SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

5 hours ago, Tango29 said:

Looks as if I got V4.0 up and running first try. Nothing for it but to try the Sho't Kal, as close to my old Centurion as I'll probably ever get.

When it comes to crew positions, AFAIK there weren't any significant changes introduced with the Shot Cal A, so I suppose the Centurion Mk.5/2 crew positions could be copied from the Shot Cal ones in a future upgrade.  

Edited by Iarmor

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

How can you hit anything in combat situation with sights like that is beyond me... I tried it on Tank range, and it took me 5 rounds to hit BMP 1300m away ...

Hats off

There are 3 secrets:

1-training

2-training

and of course 3: more training

B|

6 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

How can you hit anything in combat situation with sights like that is beyond me... I tried it on Tank range, and it took me 5 rounds to hit BMP 1300m away ...

Hats off

Ummm...guess I'd better 'fess up here. Without putting too fine a point on it, my original tank, on which I trained as an officer cadet decades ago, was the Centurion 5. It had the same gun-sight fitted as provided for the Sho't Kal in SB, along with the .50 cal HMG ranging gun. Although the Sho't Kal doesn't have the ranging gun fitted (Israeli decision, apparently), the sight graticle pattern is unchanged from what I used. So I still have a pretty good idea of how to use the sight, even after 48 years (which surprises the hell out of me, quite frankly!). But it all came back pretty quickly: talk about a really neat flashback! :)

12 minutes ago, Marko said:

Do you think it was a good sighting system back in the day Tango.

And how are you finding using it in 4.0

For us, it was a quantum leap from only having range estimation. The ranging gun method worked well for us, in that the drill was pretty quick to get the range out to 1800, then apply either the sabot or HESH dot and engage with the main gun. Beyond 2000, +-, you were back to range estimation, though. However, at ranges up to, say, 1300, we could go directly to a sabot shoot because of the projectile velocity (4850 feet per second or 1600 yards per second) and the resultant flat trajectory. Sabot Dot 2 or 3 would almost guarantee a hit at those ranges. For example, my first live shoot as a trainee crew commander was a target tank at about 800-900 yards. I still remember the engagement orders: "Sabot, Dot 1, tank, traverse right, on!" (Gunner: "On!") Fire!" (Gunner "Firing now!") (The round slammed into the turret just above the turret ring: sparks all over the place and the turret side glowed red for about ten seconds.) "Target. Stop!" And I tell you true: I felt on top of the world. The instructor on the back deck was a bit torqued that I didn't use the ranging gun, but he was smiling as he debriefed us!

I built a quick mission based on the "Tanks" scenario, giving myself two Sho't Kals against a mix of nine T72's, T62's and T55's. It took a bit of getting used to again, but after about 30 minutes or so you get the "feel" of the graticle pattern again. And the AI gunners did pretty well: gotta give them credit! But, of course, you don't have the computers, lasers, thermals, automatic lead and so on that are the mainstays of modern tanks, so it'll probably take a bit longer for those not used to this sight to become relatively comfortable. Trust me: it can be done! And I must say, this retired tank/recce guy found it a blast to use that sight again after all these years! Thanks, SB! :D

The main issue I have with the Shot Kal is the absence of illumination on the reticle, so it becomes literally 'blind' shooting in twilight or night whenever pointing into a darker region.

I can just sense the target form against the skyline but cannot see the graticle to point the weapon at all... For short range engagements coax followed by a main gun round works, but it isn't suitable for longer ranges, and tends to send APDS a bit high. (It is also wasteful of coax ammunition, which is a fairly small box of ready ammunition compared to later vehicles, and the ready supply of ammunition is also small for the main gun, when the possibility of a miss and re-engagement is allowed for).

Certainly makes the Golan night engagement (with modification to replace T72 with T55 and M1A1 with Shot Kal, and setting low visibility day to clear visibility night a different experience, and one which is very easy to get wrong....)
4.0 Fixes the road levelling through the village and is a huge improvement in appearance and usability.

51 minutes ago, GSprocket said:

The main issue I have with the Shot Kal is the absence of illumination on the reticle, so it becomes literally 'blind' shooting in twilight or night whenever pointing into a darker region.
I can just sense the target form against the skyline but cannot see the graticle to point the weapon at all... 

I'm pretty sure that the sight was not illuminated, as you say. But our Germany-based Centurions of the day were equipped with an infrared-cum-white light spotlight mounted co-axially on the mantlet. The use of the light was very tightly controlled, for obvious security reasons.  Illumination rounds from mortars, artillery and, in a few circumstances, handheld paraflares, would also come into play in night operations.

I just checked the SB arty munitions: HE, Smoke, ICM and FASCAM. Mortars have Smoke (White Phosphorus) and HE. So no illumination rounds available. Maybe an addition for future SB upgrades?

Edited by Tango29

7 hours ago, Tango29 said:

Ummm...guess I'd better 'fess up here. Without putting too fine a point on it, my original tank, on which I trained as an officer cadet decades ago, was the Centurion 5. It had the same gun-sight fitted as provided for the Sho't Kal in SB, along with the .50 cal HMG ranging gun. Although the Sho't Kal doesn't have the ranging gun fitted (Israeli decision, apparently), the sight graticle pattern is unchanged from what I used. So I still have a pretty good idea of how to use the sight, even after 48 years (which surprises the hell out of me, quite frankly!). But it all came back pretty quickly: talk about a really neat flashback! :)

Salutations,

Cool story.

4.0 Running very nice here!! Amazing work eSim! So glad we didn't have to wait for enjoy 4.0. Thanks for that giant effort !! B| Countless hours inside the BMP-2 and T-72B1 m.2012 ^_^

After playing a little with nvidia settings I reach the "perfect" balance. I was suffering from some stuttering while moving fast the sights/optics but using these settings all is smooth now... I share them and maybe this will help other nvidia users out there. Here with Windows 7 64 + i7-4770@3.9Ghz + 16 RAM@2400 + GTX 770 2GB (latests drivers 368.81) Game settings maxed out, 1920x1080 and vsync ON.

PTnRAVS.jpg

8MSsbsk.jpg

Edited by Vikingo

6 hours ago, Tango29 said:

For us, it was a quantum leap from only having range estimation. The ranging gun method worked well for us, in that the drill was pretty quick to get the range out to 1800, then apply either the sabot or HESH dot and engage with the main gun. Beyond 2000, +-, you were back to range estimation, though. However, at ranges up to, say, 1300, we could go directly to a sabot shoot because of the projectile velocity (4850 feet per second or 1600 yards per second) and the resultant flat trajectory. Sabot Dot 2 or 3 would almost guarantee a hit at those ranges. For example, my first live shoot as a trainee crew commander was a target tank at about 800-900 yards. I still remember the engagement orders: "Sabot, Dot 1, tank, traverse right, on!" (Gunner: "On!") Fire!" (Gunner "Firing now!") (The round slammed into the turret just above the turret ring: sparks all over the place and the turret side glowed red for about ten seconds.) "Target. Stop!" And I tell you true: I felt on top of the world. The instructor on the back deck was a bit torqued that I didn't use the ranging gun, but he was smiling as he debriefed us!

I built a quick mission based on the "Tanks" scenario, giving myself two Sho't Kals against a mix of nine T72's, T62's and T55's. It took a bit of getting used to again, but after about 30 minutes or so you get the "feel" of the graticle pattern again. And the AI gunners did pretty well: gotta give them credit! But, of course, you don't have the computers, lasers, thermals, automatic lead and so on that are the mainstays of modern tanks, so it'll probably take a bit longer for those not used to this sight to become relatively comfortable. Trust me: it can be done! And I must say, this retired tank/recce guy found it a blast to use that sight again after all these years! Thanks, SB! :D

Great response to my question tango.

I can see some tense  MP battles in the future.

If theirs enough players interested in going old school.

T-62/T-55 v Sho't Kals

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:26 PM, Thadwb said:

I uninstalled everything and now I cannot get my license activated no matter what I do. Why in the world is it so convoluted to get this thing updated? I can't figure out what to do to get 4.0 working. Been trying for over six hours. Contacted 'Support'.

Addendum:

I have been attempting to load version 4.0. I've tried everything I can think of. I have downloaded and loaded version 4.0 and afterwards purchased the update license for for 40$. I've also downloaded the 6.30a Codemeter software for Win 10.

"Error: An internal error has occurred. Code= 0x1808001"

I tried the Offline Activation method many times. Still no go. Keep getting the 0x1808001 error code. One thing that is NOT happening with the Offline Activation option is getting a prompt to save a new file - xxxxxxxWibuCmRau after uploaded my RaC. It simply doesn't happen. Why? I don't know. Without it, I cannot save it and then import it for use.

I've also Updated the firmware.

Help... I'm at a loss.

I had the same problem...What I did was go into the control panel lower left of your screen and opened STEEL BEASTS PRO 64 SAFE MODE..Clicked on it and it runs just fine...Hope this helps..

About the surrender function.

Elsewhere Ssnake wrote: 

They'll stop fighting, and you can guide them around. That's about it. Still, it's an option to obviate the need to kill the enemy to the last man, which is probably a good thing.

-> how does this guiding work ?

-> does Blue AI stop shooting at surrendering Red units ? And vice versa ?

-> is there a surrenderbutton for Blue playercontrolled infantry ?

thx

(being on holiday, could not yet enjoy 4.0 ...)

Edited by Koen

27 minutes ago, Koen said:

About the surrender function.

Elsewhere Ssnake wrote: 

They'll stop fighting, and you can guide them around. That's about it. Still, it's an option to obviate the need to kill the enemy to the last man, which is probably a good thing.

-> how does this guiding work ?

-> does Blue AI stop shooting at surrendering Red units ? And vice versa ?

thx

(being on holiday, could not yet enjoy 4.0 ...)

Blue AI does indeed stop engaging units that have surrendered.

How the guiding should work, no idea. I can't get them to do anything. They even do not react to vehicles nearby (drove straight over them, oops). What's interesting, the surrendered unit disappears from the red side (no longer visible in the map view for red).

49 minutes ago, Koen said:

No, Surrendering is scripted in mission editorn. So the guy who makes the mission can set blue to surrender if trigger is activated, a certain event, losses at certain level or more redfor in objective then bluefor etc. 

Regarding moving them around me neither have had any success in controlling redfors EPOWs. 

Here's a question for the devs, will some kind of floaty range number thingy ala the T-72A/B3/M be implemented for the M60A3's manual range wheel since it isn't animated?  Currently, it's nigh impossible to manually index a range in the GCU without a human in the TC seat.

Edited by MAJ_Fubar

Since version 4.0 has been released I have been playing Steel Beast daily with my colleages from the 3 Regimiento Tizona with multiplayer engagementas ranging from 3 to 5 hours and I have to say tha 4.0 is just AWESOME !!!!!!

We have played only Cold War scenarios ambientend on the early 80's andI am really thrilled and addicted at this point.

I am most of the time using the outstanding M60A3, the M2A2 and the new model of the M113A1 (Beautiful model and skin !!!!!!!)

The new Infantry, the weather............

With the new BMP, and new T-tank series plus the new Cold war era uniforms, unit designators......This is the best simulator to represent and analize the Cold War scenarios that thanks God never materialiezed but that are really interesting from the military point of view.

We are having a real blast playing Steel Beasts and I cannot wait til we have a large multiplayer international exercise representing such scenario.

Now back to my M60

M60A3_REFORGER_85.JPEG

THANKS A LOT ESIMGAMES TEAM. You really did it. Awesome sim!!

Just a few random thoughts here...

The rifle grenades look interesting, will the AI troops fire them on their own or are those player only?  I've assigned them to units but I think not seen them used.

I just played a quick scenario with the M60A3, and I can't fathom a few small things, like why doesn't the unity sight (on the real tank) have something like a T shaped aiming post in the center of it, and why doesn't the M1 have an awesome unity sight like the M60?  Seems like a unity sight that tracked with the gun, and had an aiming pipper like that, would be great for using the Coax in urban areas.

On 8/14/2016 at 9:41 AM, Koen said:

how does this guiding work ?

23 hours ago, rump said:

How the guiding should work, no idea. I can't get them to do anything.

23 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Regarding moving them around me neither have had any success in controlling redfors EPOWs. 

Me neither.

I also can't seem to figure out how to get the medic to revive fallen troops.

I've honestly been replacing the medics with other teams, like an LMG team, when medics are added in with mounted troops...

I don't want any necromancy going on on my battlefield.  I don't want some digital crunchie who just took a .50 BMG to the face to get "healed" and RPG me in the back or something.

8 minutes ago, Lt DeFault said:

Me neither.

I also can't seem to figure out how to get the medic to revive fallen troops.

I managed it once, but not since. Do not know what made it work. I assume there is some randomness in play but tried enough times so I actually should see it agan.

@Ssnake: Help on medic and prisoner movement? 

/KT

• Members

Yeah actually you cannot guide them at all ATM. Surrendered troops will just stand up, hands in the air, and sit down after a while if they do not spot any enemy combatants. We have some ideas how trooping them off the battlefield could work (which would also allow evacuation of civilians and other cool stuff), but that's a thing for the next version I guess :/