SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

7 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I don't understand why some of the 'release now' advocates think its OK to make people PAY to be beta testers?

Well DCS do it all the time.

I see your point but many of us feel we could contribute to the finished release.

IMO, I really don't see a problem pay now get half of what was advertised get the rest later I trust esim

Plus I get my playable BMP-2 :D

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Marko said:

Well DCS do it all the time.

I see your point but many of us feel we could contribute to the finished release.

IMO, I really don't see a problem pay now get half of what was advertised get the rest later I trust esim

Plus I get my playable BMP-2 :D

DCS does an open beta, free of charge for current customers. I think it would be beneficial here. Open beta soon? Official FULL release of 4.0 in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I don't understand why some of the 'release now' advocates think its OK to make people PAY to be beta testers?

Oh for God sake, not this again.  Apocalypse 31 no body is making anybody do anything.  As a consumer controlling your own banking arrangements you have the power.  If you do not want to commit or pay until you have the 'full' product in winter I am sure that it is fine with everyone else.  On the other hand there are clearly people like who want the product (or part of the product) earlier and are more than willing to pay.  You should feel reassured and comforted that we do not feel in any way exploited as having to pay to be beta testers.  If you think about it, both groups can have win.  One group (the so-called 'release now crowd') can obtain the product in two installments, and if you do not want to feel like you are being asked to pay to be a beta tester you can choose to obtain the product later in winter.  The issue is about giving both groups of consumers choices which can make both groups happy. 

As far as I understand the release is a tested and approved 4.0 - with an originally planned feature missing - not a partially tested Beta.

For me I would still buy even if they dropped the terrain features altogether so its a no issue for me.

If they hadn't openly mentioned the new terrain we would all be slobbering over the new 4.0 release blissfully ignorant that new terrain almost made it.

If missing a planned feature makes it a Beta you could argue that SB will always be a Beta - Hopefully :) 

3 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

This is where the issue with open beta becomes an issue. The programmers are willing to give the public a chance to have early access and test the product before actual release, stating that it is still in beta so that there can be more testers as well as an influx of money to help support the software. Then many will buy the game and complain because it is not finished and full of bugs, despite there being big, bold, warning, type font stating the game is still in development. It is not the fault of the programmers that many people do not read nor do any basic research before getting into something.

For me, paying to be a beta tester means I have faith in the company and team that they will come out with a great product and I want to support that with funding and volunteer work on my part. The beauty of doing beta testing for esimgames is that we know what we are getting and what to expect and who we are working with. I know the software I will be getting is great (unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe, like the spontaneous combustion of the Earth's biosphere or the like) as has been proven time and again (at least in my opinion) and I am comfortable working with (or at least conversing with) esimgames' team.

For me, to be allowed to pay to be a beta tester and have early access as well as helping out the team would be an honor. But that is for me, and I am only one person in about 7.5 billion humans on this planet, and I know not many think as I do. (Speaking of which, if we lost 99.99% of the human population, we would still have about 750,000 humans.)

Anyway, as was mentioned above, none of us are making anyone pay for the next release, whether it is in beta or even full release. In fact, you can still use most of the earlier versions of SB Pro PE, so no one is making anyone even use the current iteration of SB Pro PE, or SB Pro PE in any iteration for that matter. You are using this software because you want to.

Edited by Azure Lion

My two cents.

I am member of RHS (Red Hammer Studios) mod team for ArmA3, we have a policy when we release next version of our mod when it's ready for release (sure there still be some bugs, but you get the idea).

IMHO eSim does the thing right, they release their product when it's ready.

All these beta releases and such kind of stuff mostly means... lots of bugs, lots of frustration.

So yeah, my two cents.

Ok let me say this. I understand eSims has timetable obligations. The thing I see is if is not up to par then don't say anything about it. Just say it is under construction. When you start saying ok we are releasing Jun 2016, and that comes and no game. You can't expect Steel Beast fanatics are not going to be like release what you have. The nature of the Beast(no pun intended). You can't tell us something and expect us not at like a fat boy wanting a piece of cake.

8 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

But the guys that pay for it in open beta are going to get it anyway. Snake has already said those that get it now will get the update for free!

I'd be happy with releasing what we have that is stable for now with incremental updates and hotfixes over the duration of the version.

call me crazy, but that's how software development is supposed to be.

now, far be it from me to tell eSims how and when to release the product, but to the people who want to wait for the 'final' release, I'd ask them this: did they wait until v3.28 to upgrade from 2.5?

i doubt the answer to that is a yes, but if that's the case there is nothing stopping you from keeping 3.28 until 4.x when the features you feel make the game complete are in place. 

A bad plan on time is better than the perfect plan overdue. 

But hey, that's my 2 pennies :)

My philosophy is this...

There is no guarantee for tomorrow.  Yes, I have a retirement fund.  Yes, I save up some money each pay check.  Yes, I plan to live until I'm just so damn old that when I walk I fart with every step, and cough up dust clouds.

But I could die on my way to work tomorrow morning.  I could die at work.  I could die on the way home.  Or in a week, or a month, a year, who the hell knows.  Would I rather play a buggy incomplete version of 4.0 and get to blow stuff up in the Marder that I've been dreaming about playing with since Version 1.0 and the M60A3 since I bought Pro PE tomorrow, or would I rather see if I'm still alive in six months to play with a perfect version?

I'd rather have a buggy version now.  Do an open beta.  Do a full release.  Offer a "beta license" for $5 for everyone who has a full stand alone license.  Do something, because my trigger finger is itchy!

Salutations all,

I just purchased Steel Beast Pro PE. Nearly a complete noob! I had Steel Beast Gold many years back but now I'm going to delve into this version. It's a bit intimidating to say the least. I'll start with the tutorials.

Seems I have version 4.0 to look forward too.

1 minute ago, Thadwb said:

I just purchased Steel Beast Pro PE. Nearly a complete noob! I had Steel Beast Gold many years back but now I'm going to delve into this version. It's a bit intimidating to say the least. I'll start with the tutorials.

In addition to "just" the Tutorials can I suggest you visit here too:

It is a sticky at the top of the list but I'm amazed how many people seem to miss it.

4 hours ago, Skyshark said:

Ok let me say this. I understand eSims has timetable obligations. The thing I see is if is not up to par then don't say anything about it. Just say it is under construction. When you start saying ok we are releasing Jun 2016, and that comes and no game. You can't expect Steel Beast fanatics are not going to be like release what you have. The nature of the Beast(no pun intended). You can't tell us something and expect us not at like a fat boy wanting a piece of cake.

Have you ever planned to do something that you were sure at that time you were going to be able to pull off, but when the time came you weren't able to?

There is nothing wrong with setting goals and striving for them.

To share your goals with others shows determination.

To admit one's mistakes shows integrity.

To keep going forward no matter the obstacles shows courage.

Let us not criticize but instead encourage those that have these virtues.

14 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

Have you ever planned to do something that you were sure at that time you were going to be able to pull off, but when the time came you weren't able to?

There is nothing wrong with setting goals and striving for them.

To share your goals with others shows determination.

To admit one's mistakes shows integrity.

To keep going forward no matter the obstacles shows courage.

Let us not criticize but instead encourage those that have these virtues.

Ok slow down. I didn't criticize anyone. I said You can't blame the folks that want it now for feeling and saying what they are saying. If they would have said dec release. folks would be saying I can't wait. Some guys are saying give them a chance to fix the bugs for a dec release. Well the bugs have shown up way before now and if they had any remote idea of a chance it might still be messed up jun the time they said should not have been release. They should have given their self time. Now everyone wants it when they were told jun release. You have some saying give them time to fix. Well they should have never give a date. And lets say they can't get the bugs fixed by dec. You will be saying the same then as the folks are saying now.

26 minutes ago, Skyshark said:

Well they should have never give a date.

Well they tried that and a bunch of refresh monkeys here kept asking.

Its seems "it will be ready when its ready" doesn't satisfy a vocal slice of the membership who then complain when its not ready on the date they pestered for.

Perhaps Ssnake should have published a release date of December 2018 and then surprised people by putting it out "early"?

There is no way they are going to "win" in that situation.

No doubt the only person whose opinion actually counts will let us know how its going and provide updates as and when he can.

Edited by Gibsonm

Ultimately, we're all going to get it, no matter when it's released. You can disagree with whatever decision Ssnake and the team make, but you know you're still going to buy it. Because you know it's going to kick ass. So my advice is: simmer down and keep enjoying what is still the best tank sim available to the public...just like you have been all this time. Relax and take comfort in the fact that this sim will always be getting better. Shit, I'd probably still play it even if it hadn't gotten past version 1, because I enjoy it. And isn't that why we're all here? To enjoy a shared interest? To me, the fact that it keeps getting better is just a bonus. Maybe, if you try looking at [many] things this way, you'll find that you'll become a slightly happier person. It works for me, anyway.

Cheers! ;)

2 hours ago, Skyshark said:

Ok slow down. I didn't criticize anyone. I said You can't blame the folks that want it now for feeling and saying what they are saying. If they would have said dec release. folks would be saying I can't wait. Some guys are saying give them a chance to fix the bugs for a dec release. Well the bugs have shown up way before now and if they had any remote idea of a chance it might still be messed up jun the time they said should not have been release. They should have given their self time. Now everyone wants it when they were told jun release. You have some saying give them time to fix. Well they should have never give a date. And lets say they can't get the bugs fixed by dec. You will be saying the same then as the folks are saying now.

I did not directly say any one person was criticizing, I said, "Let us not criticize..."

And I apologize on my part for not being more tactful.

However, I felt that the way things were worded that it could possibly be paving the path for others to do so... at least in my humble, and perhaps (probably), misconstrued thought patterns, and I would prefer that path to not be taken.

One thing however, I do feel that you are criticizing in this post by saying, "They should have given their self time."

My apologies if this was not your intent, but it does appear to me that this statement is an unfavorable and/or harsh judgement.

I am willing to bet more than enough reasonable time was allotted for any possible foreseeable, and some unforeseeable, problems.

As far as 'everyone wants it', I can disprove this easily. For instance, I know there are some tribes in the jungles South America that have no knowledge of computers let alone SB Pro PE who do not want it. In fact, I am willing to bet most of the 7.5 billion people on this planet have no 'want' of SB Pro PE. I even have a friend who has tried SB Pro PE and does not want it.

Also, you disproved yourself by saying, "You have some saying give them time to fix." after saying, "Now everyone..."

And true, I will probably be saying what some of the 'folks' are saying now come December if 4.0 has yet to be released, 4.0 will be released when it is released. Which is what I and some others have been saying even before June.

I am happy to wait till it is ready, that's why I have said nothing.

But there is another 'game that I play' they decided to replace it with a new updated version. They released that new version in January 2014 as a beta, to witch they sold subscriptions. Luckily the subs were good for the original as well; the new updated version is still in Beta and still lacking basic features of the old version.

There is a lot of great new stuff coming in version 4.0, well worth a wait! Give eSims plenty of time, they are the only ones that can say when it's ready for release and how much in the first release.

Personally I think a first release soon, followed by the rest when it's ready. But it's their call.

Edited by ssidiver

I think Plan C as presented here by Ssnake is the best compromise and interesting solution.

From what he said, the whole 4.0 would be ready to be released except the new terrain features that would have to be reprogramed and thus at this stage it is far from being even in Beta stage.

I'd rather have a solid non Beta 4.0 except terrain now and the terrain addition later when it is ready.

The 4.0 contains an incredible large number of new features, vehicles ect, ect and I see no rerason to delay this until the new  terrain is avalaible. Since the new terrain have to undergo major programing changes as Ssnke mentioned here there is also a posibility that its December release may be delayed as well. In software programing no data is writen in stone. So it may happen December comes and the terrain is still not ready.

I am sure E-simgames have though carefully what is the best option given the cirmcumstances and real status of the software and company needs.

Let us enjoy the 4.0 now, and on the meantime we let the E-simgames team to focus solely on their actual schedule while I am sure they will welcome some extra cash from the 4.0 sales before Decembre. We all win. Nothing to lose.

Can everybody please stop raising their own f*cking opionions regard the f*cking realase date? 
When I visit this thread I want to see discussions about the updates content and new stuff and fun stuff. Not a shitload of peoples opinion of release or not release and its pros and cons.

That is just MY opinion... (eat it)

/KT

Edited by Kingtiger