Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, it does have an effect, particularly on thermal imaging systems.

Brilliant, just brilliant!

So that's two items ticked on my personal Wish List with the 4.0 release: Mil Mi-8 and precipitation weather effects. Thanks eSim! I wonder how many more are to come?

Unit templates will also make the life of a scenario builder much easier and more productive... thanks again.

Edited by Panzer_Leader

• Members
2 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Is the night sky in the intro sequence an actual in-game effect or just clever video editing?

It's based on original in-game footage, but obviously we had to apply a severe time-lapse effect. For properly georeferenced maps (not all of them are) Steel Beasts will provide a reasonably accurate depiction of the night sky with proper star constellations, moon phases, planet locations. It is however not an astronomy sim, but we are using some sort of a planetarium program library combined with the Yale catalog of bright stars.

Unfortunately the night sky doesn't work well with video compression, not even when captured and rendered at the highest quality settings with 60 frames per second. So, to fully appreciate it you'll have to wait until it gets released.

• Members

I must say, I'm quite pleased with it. The Milky Way probably looks overly spectacular, but I suppose it's one of those eye candy things where you can go slightly overboard without terrible consequences. For the naked eye, and with good visibility settings, we'll render stars to 6.0mag. With NVGs activated, we show the stars down to 11.0mag (IOW, the sky will be filled with so many stars that navigation by star patterns is no longer viable ... which was kinda the point of it).

• Members

Yes. Naturally, the field of view is different from a REAL night sky, so that makes things a bit less convenient. But in principle, finding Polaris (or the Southern Cross, for that matter) isn't terribly hard. Orion is, as always, easiest to identify.

• Members

Since the discussion just came up among the beta testers... SB Pro PE 4.0 will bring you (virtual) Claymore mines.

They are command detonated only (no setting up of tripwires). The detonator cable is invisible (as is the claymore mine itself), but you need soldiers to be within 20m range or so. (In the map screen you will notice the command range circle, and the danger zones drawn around the device.)

A word of caution: While "this side to enemy" indicates a certain preference for the dispersion of the fragments, they effectively go in all directions, so it's best to have the guys controlling the claymore behind cover.

Maybe someone should make a Wiki page of this. The feature doesn't seem to warrant a custom tutorial, and since there is no 3D model for it screenshots are somewhat pointless. I'll make one from the map screen, though.

Okay, so, here's one nifty productivity item: Select multiple units, and rotate their battle positions simultaneously (at long last...):

1_Multirotate.png

Fine, so you want to set up a claymore. Step 1:

2_Claymore1.png

Step 2:

3_Claymore2.png

Step 3 - duplicate the obstacle, if you need more of them:

4_Duplicate.png

Oh, right: Concertina wire obstacles, in three flavors. More on them later.

5_Concertina.png

24 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

My only experience with tracks and concertina wire was seeing the mess someone was going to have to pull out of their tracks.  Didn't damage the vehicle but it got really jammed around the idler and sprocket and was not going to be easy to get out.

That is what I think would happen as well. Though I do not have any experience of military concertina wire. Perhaps it acts differently, though I sort of have lot troubles to believe so. Oh well... 

Okay I swallow it. Concertina wire can stop tanks. Track damage is reasonable.  - I just cant help but to think of how much crying I will see when people get track damage upon driving into those. But I think we have to live with that and spread the message.

3 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Question... just to make sure - will AI , at least try to avoid driving into concertina wires?  and how those can be breached in steel beast? 

With Bangalore torpedoes haven't you seen the movie "the longest day"

9_9

And to clarify you run the risk of getting concertina wires tangled its not every time it happens tanks where actually developed in WW I to defeat exactly that among other things.

The chance increases if you turn while traversing over it but its not an instant stopper its more like when you loose cooling liquid it will eventually destroy the seals around the road wheels etc... and or make so big chunks of concertina wires that it will hinder movement.

Every tracked vehicle can breach it 

If you do it right AND are lucky. Seen several cases where PC or tanks rolled into a 3-roll-wire obstacle. they where stopped every time after a few dozen meters. In one case maint. team need a whole afternoon to get it going again...

My question and worry is more of...  how it is / is going to be on steel-beast 4.0 

And I do not think that in SB infantry will have anything like Bangalore torpedoes/ tools to cut concertina wires? 

And well...  so far in SB i know only one vehicle that will actually have engine damage from coolant leak, and it is cv9030. All others you just have it on damage list but it does nothing. While on cv9030... it destroys engine 5 minutes from hit - even if you turn it off right away you got that coolant leak.