SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

2 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

In the video you linked Rotar... what is that "Paff" - "Paff Paff" - "Paff Paff Paff" sound afrer firing? O.o  does that sounds actually come from missile? Or is there some small arms firing at same time. 

I think its the small guidance rockets used for course corrections.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I think its the small guidance rockets used for course corrections.

I agree with you... I think the very same way. And I'm asking cause I do not know. If that is the case.. then its like sound of incoming doom when you start hearing...  those small...  eruptions or what ever those are. 

Yeah, they are guidance rockets you see and hear. Actually those were one of the downsides of the Dragon system. Missile made an awful lot of noise because of the course corrections midflight and the steering rockets also made a visible exhaust jet giving the missile away while en-route.

The M47 Dragon was not particularly popular with U.S. soldiers. Because of the missile's relatively short range and signature 'popping' sound as the missile was propelled towards the target, M47 Dragon crews were expected to take heavy casualties in the event hostilities broke out between the United States and the Soviet Union in Europe.

1 hour ago, mpow66m said:

The M47 Dragon was not particularly popular with U.S. soldiers. Because of the missile's relatively short range and signature 'popping' sound as the missile was propelled towards the target, M47 Dragon crews were expected to take heavy casualties in the event hostilities broke out between the United States and the Soviet Union in Europe.

A friend of mine was a Dragon gunner many years ago.

The 'popping' sound wasn't an issue as much as the dud/stray rate. 

An old friend of mine (and player of SB way back when) was a Dragon gunner. I seem to recall him stating that it was a sonofabitch to use and that not everyone has the characteristics to be competent at using it. Apparently the fiberglass tube would heat up and burn the hair off the side of your face. You had to hug the thing to have it stable. I'd imagine that would cause a flinch.

Edited by TankHunter

Found this online,was wondering....

This was a recoilless weapon—the launcher did not "kick" per se when fired—but the sudden loss of the 30 lb missile weight from the shoulder caused many soldiers to flinch badly enough to lose track of the target, resulting in a missile grounding.

On 6/11/2016 at 0:18 PM, mpow66m said:

all 3 are in i believe?

Of my Wish List items? So far five are confirmed with 4.0 but there're a few more items than that (35 remaining). I'll probably revise it after 4.0 to make it a bit more pragmatic and a bit less "greedy" :)

Edited by Panzer_Leader