Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Swordsmandk said:

Now that we are able to place wire in runtime. Would it be possible to make an engineer put an "IED" with relative ease. Or is that to difficult. I am thinking of enigeer units blowing bridges and controlled detonation?

you can also mark vehicles or persons as IED...

I just use and airstrike on the bridge..Narrow the strike zone to 20x20 and bye bye bridge span..If the enemy tries to use and avlb to span the bridge kill the avlb and wait the,enemy usually will stack up like cord wood behind the dead avlb,then you use cluster munitions to clean house..

15 minutes ago, Swordsmandk said:

Thats all fine and good. What I am looking for is a unit that can, during runtime, place a charge on the bridge.

Well I suspect you may have to wait for further Engineering refinements.

And if you could do it "in game" you'd be devoting a fair bit of time to "prep".

Laying charges, initial cratering, etc.

Most people (not all certainly) aren't too keen to be waiting X hours for the bridge to be prepared and to go through the various stages.

Just like I suspect most wont want to wait the 40-60 mins of so for an engineer vehicle to dig a single AFV fighting position and then move on to the next one.

So primary, alternate and secondary = roughly 2hrs for 1 tank = 28 hours of game play for a single 14 vehicle Company / Squadron.

:)

Most of the major German bridges are preprepared for Demolition. I suspect that the same is true of other European countries too... though not as far as I am aware in the UK.

Improvised demolitions take much longer to set up than have a higher risk of inadequacy/failure than the pre-prepared demolitions.

30 minutes ago, GSprocket said:

Most of the major German bridges are preprepared for Demolition. I suspect that the same is true of other European countries too... though not as far as I am aware in the UK.

Improvised demolitions take much longer to set up than have a higher risk of inadequacy/failure than the pre-prepared demolitions.

Absolutely.

In which case you can go with the prepositioned IED approach and "detonate if ..." type conditions.

I think what was being asked for was an unplanned, ad hoc, demolition.

1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

Absolutely.

In which case you can go with the prepositioned IED approach and "detonate if ..." type conditions.

I think what was being asked for was an unplanned, ad hoc, demolition.

Setting up cutting charges for an "ad-hoc" bridge demo (on a very small bridge, specialy build to be blow up)...needed roughly 45 minutes by well trained engineers

8 hours ago, Grenny said:

Setting up cutting charges for an "ad-hoc" bridge demo (on a very small bridge, specialy build to be blow up)...needed roughly 45 minutes by well trained engineers

Sure but again even if it were possible not many players will be happy to wait that long.

If the bridge isn't "specially built to be blown up" then the time required gets longer.

Also if is not a "very small" bridge the time blows out.

Dropping a multi-lane autobahn bridge is going to take quite a while. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Sure but again even if it were possible not many players will be happy to wait that long.

If the bridge isn't "specially built to be blown up" then the time blows out.

Also if is not a "very small" bridge the time blows out.

Dropping a multi-lane autobahn bridge is going to take quite a while .:)

...yes, I think most players would not want to sit around for 45+ minutes...so doing it with the played IED is the cheaper and as good option. You could add additional conditions like "engineer team must be at zone x...".

Hmmm, Or you could try to blow the bridge with VBIED?? got to check if this will work

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Not any more since a long time

While the charges may not be in place, were the wiring and voids removed/filled? If not then replacing the demolitions in the run up to high tensions could be expected perhaps?

Wars don't always (seldom?) just come out of nowhere.

In any case any Cold War gone hot scenario would have active demolition preparations by my understanding.

8 hours ago, Grenny said:

...yes, I think most players would not want to sit around for 45+ minutes...so doing it with the played IED is the cheaper and as good option. You could add additional conditions like "engineer team must be at zone x...".

Hmmm, Or you could try to blow the bridge with VBIED?? got to check if this will work

Yes, as KT did in his Demolition Guard scenario.

8 hours ago, GSprocket said:

In any case any Cold War gone hot scenario would have active demolition preparations by my understanding.

Sure but its still takes time to prepare:

Get the 2 Star sign off to go to Stage 1.

Do the initial cratering - reduces the bridge's strength.

Ensure the friendlies are across (i.e. probably more than half of the Demolition Guard Commander's force).

Get the 2 Star sign off for the actual demolition.

etc.

Even a "prepared" bridge takes a while (beyond most players' interest level).

Its certainly not a case of drive up, light the blue touchpaper, step back, BOOM! :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Even the prepared bridges in GE had the ammunition strored in Bunker nearby. So you had to get them out of the bunker and put them into the detonation shafts. This was planned to be done in the weeks before the conflict (=not sce. runtime). So, KT's depiction in the scenario including the prepared charges(preplaced IED) is quiete fitting.

Regarding night battles:

1. Were IR and visible search lights implemented?

2. Can illumination rounds be fired by artillery?

3. Aircraft-deployed illumination flares?

4. Does a burning vehicle adds illumination to its vicinity?

13 minutes ago, Iarmor said:

Regarding night battles:

1. Were IR and visible search lights implemented?

2. Can illumination rounds be fired by artillery?

3. Aircraft-deployed illumination flares?

4. Does a burning vehicle adds illumination to its vicinity?

No

No

No

...kind of...not really

6 hours ago, Grenny said:

Even the prepared bridges in GE had the ammunition strored in Bunker nearby. So you had to get them out of the bunker and put them into the detonation shafts. This was planned to be done in the weeks before the conflict (=not sce. runtime). So, KT's depiction in the scenario including the prepared charges(preplaced IED) is quiete fitting.

For the forward area close to the border the ammunition was right there during the cold war (Area of ComLandJut in Schleswig-Holtein). Also Weapons and Ammunition for the stay behind concept all over the Borderline. Sometimes Hunter or people who serach for mushroom found them.......

1 hour ago, StKpPzBrig18 said:

For the forward area close to the border the ammunition was right there during the cold war (Area of ComLandJut in Schleswig-Holtein). Also Weapons and Ammunition for the stay behind concept all over the Borderline. Sometimes Hunter or people who serach for mushroom found them.......

Well, in as late 1997, I walked along central germany together with a buddy from FernSpähKp 200, dug up his depots and handed them in to the BW :-)

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Well, in as late 1997, I walked along central germany together with a buddy from FernSpähKp 200, dug up his depots and handed them in to the BW :-)

OMG 97? oh well it takes a long time....... I think most of the depots in Northern Germany were lifted earlier but in the Area of Bergen und Munster......who knows......;)