets, but not shoot yourself. And yes, they are better shots - but at a low rate of fire. Yes, Infantry squads will have three formations - (staggered) line, column, and staggered double column. Above all, better obstacle avoidance. In urban environments you no longer lose half your squad just for crossing a street.

Maybe some of our ITEC visitors want to talk a bit about what they saw.

I like that, Ssnake. It's a fair balance and allows the commander nominate targets (AT assets, HVT, exposed crew etc) and leave the rest to the AI :).

If the team is equipped with an anti-materiel rifle (say Barrett .50 etc), can we nominate soft skinned vehicles (for example scouts or jeeps)

Edited by ghostdog688

• Members

Maybe. The problem is, I'm out of office since last Friday, and will continue to be on the road for another three weeks (I think I wrote that in this forum as early as in March). So I'd need to take that video on my notebook, cut the video on the notebook (I wouldn't like doing it as the notebook isn't very conducive to those kinds of tasks ... but it'd be possible). Where things are beginning to fall apart is uploading the video from a hotel wifi to YouTube. I'm somewhat skeptical that I'll get that to work.

2 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe. The problem is, I'm out of office since last Friday, and will continue to be on the road for another three weeks (I think I wrote that in this forum as early as in March). So I'd need to take that video on my notebook, cut the video on the notebook (I wouldn't like doing it as the notebook isn't very conducive to those kinds of tasks ... but it'd be possible). Where things are beginning to fall apart is uploading the video from a hotel wifi to YouTube. I'm somewhat skeptical that I'll get that to work.

If you can, upload it elsewhere as unlisted and then on hotel wifi you can just set it to public :)

On 5/17/2016 at 1:13 AM, Ssnake said:

Yeah, the surrender function. They'll stop fighting, and you can guide them around. That's about it. Still, it's an option to obviate the need to kill the enemy to the last man, which is probably a good thing.

Training level, it determines how good of a shot the infantry is, and also their base chances of rendering first aid within the same squad.

There'll also be a platoon command team of four people where the platoon leader can send a medic to any squad, with a much higher chance to "resurrect" a fallen soldier (technically, it's closer to necromancy than to medical assistance). Also, higher-level infantry gets a stamina bonus.

That is all so weird. It sounds like from entire different game. Is this coming in Steelbeast 4.0? 

Soo...  did I get it right...  in mission editor one can actually set the training level of infantry that will affect their skills with weapons, ability to survive and even to revive, and mobility (stamina)? 

I'm as well curious of this surrender thing...  is it just particular unit or all units in party?

Oh btw...  I have been wanting to ask this a long time just to make sure - Now when we will have visible crew inside vehicles. Will enemy troops actually try to engage visible crew members of tank... like unbuttoned commander of tank for example

44 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Sniper teams have the observer enabled. So you can designate targets, but not shoot yourself. And yes, they are better shots - but at a low rate of fire. Yes, Infantry squads will have three formations - (staggered) line, column, and staggered double column. Above all, better obstacle avoidance. In urban environments you no longer lose half your squad just for crossing a street.

Shame about first person functionality. Perhaps in the future.

Good news about infantry formations and pathfinding. 

Is there any visual feedback on rate of fire? It would be nice to know when snipers are ready to fire - or when they will take their next shot. A countdown of some sort, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe some of our ITEC visitors want to talk a bit about what they saw.

Okay.

:)

ITEC AAR:

So the new "Command & Conquer" view (aka God, Birdseye, top down) is fantastic for the direction of Mech Inf Platoons.

You can see where each individual man in a fire team is, as long as you're not in low earth orbit zoom wise

Bearing in mind this is a first iteration of a new feature it has the potential to be the default way of commanding/controlling a mission.

You will only ever see what your men can see, so there is no omnipotence/"Helicopter General"

And it is an everyone has it on no one has it option in the mission editor.

3D world view methods of commanding will enable leading of multiple units with out a map screen to be possible.

It's also easier to get lost with the "determine azimuth" feature turned on.

However the single biggest improvement is the way the AI infantry deal with obstacles.

A team of 10 men will fold in to "follow the leader" through a narrow obstacle.

They will autonomously shift to a "Form of Column" formation and then spread out again into a line formation once past the obstacle.

It's not exactly neat as each man does his own "thing", but it is a vast improvement on before.

Vis a Vis the Video, It might be better to ask a beta tester/trusted minion to put something together.

Either way I can say, it works.

Which vehicles are playable.

I shall leave that to Ssnake.

(Some will pleased, some less so)

Regarding technical running of the software, Christoph the "Caster of Code" tells me that the sim will be shifting more of the workload to the GPU for the new terrain engine.

The new explosions are the mutts nutts, using the Marder's Burst fire is fun!

(Sorry I didn't get round to seeing if the Milan is implemented.)

The new M60 is bitchin'

And has more sight views than you can shake a stick at.

It is a real labour of love this one. 

All Cav Gunner needs is his old CVC and a gallon of Diesel and He'll be back home. :)

(I for one am planning a multi crew mission for gunner commander fun.)

The Chieftain produces white exhaust smoke, but not as much as it should. :)

And its far too reliable. :D

And Mr. Al Delaney  seems to be enjoying his retirement, and "Business trips"

He's pondering turning his new pad into a small holding.

I called it the "Close Combat" view, it reminded me so much of that staple of my youth.

1 hour ago, mpow66m said:

hmmm,ok thnx.has some possibilities.did you guys use it Beta testing.any examples?

I have used it for ambient combat sounds at the start of missions (a la the combat mission series) so as to give the feeling that you are in or part of a larger engagement.