Which tank would you like to play in SB?

DemolitionMan

I haven't personally inspected the two but I've heard its only detail differences of the turrets.

Saber has the CVRW Fox turret.

They were phased out because of a bad NBC seal between the turret and the hull.

(Fox was phased out cos it tended to turn upside down if it went too fast round a corner.)

Scimitar is, well, just the Scimitar, pretty much unchanged since 1971.

Cept for a diesel engine, and all the anti IED wotsits that slowly cook the crews fragile mind cogs.

But what do I know?

I'm just a Civvie.

Edit:

Is it normal procedure to have hazard lights flashing on the ranges?

(1:45 on Irish's video)

ah i see, i can see the resemblences in both except the turrets. The hazards on the ranges, wont it depend whether your using live ammo or not? i thought these things were exercises, some of.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playable:

M48

Playable or non playable... just wished was included:

T-55, T-62s and other Warsaw pact armor that is very common throughout the world.

I actually think the omission of these common tanks is somewhat puzzling for a tank combat simulation that's supposed to deliver pure realism. The chances are a tanker is more likey to come up against these than the more modern Russian armor. Those and AT weapon armed infantry in cities and towns.

The K-2 isn't in service yet so I don't know how an accurate simulation of it would come out without some serious violations of OPSEC.

well it has been and gone, really its about tactics and stratagy rather then what tanks are in the game, theres a few things in the pipe-line as we speak but i dont know exactly what there is (best asking snake). Theres loads of tanks that everyone wants to involve in the game but its getting authorisation and then theres making each tank.

One tank I would like to see, at least in not fully playable form, would be the T-90. Now there's a opponent! I'd also like to see the M1A2 SEP as a fully playable tank, and this and other versions of the M1 with the TUSK kit. All the other tanks I'd like to see have probably already been requested, but lastly I will request fully playable CV90105s and CV9040 AAs.

well it has been and gone, really its about tactics and stratagy rather then what tanks are in the game, theres a few things in the pipe-line as we speak but i dont know exactly what there is (best asking snake). Theres loads of tanks that everyone wants to involve in the game but its getting authorisation and then theres making each tank.

But that's my point. The tactics and strategies you would use against a bigger formation of T-55s would be vastly different from say going up against a bigger formation of T-72s.

It's not so much the different models I'm interested in (though it would help for recognition purposes) but it's the tactics one would use against a larger number of inferior tanks. Just reflects a more "real world" scenario. i.e. let's say someone wants to create a Peacekeeping scenario that takes place in the Congo, it'd be silly to have T-72s running around unless you had to make an excuse for it.

• Members
Just use the mission editor to degrade the T-72's capabilities and ammo and you've got a simulated T-xx.

Well, in a way I agree. However, this must be countered by overmatching ammunition eventually to compensate for the T-72's much better armor protection, and eventually one should reduce the speeds in scripting to slow and medium. Finally, taking away the stabilization is probably a good idea as well, eventually even the laser range finder.

This approach has limits however once that you set up a scenario of "T-55s" attacking a (mech) infantry unit. Against the T-55 modern medium caliber guns have at least a decent chance from flanking positions, the T-72 may be too tough in some situations.

Apart from the absence of a low performance AP round, I would use the Leopard AS1 as a stand-in T55/T62. I think the Leo looks closer to the early Txx than the T72, the armour protection is not dissimilar (ie pretty weak compared to the next generation) the FCS is fairly basic, with some usability limitations... It also is available right now as a crewable vehicle..

yep, some bright-spark replaced the loader/operators hatch with an launcher system. It has its own range-finder, seeks and targets itself but still needs to be fired by the commander. armament is grenades, hellfire, "dumb rockets" and heat-lazer on top of the original armament. (120mm main gun and 7.62mm coax)

Apart from the absence of a low performance AP round, I would use the Leopard AS1 as a stand-in T55/T62. I think the Leo looks closer to the early Txx than the T72, the armour protection is not dissimilar (ie pretty weak compared to the next generation) the FCS is fairly basic, with some usability limitations... It also is available right now as a crewable vehicle..

Yeah but for the sort of program this is supposed to be it's a bit... how should we say... like the time a guy lost a screw for his M249 that made his handguard fall off all the time, I fixed it by taking a piece of wood and stuck it in place with electric tape. Now out in the middle of nowhere with a single infantry squad this might be excusable (i.e. if I bought a really crummy tank game) but at the barracks for me to be unable to find an extra screw for it would be unexcusable (steel beasts).

Maybe it's not in yet because of what Steel Beasts 1 was supposed to be (a realistic tank sim with difficult opponents based on theoretical conflicts taking place in a European terrain and scenario) but considering the sort of stuff we have going currently, I'd say including a proper set for the old tanks is appropriate.

Needless to say, if an upgrade with the old crap came out, I'd get it. If I can get my current Steel Beasts to work!

Huh?

Currently you do have:

Playable Leopard AS1, non-playable T-72.

Currently you do not have:

Playable T-72, T-55 of any flavour.

I was only suggesting that (while the groundwork to allow all the backlog of completed artwork to be introduced is being undertaken) the Leopard is a better substitute:

It is playable.

It looks more T55 shaped than the T72.

It has armour more akin to the T55.

The gun is more similar to the T55's gun (and in fact some recent models have been upgraded to use the L7).

If you don't want to substitute any vehicles, then no-one is forcing you to... but some people don't have a major issue with like-for-like substitutions though.

Actually the 'worst' 105mm round in SB is 180mm (HE) from the RGPT White Phosphorus round.

Also not very effective against tanks is the HESH round.

While HEAT is indeed rated at 500mm, which exceeds the capability of the 100mm D-10 by a reasonable margin, it is still completely ineffective against the protected areas of a modern(ish) tank.

If you avoid the two KE rounds you can get a fair representation of the T55's capabilities.