Jump to content

SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread


Rotareneg
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Don't get me wrong. You can ask for anything. Sometimes however I feel compelled to point out why a certain request is less likely to be considered. Small arms is one of these issues. Functionally, the only difference lies in caliber, effective range, and maybe the rate of fire. Anything else, in the context of Steel Beasts, is merely window dressing. Since there are a lot of small arms models, and since this topic seems to attract gun nerds that tend to get into unconstructive online discussions about the merits of gun X vs. gun Y, I'd rather avoid such situations by making clear right from the start that Steel Beasts doesn't simulate such minutiae.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Don't get me wrong. You can ask for anything. Sometimes however I feel compelled to point out why a certain request is less likely to be considered. Small arms is one of these issues. Functionally, the only difference lies in caliber, effective range, and maybe the rate of fire. Anything else, in the context of Steel Beasts, is merely window dressing. Since there are a lot of small arms models, and since this topic seems to attract gun nerds that tend to get into unconstructive online discussions about the merits of gun X vs. gun Y, I'd rather avoid such situations by making clear right from the start that Steel Beasts doesn't simulate such minutiae.

i think most people would be happy with a fn mag model, and a minimi being added as these are very heavily used by most major militaries. its very immersion breaking seeing a us army man carrying an MG3 instead of a 249, or a 240 if you're an MG team (infact its what turned me off the game after i bought the one month trial thing).

i dont think that there is a need for complex small arms simulation, but having the right weapons for the right factions would be a major step up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Oh, there will be a few more pea shooter models in 4.0, don't worry. All I'm saying is, don't get the idea that this trend will continue indefinitely. In the pursuit of a comprehensive representation of small arms lies the path to madness. I do not intend to stare for too long into that particular abyss.

;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Oh, there will be a few more pea shooter models in 4.0, don't worry. All I'm saying is, don't get the idea that this trend will continue indefinitely. In the pursuit of a comprehensive representation of small arms lies the path to madness. I do not intend to stare for too long into that particular abyss.

;)

i'm very happy to hear this, looking forward to the coming weeks :)

it'll be nice to finally have some new lmgs and mmgs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2016 at 1:08 AM, Kev2go said:

Question 1) With the information offered on 4.0 it seems that when released it will have updated tank models, and in a further updates for 4.0 ; updated terrain.

 

 So question is?  will these updated models still be rendered in the venerable DX9? or are there plans to move up to DX11 graphical rendering.

 

 

Question 2)   is there going to be introduction  of modern infantry? currently usa blueforce has infantry squads wearing M83 woodland Bdu , pasgat helmets, and armed with M16A2's.   Equipment of  80s - late 90s vintage.

 

Current infantry would have MICH or ADV  combat helmets, armed with M4 Carbines, wearing either ACU bdu or  Multicam Bdu

 

already in SB. switch to US 2000 in mission editor to get them. 

they also have functioning body armour. 

 

modernsoldiers.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, guccimanetraplord said:

i'm very happy to hear this, looking forward to the coming weeks :)

it'll be nice to finally have some new lmgs and mmgs

 

"finally" after 3 posts? ;)

 

FWIW when we use this at School of Infantry - no one cares about what the weapons look like.

 

Edited by Gibsonm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I meant different brands, like Federal vs Hornady vs Winchester. And, as the ;) indicated, I wasn't exactly being serious.  :P

 

However, that does bring up a serious question: Is there any in-game difference between the 7.62mm DE ammo vs NATO? The stats shown are identical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Veteran66 said:

one question
Do we get the Austrian version of the M60 tank (M60A3Ö) with the 4.0 Version?

Or the M60A3 with german labels inside the Cockpit?

That would be a job for the mod-makers after the release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Is there any in-game difference between the 7.62mm DE ammo vs NATO? The stats shown are identical.

 

In this specific case, No. I cannot rule out that there once was a difference (like a minor variation in muzzle velocity) which has been removed later, but then the two types were kept for backwards compatibility reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

 

In this specific case, No. I cannot rule out that there once was a difference (like a minor variation in muzzle velocity) which has been removed later, but then the two types were kept for backwards compatibility reasons.

 

Pro PE probably doesn't consider infantry to be anything other than "alive" or "dead", but this separate ammunition may be useful again in the future if troops can ever be "wounded".

 

W.German 7.62 ammunition was made with a different jacket material than US 7.62 and tended to produce much more...aggressive...fragmentation on impact...

 

wund8.jpg

 

Essentially it acts like 5.56mm M193 except on steroids....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

 

Pro PE probably doesn't consider infantry to be anything other than "alive" or "dead", but this separate ammunition may be useful again in the future if troops can ever be "wounded".

 

W.German 7.62 ammunition was made with a different jacket material than US 7.62 and tended to produce much more...aggressive...fragmentation on impact...

 

 

 

Essentially it acts like 5.56mm M193 except on steroids....

something was mentioned about having a medic in the new SB version, so maybe there is a wounded state now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, guccimanetraplord said:

something was mentioned about having a medic in the new SB version, so maybe there is a wounded state now?

 

Maybe?

 

But, uh, if the guy the medic is coming to work on took a hit from W.German 7.62 or US M193 from a 20" M16/M16A1 there isn't going to be much he can help with...Except maybe to scoop up the pulp that got blown out of the exit wound...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ssnake had said that the medics use necromancy, which sounds a bit more like reviving "dead" troops than there being an additional wounded status between alive and dead.

 

They could always use the Arma 3 standard: Enough morphine will heal any injury (and clean your uniform as well!)

Edited by Rotareneg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Troops that get hit are "incapacitated". Steel Beasts makes no statement whether 'tis but a scratch, a mere flesh wound, or four missing limbs ...come back, you coward!

 

artworks-000037377502-sje047-t500x500.jp

 

So your saying if i hit infantryman directly  with any MBT's  HE shell ( which would result in death and body being a total shredded mangled decapitated mess), and a medic comes by he will be revived A ok, because of mere" incapacitation"?

 

hmmm this reminds me of monty python parrot skit.

 

23c0fa5df871b812037b61e7fb42a770.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Kev2go
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Each impact on that crazy video (:D) feels like when I read Ssnake´s messages and they bring no extra news about release date of 4.0 ;):P I know, is done when is done and we didn't reach week 4 ^_^

Edited by Vikingo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...