SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

I played SB1 and owned SB2 for a while before selling my dongle.

Here is my question.  I only do SP.  What is there going to be available in the way of content to give me long term replayability?

As I realize that many of the community are former armor or vets and mainly play online.  But for me SP ... missions ... variable replay ... randomization are all what makes it a worthwhile investment.

Thank you in advance for your response.

PS:  I have already watched the 7 YouTube video.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi MarkShot

Like yourself, I only play SP.  I am not a former armour vet or even ex-army for that matter.  For me, the attraction is realistic and accurate simulation of modern warfare, with graphics that have been substantially upgraded over the years.  In terms of graphics, I respect what I understand to be the trade-off between graphics, and the ability to customise the maps in the map editor for replayability purposes.

For me, the major selling point is the relatively simple to use, intuitive and very powerful mission editor - this is the reason why it has unlimited replayability for an individual like myself.  It allows me to consider and play-out a very wide range of 'what-if' scenarios.  In terms of whether it is a good 'investment' for you, I guess a key question for you before reacquiring the sim is why you stopped playing and disposed of the dongle in the first place - and whether the issues that caused you to stop playing have been addressed. 

For me, I have very limited leisure time to spend on my war gaming hobby and virtually all of it is sent on either SB or on Battlefront's Combat Mission series.  In both instances the attraction is realism/accuracy, ease of play and powerful mission editors which means maximum replayability.  My 20 cents worth!

On 6/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, Marko said:
3 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I know the infantry are getting better pathfinding, but is this going to carry over to vehicles as well? Just curious if Austin Powers has been sacked from his tank driving job:

LOOOL

• Members
4 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I know the infantry are getting better pathfinding, but is this going to carry over to vehicles as well?

Initially not, but later it will. We decided in favor of a low risk implementation strategy, basically following the logic "can't get much worse with the infantry, no matter what". Now it turns out to be "rather good" ... but due to our "safety first" implementation strategy the work results aren't directly transferable. We have solved a "special" case, now it must be transferred into a general solution, considering a number of features that aren't even there yet, but planned for.

21 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Ssnake had said that the medics use necromancy, which sounds a bit more like reviving "dead" troops than there being an additional wounded status between alive and dead.

They could always use the Arma 3 standard: Enough morphine will heal any injury (and clean your uniform as well!)

Hmm, how about an actual Necromancer Medic that looks like Emperor Ming the Merciless: :P

flash_gordon_2_Emperor_Ming.jpg

Well, with SB1 you could save your plans.  Even save multiple plans by playing games with files.

SBPROPE lacked that, but I assume it got fixed.  (It was real pain.)

I sold my game at a 50% discount, because ... I liked the game, but was suffering repetitive strain injury.

What would be different now?  I am not sure, but I have hope ... great if there was demo for me to test with?

In 2002, I got Ghost Recon 1 and loved it, but could not play for the same reasons.  Hours of pressing things and contorted finger positions.  In 2016, I completely redesigned Ghost Recon 1's UI with programming and a gaming keyboard.  It is now totally ergonomic.  I can play 3-5 hours 15 years older without any stress related injuries.  Thus, SB might once again be a game for me.

That's my thinking.

Nils, will there be a demo?  I don't need anything but a single mission which makes the entire in game UI available to test with.  Then, I can check for strain, and what programming I can do to avoid it.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, markh said:

Hi MarkShot

Like yourself, I only play SP.  I am not a former armour vet or even ex-army for that matter.  For me, the attraction is realistic and accurate simulation of modern warfare, with graphics that have been substantially upgraded over the years.  In terms of graphics, I respect what I understand to be the trade-off between graphics, and the ability to customise the maps in the map editor for replayability purposes.

For me, the major selling point is the relatively simple to use, intuitive and very powerful mission editor - this is the reason why it has unlimited replayability for an individual like myself.  It allows me to consider and play-out a very wide range of 'what-if' scenarios.  In terms of whether it is a good 'investment' for you, I guess a key question for you before reacquiring the sim is why you stopped playing and disposed of the dongle in the first place - and whether the issues that caused you to stop playing have been addressed. 

For me, I have very limited leisure time to spend on my war gaming hobby and virtually all of it is sent on either SB or on Battlefront's Combat Mission series.  In both instances the attraction is realism/accuracy, ease of play and powerful mission editors which means maximum replayability.  My 20 cents worth!

• Members
5 hours ago, MarkShot said:

Nils, will there be a demo?

Not in the traditional sense; a demo as a standalone application binds too many resources (programming and tech support) for too long a time. I recommend a one-month license as soon as we announce the 4.0 release. Maybe you would rather go for the four or twelve month licenses anyway.

6 hours ago, MarkShot said:

Well, with SB1 you could save your plans.  Even save multiple plans by playing games with files.

SBPROPE lacked that, but I assume it got fixed.  (It was real pain.)

You can name your plans when you save them, it pops up a typical file requester so you can pick the name and folder location when saving.

59 minutes ago, MarkShot said:

That's good.  I will think about SB4.  The thought of blowing sh*t up is so naturally appealing.  A day just doesn't seem complete without it.

I'm not sure if this was true when SBProPE first came out (I started with 2.654,) but you can also remap almost all of the controls in SB to suit your needs.

On 7/11/2016 at 2:52 AM, Rotareneg said:

I like to imagine that it's just the death animations are so long and drawn out that you can always revive them before they actually stop moving:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jeeysus.

They PAID that guy??!!

*Snigger*

Important news from Ssnake for the first page of this topic. Thanks!

1. "July release" could still happen in the first week of August. But by July 31st we will at least know whether the important issues that we're still fighting with have been addressed. If not, I'll call it off. And yes, the next chance would be in the range December '16 ... February '17.

Edited by Vikingo

18 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jeeysus.

They PAID that guy??!!

*Snigger*

hey  at least that was original. If you  truely want laugh out loud  Bad,  youtube some thier movie Ripp offs.  Turkish Star wars, or Turkish Rambo, 

Edited by Kev2go

Well not sure when last you looked.

If truly "daily" then no.

If not, latest I read was still sticking with 2 part roll out with part 1 in August and part 2 in December (ish).

If they can't achieve part 1 in August then it will come out as one release in December (ish).

Edited by Gibsonm

49 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well not sure when last you looked.

If truly "daily" then no.

If not, latest I read was still sticking with 2 part roll out with part 1 in August and part 2 in December (ish).

If they can't achieve part 1 in August then it will come out as one release in December (ish).

I didn't know August was nailed down as the next possible.   Thanks.