• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
8 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

So the Platoon HQ in 4.0.

I read somewhere ... that it brings a medic that can revive infantry casualties, so that is nice (been missing that!)
what else do it do or bring? will having it killed affect troops in some way? Do it have FO capability? How big is the HQ section? (that can be adjusted in the force template?)

No adjustments WRT size, they are always four. PLT leader, PLT sergeant/XO, Medic, and one guy in reserve (the signals man). PLT leader position enables you to give movement and fire controls to every single squad and all the vehicles from your 3D point of view without the need to go to the map screen any more. Whether you do that with the bird's eye view or strictly from the ground perspective would be a matter of the mission designer's chosen settings.

You have the necromancer at your disposal who will do a pretty good job in reviving the dead, depending on your tropps' quality level of course (but even at the worst level he's still much better than anyone else in the platoon. So, by sending him to squads that just sustained casualties you can actually make a big difference when it comes to preserving your combat strength.

And that's basically it, really. The big point IMO is the UI change that allows you to direct the entire platoon, individual vehicles and each squad's teams, from that single point of view. This gives the user a much better span of control than previous versions of SB Pro. This closes the last remaining major gap in the user interface, as far as controlling your troops from the 3D perspective is concerned.

3 hours ago, Grenny said:

Right now they are onyl effective in suppressing each other ...thats at least something, well kind off ¬¬

I think that is what happens, and why the engagement process takes so long for riflemen fighting other riflemen.

The same thing happens when riflemen fight tanks with RPGs - that's why we get the up/down dance with RPG gunners.

I hope this is resolved or at least improved in 4.0

A much more simple solution is to allow players to directly control and aim riflemen. 

3 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I think that is what happens, and why the engagement process takes so long for riflemen fighting other riflemen.

The same thing happens when riflemen fight tanks with RPGs - that's why we get the up/down dance with RPG gunners.

I hope this is resolved or at least improved in 4.0

A much more simple solution is to allow players to directly control and aim riflemen. 

At least the days of 2 squad deadlocks are gone. MG teams where already controlable. And with 40mm HE you can also vreak the deadlock on rifle teams(just arm them with enough grenades) Not very nice and to SOP...but its a solution.

28 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

No adjustments WRT size, they are always four. PLT leader, PLT sergeant/XO, Medic, and one guy in reserve (the signals man). PLT leader position enables you to give movement and fire controls to every single squad and all the vehicles from your 3D point of view without the need to go to the map screen any more. Whether you do that with the bird's eye view or strictly from the ground perspective would be a matter of the mission designer's chosen settings.

You have the necromancer at your disposal who will do a pretty good job in reviving the dead, depending on your tropps' quality level of course (but even at the worst level he's still much better than anyone else in the platoon. So, by sending him to squads that just sustained casualties you can actually make a big difference when it comes to preserving your combat strength.

And that's basically it, really. The big point IMO is the UI change that allows you to direct the entire platoon, individual vehicles and each squad's teams, from that single point of view. This gives the user a much better span of control than previous versions of SB Pro. This closes the last remaining major gap in the user interface, as far as controlling your troops from the 3D perspective is concerned.

Wow that sounds awesome! Love the improvements you are bringing to the infantry! 

/KT

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

At least the days of 2 squad deadlocks are gone. MG teams where already controlable. And with 40mm HE you can also vreak the deadlock on rifle teams(just arm them with enough grenades) Not very nice and to SOP...but its a solution.

Yes, we currently have LMG Teams that can be directly controlled - but the issue is that they can only fire from the prone, and they're so low to the ground that their field of fire is limited in many areas. I thought I read somewhere that first person view has been adjusted vertically to eradicate the issue. 

Here's another question - in the current edition troopers automatically go prone every time they stop - regardless of their set infantry posture. Has this been changed in 4.0 so that they maintain the posture that the player sets. For example, if I set them to kneel and move them forward then stop, will they stop in the prone or kneel?

Honestly, I'm not expecting a June release. 

From Snake a few weeks ago:

May very well be (hopefully, not, keeping fingers crossed) that the testers found new blocker bugs. There's at least one that absolutely has to be addressed, related to line of sight calculations, which are both functionally a centerpiece of the simulation as such, and performance critical at the same time (so we can't take shortcuts here).

At the same time we have a race against time as we have contractual obligations to meet certain other deadlines. That could mean that we have to concentrate on that new project and that we'd be forced to delay the release of 4.0 substantially. So, there clearly are a number of open issues that could swing one way or the other.

It's all good, though. It's ready when its ready. 

as a fellow modder i can only say good glad your waiting for it to release till its sorted... its done when its done... i know alot of ppl are impatient on the release of 4.0, but its better to have a product that works as intended than to have a product just filled with bugs... and that you focus your time on bugfixing is a good thing...

dk

I was under the impression that we were getting two new T-72 models. The T-72B1 m1985 and T-72B1 m2012. However, when re-watching this video I noticed that at 0:39 there is also a T-72B1 m1984 shown without ERA. Looking back at Ssnake's screenshot of vehicles from his computer, there is no T-72B1 m1984. Are all three variants of the T-72B1 going to be available or just the previously mentioned 1985 and 2012 models? Thanks.

Edited by Tread_Head57

The video says T-72B m1984, not B1. The B1's are the new crewable vehicles, the non-crewable B versions are already in SB as the T-72B with ERA and T-72B(early) without ERA, they're just getting a facelift in 4.

Edited by Rotareneg