Which tank would you like to play in SB?

DemolitionMan

strykers are good military police vehicles.

they have high roadspeeds, and with the birdcage, are nearly immune to RPGs.

maybe even ATGMs..

and the kongsberg .50 cal mount provides good night-fighting capabilities, and decent medium-range accuracy.

of course, if you put a kongsberg mount, screens, and birdcage armour on an M113, it would basically have the same functionality as a stryker, minus the on-road speed, plus extra offroad speed in rough terrain.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Stryker is much better protected than an M113, with or without slat armor. The M113 simply is obsolete. It was an excellent design for its time, but essentially it's 1950s technology. Material sciences and new production methods and welding techniques make much better protection possible for the same mass. Of course, wheeled or tracked - both have their merits, in different areas. Wheeled vehicles offer better operational mobility, tracked vehicles are superior for tactical mobility.

Outontheop - I know and have talked to an M2 TC. He spent some time around Stryker units and was dissapointed with their off-road performance and armor. He also pointed out that there was some armor available, both various non reactive and reactive armor, to bring the 113's up to modern spec. Kinda like what the Israelis are doing or did with some of them.

To be fair, while there are people out there bitching that the Stryker is totally useless and blah blah blah, I can see it being used for recce missions and perhaps in some support roles. Just not as a fleet wide replacement for other IFV's.

That and maybe I'm just unfairly biased because it looks like a BTR-80...Which can usually be found burning on the battlefield surrounded by bodies, yhea?

Outontheop - I know and have talked to an M2 TC. He spent some time around Stryker units and was dissapointed with their off-road performance and armor. He also pointed out that there was some armor available, both various non reactive and reactive armor, to bring the 113's up to modern spec. Kinda like what the Israelis are doing or did with some of them.

To be fair, while there are people out there bitching that the Stryker is totally useless and blah blah blah, I can see it being used for recce missions and perhaps in some support roles. Just not as a fleet wide replacement for other IFV's.

That and maybe I'm just unfairly biased because it looks like a BTR-80...Which can usually be found burning on the battlefield surrounded by bodies, yhea?

well, unlike a BTR-80, the stryker has allround protection against 14.7mm.

the BTR-80 only protects against 7.62mm on the sides afaik.

its also got no thermals.

Challenger 2 has to be my vote.

On the IFV front I would say the Warrior.

Yes there is some British Army bias there, but aside from that note I think they are awesome looking machines!

I agree 100% I would love to see the Challenger 2, but they have to model the Boiling Vessel.

I would love to play with the whole BMP line actually. And the BRDM.

• 3 weeks later...

oooo tell ya whats on my new list, the Warrior APC with the new turret and CTWS that they're refittin. Also the new Armour Upgraded Challenger 2. Id like to trudge about in the mud in a Saber CVRT, sort of the younger brother of the Scimitar FV107, although i havent heard much of it. Has anyone served on it yet?

I'd like to trudge about in the mud in a Saber CVRT, sort of the younger brother of the Scimitar FV107, although i havent heard much of it. Has anyone served on it yet?

I haven't personally inspected the two but I've heard its only detail differences of the turrets.

Saber has the CVRW Fox turret.

They were phased out because of a bad NBC seal between the turret and the hull.

(Fox was phased out cos it tended to turn upside down if it went too fast round a corner.)

Scimitar is, well, just the Scimitar, pretty much unchanged since 1971.

Cept for a diesel engine, and all the anti IED wotsits that slowly cook the crews fragile mind cogs.

But what do I know?

I'm just a Civvie.

Edit:

Is it normal procedure to have hazard lights flashing on the ranges?

(1:45 on Irish's video)

Edited by Hedgehog
Hazard lights