• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, haraldhe said:

100% this month? ....really?! 

Despite all the delay I will buy the upgrade when available but......Please just inform customers when it is really ready and tested and stop making promises all the time !!! That is really pissing me off.:S Send us a surprise email with order instructions, download-link and I will be happy as a child. 

When was there ever a promise made? Nils has always said (from the beginning of this announcement schedule) that they were aiming for July, but if they missed it would have to postpone to December/January.

Later a small extension to the release window was announced and they are still working to release *now* before returning to their contracted projects. To me this is the opposite of broken promises, but rather a developer treating his customers like grown ups. Letting them know what is happening and why what everyone wants (a trouble free and complete 4.0 with terrain res updates in July) may not be deliverable.

I feel informed, can make educated guesses about whether a July release is likely (not any more at least), and I'm surprised, pleasantly, that the summer release looks to still be possible (and indeed likely) despite non-trivial issues and being in August. Then again I've seen software development from the other side, so especially since for me this is a pure luxury item/leisure I can take a pragmatic view and wait as long as it takes.

*CRY* I had a schedule setup for the entire weekend based around using each new SB feature, all planned out on a spreadsheet and everything! I quit my job, tricked relatives into believing I was dead, disconnected the phones, and even put CDC style infectious agent warning stickers on my doors to insure nobody would disturb me! This is an outrage! I'm going to vote with my dollars and go buy WoT gold instead...

;)

35 minutes ago, munckmb said:

Thanks for the update, Nils. Perhaps to ease the pain, or rub it in,depending on how you look at it, can you release the (pre)release notes?

+ 2 - so long as it does not interrupt the important work of fixing the bugs and preparing the release.

17 minutes ago, GSprocket said:

When was there ever a promise made? Nils has always said (from the beginning of this announcement schedule) that they were aiming for July, but if they missed it would have to postpone to December/January.

Later a small extension to the release window was announced and they are still working to release *now* before returning to their contracted projects. To me this is the opposite of broken promises, but rather a developer treating his customers like grown ups. Letting them know what is happening and why what everyone wants (a trouble free and complete 4.0 with terrain res updates in July) may not be deliverable.

I feel informed, can make educated guesses about whether a July release is likely (not any more at least), and I'm surprised, pleasantly, that the summer release looks to still be possible (and indeed likely) despite non-trivial issues and being in August. Then again I've seen software development from the other side, so especially since for me this is a pure luxury item/leisure I can take a pragmatic view and wait as long as it takes.

You'll never make everybody happy, no matter what communication strategy you choose...

13 minutes ago, GSprocket said:

GSprocket: I could not agree more with your comments.  I think that Ssnake has been very professional and prudent with his comments.  His willingness to be direct and open with his clients is a real plus for esim games and really appreciated by customers such as myself.  I regard it is refreshing and unusual from a game dev.  

1 hour ago, TankGun said:

Honestly no problem, take your time and make it as smooth as it can be. :)

P.S. Imagining an office filled of hair flaming game dev's is actually pretty funny:D

jesting or not.

At least he still has a head of hair to burn, some of us lost that ability a long time ago .

And are know sporting solar panels  LoL

Edited by Marko

1 hour ago, Marko said:

jesting or not.

At least he still has a head of hair to burn some of us lost that ability a long time ago . LoL

jesting or not.

At least he still has a head of hair to burn, some of us lost that ability a long time ago .

And are know sporting solar panels  LoL

lol

5 hours ago, haraldhe said:

....Please just inform customers when it is really ready and tested and stop making promises all the time !!! That is really pissing me off.:S

Well, we're all as excited as you are, but there were no promises made, so don't be pissed when a delay slips beyond an ETA. ;)

Edited by Scrapper_511
typo

9 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Well, we're all as excited as you are, but there were no promises made, so don't be pissed when a delay slips beyond an ETA. ;)

I'm just so anxious to start playing SB 4.0 I cant wait. It drives me mad  O.o

But I do appreciate the open communication with the customer base though. The big problem with development  projects is the end system integration, that's when all the "bugs" come out unexpectedly despite every developer did his bit, 100%.  

8 minutes ago, haraldhe said:

I'm just so anxious to start playing SB 4.0 I cant wait. It drives me mad  O.o

But I do appreciate the open communication with the customer base though. The big problem with development  projects is the end system integration, that's when all the "bugs" come out unexpectedly despite every developer did his bit, 100%.  

I hear you, man! You're right, at least we're not in the dark about it. I, for one, am feeling good about next week. :D

1 minute ago, Grenny said:

So you suggest to give no info about predicted release times at all ? 

No...But when you set a time or date people expect that to be true..Just have all of the parts in place and tested before announcing a release...If its not REALLY ready don't give a date to release or expected release date..

6 minutes ago, delta6 said:

No...But when you set a time or date people expect that to be true..Just have all of the parts in place and tested before announcing a release...If its not REALLY ready don't give a date to release or expected release date..

All good and well, but the point about predictions is a certain level of uncertainty. Otherwise it wouldn't be a predictions....with your given preconditions, the first date would be announced on release day.

How the hell would that work. We have a maintained product - one that is periodically upgraded and expanded in useful ways... but where the needs of the business make this a schedule subject to adjustment to suit higher priority than leisure contracts.

We play with this stuff because it is fun, but militaries use the classroom version for real training which can save lives.... and a ton of money.

I do want to know whether to expect an upgraded 'soon' or in 18 months - so some announcement of planning and how it fits around eSim's other contracts (in general terms) is necessary IMO. Beyond that I am completely flexible about the precise timings that fall out of the development and contractual frameworks. We end up with a well considered and reliable product, which is a lot more usable than many games are, with a minor responsibility to deal with these realities as reasonable adults.

13 minutes ago, GSprocket said:

How the hell would that work. We have a maintained product - one that is periodically upgraded and expanded in useful ways... but where the needs of the business make this a schedule subject to adjustment to suit higher priority than leisure contracts.

We play with this stuff because it is fun, but militaries use the classroom version for real training which can save lives.... and a ton of money.

I do want to know whether to expect an upgraded 'soon' or in 18 months - so some announcement of planning and how it fits around eSim's other contracts (in general terms) is necessary IMO. Beyond that I am completely flexible about the precise timings that fall out of the development and contractual frameworks. We end up with a well considered and reliable product, which is a lot more usable than many games are, with a minor responsibility to deal with these realities as reasonable adults.

Mil contracts are no excuse. But esim is their own publisher. They do not make a product and THEN start the PR maschine for a scheduled release. When its done they push it out. This also implies, that work is not done when Ssnake gives an ESTIMATE...and with all development projects hindsight can prove ESTIMATES wrong

Edited by Grenny

Mil contracts are not an excuse, they are a reason. They are the reason that eSim can provide SB Pro PE and continue developing it. They are the reason that development windows for Pro PE are limited and slippage by a few weeks can cause months of postponement for a release. They are the reason *for* much of the content that is available for the 'game' version. How likely do you think the breadth and depth of simulated vehicles we have would be with the revenue from the consumer stream?