Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 17. 5. 2016 at 4:49 PM, Scrapper_511 said:

As far as CPUs go, consider investing in intel. The cheap cost of an AMD sacrifices too much performance. I was going to recommend an i5 3.5 GHz or better, but better to wait for hardware recommendations for 4.0 to come out.

I have Core2Duo E8400 which used to be high-end in it's time, so I keep hoping that is enough to most SB 4.0 scenarios - especially considering the notion about how "most of SB is single-threaded and higher CPU frequency is more important than multiple cores"?

However, I had my current rig optimized for "retro" (well, I'm a Mainframe guy anyway), so only 4GB RAM, legacy 32b OS and passive-cooled GPU. So I'd have to add way more RAM (8GB?), 64b OS (which I hate) to support it, and actively-cooled GPU (and maybe new PSU for it.)

Any clue on what is the minimal GPU performance level I should be looking for if I want to run 4.0? The less power consumption (and cost), the better, obviously...

Ive had frame drops even on a 1500mhz 980ti, coupled with an i5 6600k at 4.6 ghz and 16 gigs of 2100mhz ram.

I guess some scenes are just engine limited, so its hard to gauge when hardware is the weak link.

No such thing as a PC that can fluidly handle *any* scenario. It is quite possible to completely bog down the game by deploying whole Regiments in high intensity combat with accurate footprints and complex terrain.

Fun to make and look at, but not as much fun to play.

However, with restraint a tactical vignette can run successfully on lower hardware quite successfully.

With the switch to 64bit and the 'larger' map formats the requirement for RAM at least should be expected to increase substantially. We will get example 'benchmarks' from the testing team once the optimisation/bug fix on the LOS calculations are done - probably best to make HW decisions after these are published IMO.

Edited by GSprocket

3 hours ago, Vacquero said:

Nice little predawn firefight.

SS_20_03_33.jpg

I know some vehicles in 4.0 will have unique clutter visible on them, but am I seeing different ID numbers in the tanks above too? If so, is this awesome feature available for all vehicles?

Thanks for the pics Vacquero. They look great!

2 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

I know some vehicles in 4.0 will have unique clutter visible on them, but am I seeing different ID numbers in the tanks above too? If so, is this awesome feature available for all vehicles?

Thanks for the pics Vacquero. They look great!

A call sign template with linkages to vehicle decalls would be great (perhaps we are not quite there yet though).

A Sqn  - Triangle

B Sqn - Square

C Sqn - Circle, etc.

Or the Chevron system, etc.

Would be ideal. :)

Looks like there may just be two different tanks, upon closer inspection (two of the tanks have same ID). Sorry, to this day I still get T-55 and T-62 confused. To my credit, I can't see the wheels.

Someday perhaps. Hang tight, Gibson.

Edited by Scrapper_511

Or the Chevron system, etc.

And that's the problem, its different for pretty much every nation.   We've had long discussions about implementations of tactical marking systems.   It's not a question of if we'd like to do it.   Buts its a thing that, if and when we could make time for it, will be painful and tedious.   Going back and editing our growing catalog of vehicles with different artwork, and scripting based on nationality.  

Some people will say just do something generic.  A basic East, and west set.  An easy example is your generic Chevron system for the western vehicles.  But as I stated, even Chevron markings are used to signify different things in NATO countries.  In some cases different things depending on the Unit AFAIK.   Our PE users might not care, and be able to look past this.  But our military customers would say, "That's neat, why are our markings broken?".   

They would view it as taking a step backwards.   Now they have to explain why these things are not correct to everyone that receives training using our software.   We would be forced to disable it in Pro.   To do a generic system anyway knowing all of this, knowing that our best paying customers would not get to use it, and how much effort just a basic system entails, is poor economics and foolish IMHO. 

I can't speak for Nils here, but I believe that until we can set aside the time, to go one by one, starting with our mil customers, your not likely to see it in PE.    

Edited by RogueSnake79
reasons

That's fine, RogueSnake. I'm not at a point where I would actually use the feature to visually identify who's who out there. For me, it's just a bit odd to see a bunch of vehicles sharing the same ID number. I love the generic East and West idea, but you made a fine point about the military customers. I suppose I can always learn how to remove ID numbers from the skins myself.

We artist talk about these sorts of things all the time.   As far as the markings on some vehicle skins goes.   We try to make them as generic as possible in most cases, for the same reasons you listed.   There are cases where we don't.  An example is a skin I just made, an IDF skin for the M113A1.   Their markings are so large, and bright, that the thing just doesn't look right without them.   It doesn't look Israeli.   So in these cases we will put them on anyway.    But as I said, we try to avoid doing it.

IDF_APC_3.jpg

Would it be feasible to make a "blue markings" & "red markings" (etc.) mod folder? These could contain the 'decal' dds's for each vehicle/unit and you could include "packs" for each nation. The client could then drop their pack into the folder and the sim could then select from these based on vehicle & unit designation.

Or would that be entirely too much work, seeing as how you'd have to make a new decal dds for each vehicle...for every possible unit...for each client nation?

It's going to be a lot of work no matter what we end up doing.  Its just a complex issue.  What Raino and I outlined above is only the tip of the iceberg.   The original idea behind the decals file was so that, at a later date when we had the time and resources to tackle this issue, the vehicle models themselves had something on them.   A place to start, we were trying to plan ahead.   But once we had time to look into it again(several years later), we realized that this was just wishful thinking.

This is a very old issue as you might imagine, that goes back several years, to the beginning even.   We have pdf's written by different team members on efficient ways to do this.  So, maybe one day.