Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, OldRavenNL said:

What happened to the "High Command mode".  

In this video it was shown starting at 3:00 ..  It says "Press F8 again in observer position to enter this mode" 

Well the Scenario Designer has to enable it.

None of the scenarios built for 3.028 (or earlier) would have it as it didn't exist.

To use it you need either:

a. A 4.000 scenario where the designer has selected it, or

b. Go back and edit a pre-existing scenario and turn the feature on.

9 hours ago, Carthaginian said:

I've been skimming through the wiki since the 'missus' gave me a kitchen pass to buy.
Thanks for the tips on the 'orientation' missions; I'll give them a go. Aside from the 'usual suspects' of the M1A2 and Leopard 2, are there any vehicles you would recommend focusing on early in the experience to give a newcomer a good grounding of how to manage a vehicle?

M2 Bradley - popgun, TOW and dismounts. A good vehicle to learn to use.

5 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

@Ssnake or some other dev-guy...

Will we be seeing the Marder's Milan launcher in game any time soon?

Well, you're already seeing the Marders Milan launcher...the only problem they can't mount it on the TC's hatch yet ?

Regarding the new 'overhead view', I think if the zoom in/out and camera angle capabilities were similar to those in the Combat Mission series it might open this game up to a broader number of customers. It's just a friendly suggestion, I love this game and am really enjoying all the new updates, but I do think a Combat Mission style 3d view would be a cool option, especially when recording game footage.  

7 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Hi...

how do I get that "range bar" in the gunsight of the Marder?

and am I the only one having problems finding Targets with the Milan TIS? I mean compared to the other TIS it is realy bad

1. you only get that when setting realism to medium.

2. the milan TIS model in SB is actually better the RL system. also you need to check/adjust the TIS focus to get your tgt better

1 hour ago, Bullwhip said:

Regarding the new 'overhead view', I think if the zoom in/out and camera angle capabilities were similar to those in the Combat Mission series it might open this game up to a broader number of customers. It's just a friendly suggestion, I love this game and am really enjoying all the new updates, but I do think a Combat Mission style 3d view would be a cool option, especially when recording game footage.  

I think offering a "wargaming" option of playing isn't too far off.  I can think of a few things that are needed to flesh that out...

1) As stated above, a more expansive ability to move around and view the map...mostly the angle of the overhead camera

2) A more fine-grained recorder that plays back in smaller frames that every 4 seconds

3) An option to have a mini-map on the 3d view that allows you to quickly jump from one part of the map to another. 

4) Info on the map about what unit is selected, what their state is, and who they are carrying or who they are being carried by

Of course this would all be done in the context of the fog of war.  You wouldn't be able to view info on enemy units unless FOW allowed it.  Might even have options limiting friendly info, based on damage, position, etc.

These are just some thoughts.  The overhead view and its related features are a huge step towards doing the above.  And they are just plain fun.  Most of those above would also be very helpful in testing out scenarios during development also.

• Members

Technically it's the same on the M1 (ther is a "gun uncpl" switch for the loader, but it seems like the practice is to NOT use it), or the Leo 1 and 2 (gun moves to loading position), except that the sights there remain stabilized. Which, I think, you can accomplish in the M60 too in "stab ready" mode or so.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Technically it's the same on the M1 (ther is a "gun uncpl" switch for the loader, but it seems like the practice is to NOT use it), or the Leo 1 and 2 (gun moves to loading position), except that the sights there remain stabilized. Which, I think, you can accomplish in the M60 too in "stab ready" mode or so.

Perhaps this can be a change in the next patch, then.  The problem with the M60's behavior, for me, is that if you attempt to fire on the move, you can do so, but then when the loader kills the stab the driver seems to want to stop and wait for you to put the stab back on.

I don't know if any of our local M60 crew can comment, but I spoke to a gentleman today who crewed A1s and A3s .  He told me that the A1 stabs were used only for observation.  He said that the A3s were able to fire on the move, but the practicality of this depended on the target, the terrain, speed of movement, and range.  I asked him if the loaders would turn the stabs off in order to load, and he indicated that this was not standard practice, and that the only reason to kill stab during loading is if the crew was "Up s*** creek and trying to get ammunition out from by the driver and load the gun while they were running away from something"...Like a mob of T-64s or something.

Units I served in fired on the move with stab.  I, too, dislike the overuse of the loader's stab cut-off button.  Didn't have it on the 'A1 and if you were really going over ground that would render stab unuseful you would use the short halt.  

Other things I find disconcerting are the slam-on-the-brakes stopping method that is modeled and excessive recoil bounce.  Drivers would never stop by slamming on the brakes during gunnery unless they were trying to avoid a sudden hazard that they don't want the tank going over, say like the edge of a cliff.  Smooth, gradual stops are what we were trained to do.  And I don't ever remember my sight picture moving so much after firing the main gun when not using stab.  Maybe a mil at most aiming at a target about 2000m away, if that.

And that squeal when the turret rapidly changes direction?  That is the sound of a tanker abusing the power traverse system.  There is no brake to stop the turret moving. The squeal is coming from the hydraulic pump as it fights against the inertia of the turret that it is trying to move in the opposite direction.  Doing this usually got that particular person an ass chewing if he were the gunner, from the TC and the turret Mechanic.  It is very hard on the system.

11 minutes ago, []_--__[]KITT said:

Just tried the T-55 for the first time in gun range.

She's one beautiful tank. I didn't realize I could zoom in the optics so I fired away at zoomed out magnification but still managed a score of 52!!!

Will search for missions for the tank!!!

The tank is new for 4.0, so don't expect to find much.

12 minutes ago, Grenny said:

The tank is new for 4.0, so don't expect to find much.

Didn't know that. Thanks!! That would explain the awesome interior compared to Leo 2A5.

We can really have some cool scenarios now with the Shot'Kal and T-55/T-62 where human gunnery is all that matters.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

• Moderators
On 8/24/2016 at 10:19 PM, TSe419E said:

And that squeal when the turret rapidly changes direction?  That is the sound of a tanker abusing the power traverse system.  There is no brake to stop the turret moving. The squeal is coming from the hydraulic pump as it fights against the inertia of the turret that it is trying to move in the opposite direction.  Doing this usually got that particular person an ass chewing if he were the gunner, from the TC and the turret Mechanic.  It is very hard on the system.

Simple answer there then, stop traversing violently. All we do is model the sound it makes when you traverse quickly back the other direction, or suddenly stop traversing.

• Moderators
On 8/24/2016 at 9:21 PM, Maj.Hans said:

Perhaps this can be a change in the next patch, then.  The problem with the M60's behavior, for me, is that if you attempt to fire on the move, you can do so, but then when the loader kills the stab the driver seems to want to stop and wait for you to put the stab back on.

I don't know if any of our local M60 crew can comment, but I spoke to a gentleman today who crewed A1s and A3s .  He told me that the A1 stabs were used only for observation.  He said that the A3s were able to fire on the move, but the practicality of this depended on the target, the terrain, speed of movement, and range.  I asked him if the loaders would turn the stabs off in order to load, and he indicated that this was not standard practice, and that the only reason to kill stab during loading is if the crew was "Up s*** creek and trying to get ammunition out from by the driver and load the gun while they were running away from something"...Like a mob of T-64s or something.

No, sorry, we are keeping it, at least for now.  If an actual M60A3 crewman comes along and says, without a doubt, that they NEVER used it, then we might disable it. But until then, no its like the gun elevation on the Leopards. It was apparently a practiced procedure taken from the TMs.

I do understand the feedback from TSe419E, but with all due respect to him, he said he was on the M60A1 which had a totally different stab system and we would prefer additional feedback from others to confirm it before we go in with a sledgehammer smashing things up. ;)

I believe there is another M60 user in the community (Streakeagle?) who might have something to say on this topic, but I cannot recall if he was on the A3 or the A1.

Again, its not like we don't respect feedback from actual experienced users, its just that in this case (because that experience would be so old, and because it really depends on the exact variant of the tank) then we prefer additional feedback. The primary reason for this is that we don't have the time to change features based on a passing comment, and really need something more substantial to act on, like additional feedback. Again, no disrespect to anyone here.

But besides that, just because a real world procedure or feature is annoying to players is no reason to remove it, otherwise we would have to get rid of quite a bit. The fact is that we are in the business of modeling quirks.