Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, daskal said:

With regards to the delay - I'd be more than happy if you would just scrap this update and only release one complete, tested and working package for Christmas instead. I remember back in the previous major release particles were left out, and said to be available in the coming months which never happened. So... take your time and realease only when its done :)

I also agree. I'd rather get the full package when its ready. 

Edit - What about an open BETA so we can squash bugs for a full December release? We've done it in the past, with smaller patches. It might be beneficial to do it with such a large patch. The beta team is only so big. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

Nah, I completely disagree with all 3 of you. I want to ride in the virtual Marder  into virtual MP-battles NOW :-P... "the biggest enemy of a good update is looking for a perfect one!".( think DeGaulle said something like that)

Edited by Grenny

28 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

You've been doing without them for 10 years, why not just wait another few months?

No christmas card for you this year ;-)

Ok seriously now. Been testing it for month now, and the handling/feel is just great and close to RL. I'm more then itching to roll it out against human or AI OPFOR in BMP-2s during MP games. 

Also i would greatly miss the infantry improvements coming with this ...and I'd hate to curse about it in every game till christmas.

in short: its harder to wait when you know what you're waiting for

+i'm just not a patient person

Edited by Grenny

I'd rather have the early release without the HD terrain than wait for everything. That path leads to nothing ever being released as there's always some new feature that's not quite ready for release when dealing with a continually evolving product like SB. Also, they did say the HD terrain wasn't really going to be used to it's full extent at release anyway due to the new map editor still being in development.

Again, Release now patch later... B|The ones that want to play the new terrain just wait and buy "complete" 4.0 in december ;) Also, maybe it will even more time for the new terrain. Don't want to wait months or maybe a full year more for try BMP-2, M60... "just" for have the new terrain. Better something than nothing and the terrain will came some day... Let us play 4.0 and enjoy while we wait for the update.

24 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

I'd rather have the early release without the HD terrain than wait for everything. That path leads to nothing ever being released as there's always some new feature that's not quite ready for release when dealing with a continually evolving product like SB. Also, they did say the HD terrain wasn't really going to be used to it's full extent at release anyway due to the new map editor still being in development.

I think it buys time for a full release rather than "something" happening and having the new terrain become the old 3.0 particle effects.

I am firmly in the release in July and patch in December camp.  For those who do not want access to the 'new' toys until they also get access to the updated terrain - here's an idea, do not buy it until you can get access to the 'entire' package in December.  In the meantime please do not come up with bright suggestions that could deprive the SB enthusiasts like me of 6 months of access to the new toys and upgraded infantry.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, markh said:

I am firmly in the release in July and patch in December camp.  For those who do not want access to the 'new' toys until they also get access to the updated terrain - here's an idea, do not buy it until you can get access to the 'entire' package in December.  In the meantime please do not come up with bright suggestions that could deprive the SB enthusiasts like me of 6 months of access to the new toys and upgraded infantry.  Thanks.

Nobody ever said we're getting anything in July, anyway.

And we will get to do beta test its just called a release 9_9 because even with all 5 members of the beta team i would be very very surprised if they have found everything so out with it and let us test it we will anyway just be quick with the bug fixes please :P

I love your work

But everybody knowing anything about programming know there is no such thing as a bug free program so please fix the worst and let us find the small ones.

Awesome work even though we don't always sound that way :S :x 

Edited by Major duck

13 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Nobody ever said we're getting anything in July, anyway.

I am referring to Ssnake's post yesterday indicated an 'ambition' to get some advertised features in July, and that he was cautiously optimistic that they could wing it.  So to clarify, I am in the release in July camp if the cautious optimism pays-off, and 'they wing it'.

• Members
4 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I think it buys time for a full release rather than "something" happening and having the new terrain become the old 3.0 particle effects.

Except, that it wouldn't.

Up until mid October, we're tied up in other work. There isn't much that can get done in that time frame - except the change in file handling for the high resolution terrain (and the ongoing work on the Map Editor, which was scheduled for that time frame anyway). We managed to scrape three more weeks of bug fixing from the work plan for most of the programmers in the team so we can run a few more iterations with the beta testers ... which are getting somewhat exhausted after the second month of continuous testing, so testers' fatigue is also a factor that must be considered.

In the end it's pretty simple. If you don't trust that we'll add in the new terrain engine, feel free to wait with purchasing your upgrade license until after it's out.

In the end it's pretty simple. If you don't trust that we'll add in the new terrain engine, feel free to wait with purchasing your upgrade license until after it's out.

Bravo Ssnake! I was trying to say that before. The ones that want to wait: wait and buy "after see". The others (like me) will buy 4.0 now, trust and wait... the update B|

7 hours ago, Grenny said:

Nah, I completely disagree with all 3 of you. I want to ride in the virtual Marder  into virtual MP-battles NOW :-P... "the biggest enemy of a good update is looking for a perfect one!".( think DeGaulle said something like that)

Me to !  Plus I really want to see those weather effects in action.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Except, that it wouldn't.

Up until mid October, we're tied up in other work. There isn't much that can get done in that time frame - except the change in file handling for the high resolution terrain (and the ongoing work on the Map Editor, which was scheduled for that time frame anyway). We managed to scrape three more weeks of bug fixing from the work plan for most of the programmers in the team so we can run a few more iterations with the beta testers ... which are getting somewhat exhausted after the second month of continuous testing, so testers' fatigue is also a factor that must be considered.

In fact to relieve the suffering of the Beta testers I would be willing to pay for and play the release this weekend - It being a long weekend n all for us Canucks !

Its the least we can do :)

Hi gents!

Just returned to SBProPE after a long time with DCS and CMANO. Updated from 3.023 to 3.028 and assaulted some russian positions on the SkaniaSE map.

Very pleased to see 4.0 coming! Seems to be a major step forward judging by the info/videos. Fantastic!