• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, DK-DDAM said:

thats not a bad amount.

when i started making models for SB, the max polycount was 2000 polygons and 512x512 texture. 

some of those models are still in SB (HEMTT) and yeah, they look pretty terrible. 

Deja, they only look "terrible" in comparison to the newer ones. I know I couldn't do a better job, so as long as the systems and tactics are real, I'm happy. No complaints here :)

its like saying "oh, I've got all these diamonds and one rubbish looking ruby". You've still got something good there!

Edited by ghostdog688

Speaking of polygons, are any of the old playable vehicles getting facelifts in 4.0? Namely the CV9040. The vehicle models in this game are awesom and do not compare to anything else. But as said before, it's the realisim and immersion that keeps pulling me back in. Keep up the fantastic work!

Edited by Rosmarus

Talking about decals and most likely off topic, but here goes, a long, long time ago, there was talk about to be able to have more then one decal for a vehicle, for example bumper numbers, A-33, A-34, and so on.

Has that capability been added to 4.0?

1 minute ago, JohnO said:

Talking about decals and most likely off topic, but here goes, a long, long time ago, there was talk about to be able to have more then one decal for a vehicle, for example bumper numbers, A-33, A-34, and so on.

I would like to see that carried a step further to skins and be able to choose a skin when you place the unit. That way we could have multiple uniforms on the same side.

56 minutes ago, dejawolf said:

when i started making models for SB, the max polycount was 2000 polygons and 512x512 texture. 

some of those models are still in SB (HEMTT) and yeah, they look pretty terrible. 

Why are normal maps not being used?  You can make 2000 polygons look like 30000 polygons. The left one is 30,000+ polygons and the right one is 632 polygons with a normal generated from the high poly mesh.

pic.gif

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Why are normal maps not being used?  You can make 2000 polygons look like 30000 polygons. The left one is 30,000+ polygons and the right one is 632 polygons with a normal generated from the high poly mesh.

pic.gif

normal maps are used in 3.027. i tried to have them implemented before that, which is why some vehicles looked ugly for years, such as the tigre, bushmaster, and 2S1. 

they were basically waiting for normal/specular mapping. 

it's just when you need to have chain and balls hanging down from the rear turret, and moderately detailed roadwheels that doesn't look like square lego blocks

and a detailed sprocket with holes in it, that the polycount starts rising. all the little detail sticking out from the hull like the louvres on the back of the M60, and  maintenance access handles and such will look "flat" even when normal mapped, since they won't stick out. and trust me when i say i keep them as low as possible without them starting to look ugly. most of them are 4-sided when in real life they are round.

Edited by dejawolf

10 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Any updates regarding map graphics? mostly thinking of prepared enemy/friendly symbols to add to the map and send to company for example in stead of having to draw them by hand as we do now. 

/KT

Have you tried "Copy and Paste"?

I use that with German text and all the "unusual" (at least to me) letters.

E.g. Select "Löschenrod" from Google maps, copy.

Go to SB Mission Editor, create Text, Paste.

I'll try a Mil Symbol editor and let you know.

Edited by Gibsonm

4 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

... Polygon angles on curved areas of the road. No real detail on the maps to make you feel like you are on planet Earth. ....

Well then don't buy it I guess.

I'm pretty sure Ssnake has said, more than once, that the maps will need to be progressively rebuilt to take advantage of the framework that 4.0 provides.

So yes initially you'll see little change then as maps are updated they will display more and more of the things that you are interested in.

Edited by Gibsonm

4 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

Side-scraping and ambushing just can't be done with SB Pro because there really is no "urban" environment. At least, we haven't seen any.

Well you can't do "side scraping" because it doesn't exist in the real world.

There is a fair bit of urban environment (maybe not New York City) already available on maps.

Sure there aren't any 4.x screenshots but look at say Falli's 3.028 Fulda map for a bunch of urban area.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I've seen it. Anyway, the basic idea is that you set in the terrain theme two extreme ground conditions, "completely dry" and "completely soaked". SB Pro will then interpolate between these extremes. The initial weather control point's precipitation will set the initial ground condition; no precipitation = dry ground conditions. Light precipitation: 25% moisture; medium precipitation = 50% moisture, etc.

I concede that maybe there should be no dust at all at 25% ground moisture level. But these are all just figures. We can change them easily, and some tweaking is still to be expected in the next round of the beta test.

Ssnake,

No offence meant, it was just a joke (I didn't mean the dust being displayed meant the weather system was a joke).

A bit like flying on Concorde and complaining that the peanuts are stale.

53 minutes ago, JohnO said:

49 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

I would like to see that carried a step further to skins and be able to choose a skin when you place the unit. That way we could have multiple uniforms on the same side.

Well given that Deja's M60 video had vehicles with different kit (some M60s had packs on the turrets, others roadwheels) I guess some form of customisation is now possible.

Edited by Gibsonm

38 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well you can't do "side scraping" because it doesn't exist in the real world.

There is a fair bit of urban environment (maybe not New York City) already available on maps.

Sure there aren't any 4.x screenshots but look at say Falli's 3.028 Fulda map for a bunch of urban area.

What is "side scraping" anyway??

10 minutes ago, Grenny said:

What is "side scraping" anyway??

Its a game thing where you angle the vehicle so that you can exploit the automatic ricochet mechanics.

In most of these games if the round hits at a certain angle it bounces regardless. So people do something like "cover" but happily expose part of the vehicle because they know even if they are hit, they'll be OK.

Don't know (not bothered to find it) if it applies universally of if there are different angles for solid shot, APCR, APDS, APFSDS, HEAT, HEP, HESH, etc.

But this is in an alternative universe where tracks are re attached in under a minute (regardless of possible suspension damage), chocolate makes a marked improvement to crew performance, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm

Talking about realism or fancy graphics I go 100% for realism. I play simulators since "Spitfire" in Commodore 64. Have a blast with "Gunship 2000" in Amiga 500. All the sims of PC times that time and money let my try all these last years. Have my best memories playing with friends "Operation Flashpoint" since day 0 (not a true tank sim but with MODs you can have a nice (fun) experience) and they were the first ones to introduce many new and original things never seen before. "ARMA 3" is the best for infantry and I still miss the 3D tank interiors of the times of OF (they downgrade even more the sim part on that) I played "Armored Warfare" for a few days but is an Arcade. Looks good, yes but I never have the "fear" sensation I have with "Steel Beast Pro". Here in my room with lights turn off and just my red led light for see the keyboard and in a few seconds I feel inside the tank. And that is the thing I want of a SIMULATOR. And now that 4.0 will add more content and things I only dreamed in the past I can't be more happy and excited. Graphics and sounds are important but if you ONLY get that after a few hours the ride ends. At least for me is that way. Maybe I learn in the past to fill the empty places in sims with my imagination but I don't regret that. I feel happy to see the advances since 8-bits and Steel Beast 4.0 64-bits will be a dream came true. Bet on that. (sorry for the "english")

Edited by Vikingo

50 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well given that Deja's M60 video had vehicles with different kit (some M60s had packs on the turrets, others roadwheels) I guess some form of customisation is now possible.

Well dam, guess I will have to look harder when videos play instead of watching in awe