Rolling Thunder 16 - Update

So with five weeks to go (+ / -) I thought it maybe good to provide an update and start to motivate people (the 18 that have expressed interest as well as anyone else) now that Tough Rider 12 is completed.

Two related threads:

Attendance:

Back Story (so I don't need to re-write it here):

Overview

For those unfamiliar / recent arrivals. "Rolling Thunder" is an annual event which comprises of three or four missions played back to back in one sitting with a common theme. To date it has alternated between a European theme and an Australian one.

You do not need to attend all the missions.

You can attend the first and then say the 3rd. You need to be aware though that mission start timings tend to be flexible (post briefings, people dropping, etc.) so if you can stay for the duration you wont turn up halfway through a mission or whatever.

We have selected 1800 GMT on a Saturday as the least worse time for most people. Europeans can play into Saturday night, we start at 0400 (get up at approx 0200, setup, etc.) and play into Sunday.

To an extent it complements PzBtl 911's "Long Night of Tanks" as they have a similar approach and are offset through the year.

The downside of June is that we tend to coincide with the SB upgrade cycle. :) Currently the missions are built in 3.028 and we are planning on using 3.028 (since everyone has that, we know the graphic limitations, we have the server executable, etc.). If 4.x comes out say 2 weeks prior to the event we may consider migrating to 4.x but it depends on take up rate, possible performance issues, etc.

Update from reality:

Two of three missions (GE and UK) completed.

Third mission (US) underway.

Will post Brigade level documents in this thread and manage the staffing list. Two of the scenarios are delays, so the intent is to weight the manning to the forward CT and then move people as required.

For example, three Combat Teams (CT):

CT A forward, CT B 2nd , CT C third.

Most people in CTs A and B

As CT A pulls back and hands over to CT B, the people in CT A switch to CT C (as they are now second), etc.

I think that better than one or two people per CT and watching it getting destroyed because it not well manned, whilst others are bored because they are "in the rear".

Update from the Rolling Thunder Universe:

NORTHAG SITREP as at 140600ZFEB91

Of four RAF Tornadoes dispatched, one has returned from BDA / Recon mission in 1 German Corps.

Just north of the Mittellandakanal, West of HANNOVER.

Heavy Soviet losses incurred breaching the LEINE river line:

26714560426_ae1625c023_o.png

Within the 7th Panzer Division's sector:

Elements of 7th Armoured Reconnaissance (Panzeraufklärungs) Battalion take up new delay positions as part of the 7th Panzer Division / 20th Panzer Brigade Covering Force:

26738842385_a466c1a45e_o.png

Elements of 203 Panzer Battalion conduct a forced road march to occupy their delay sector between STEINHUDE and the WESER, behind 7th Panzeraufklärungs Battalion:

26466004020_b5c803bb9c_o.png

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd been fairly clear, but once again for the "English is not my native language" readers :) :

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

The downside of June is that we tend to coincide with the SB upgrade cycle. :) Currently the missions are built in 3.028 and we are planning on using 3.028 (since everyone has that, we know the graphic limitations, we have the server executable, etc.). If 4.x comes out say 2 weeks prior to the event we may consider migrating to 4.x but it depends on take up rate, possible performance issues, etc.

Since I'm not inside the tent and don't know:

- The exact date it will be released.

- How many people will use it straight away.

- What sort of machine it needs to run well.

- The impacts on LAN play.

- How long after the normal executable is released will the server executable be released.

- How long will it take for Server licenses to be ungraded.

- Whether it will have some massive impact on the 3.028 scenarios (since no doubt once you save a scenario in 4.x you wont be able to revert to 3.028).

- Whether there will be some unforeseen "bug" that makes it "unplayable" for a short period after release and require a hotfix.

If, I have no idea BTW, there is a "world changing" item in 4.0 (say a playable Marder and / or Jaguar) then it may well be adjusted since that will have an impact on the German mission.

But overall, I'm working on it being a 3.028 event. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

You are welcome. :)

I'll try and get a staffing list out "tonight" (my time).

That will indicate which units are available and playable or not (so a Leo 2 platoon will list the vehicles, a Marder Platoon wont as Platoon Commander is probably the only slot someone would like to fill). 

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

If, I have no idea BTW, there is a "world changing" item in 4.0 (say a playable Marder and / or Jaguar) then it may well be adjusted since that will have an impact on the German mission.

But overall, I'm working on it being a 3.028 event. :)

I too would like to participate but can not guarantee I will make it on the night.

if there is a slot available on the night I would be happy to run any AFV vehicle /platoon.

I was wondering if you would make adjustments for 4.0.

3 hours ago, Marko said:

I was wondering if you would make adjustments for 4.0.

Well as I indicated above - maybe.

The Rolling Thunder "dev team" (me) only has limited time to devote to this and if 4.x is released the day before Rolling Thunder, then it will stay at 3.028.

If 4.x is released "well before" (weeks, not hours) and all the answers to the above questions and a few more are positive then I'll certainly look at it.

There is however no point in promising it will be 4.x at this early stage, or converting it to 4.x and finding out I wont have a server license in time, or 90% of people can't run it, or only 5% of people have upgraded in time, etc.

Sorry, but I thought I was pretty clear:

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I'll try and get a staffing list out "tonight" (my time).

"Tonight" for me is in approx. 8 hours.

So in 8 hours or so there will be a list and then you can put your names against slots.

I am glad of the level of interest though. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

9 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well as I indicated above - maybe.

The Rolling Thunder "dev team" (me) only has limited time to devote to this and if 4.x is released the day before Rolling Thunder, then it will stay at 3.028.

If 4.x is released "well before" (weeks, not hours) and all the answers to the above questions and a few more are positive then I'll certainly look at it.

There is however no point in promising it will be 4.x at this early stage, or converting it to 4.x and finding out I wont have a server license in time, or 90% of people can't run it, or only 5% of people have upgraded in time, etc.

Understood.

Happy to run with 3.028,

best not to include me on the staffing list. the last two MP nights I committed too I could not attend due to RL commitments

I will take what's ever going on the night if that's ok.

Right so for those pining for a manning list:

Mission 1: Task - Delay within boundary.

Covering force: 4 Kompanie, 7th Panzeraufklärungs Battalion - AI controlled (not available to the player)

Divisional Air Defence assets: 1 Kompanie, 7th Armoured Flak Battalion - AI controlled (not available to the player)

203 Pz Btl, 20 Pz Bde, 7 Panzer Div:

KpChef (CO): 1 x Leo 2A4 -

FO: 1 x FISTV -

KpChef/2./203: 1 x Marder 1A3 [1 x MG team, 1 x Rifle Team with 3 x PzF-3] - Bond_Villian

I/2./203: 3 x Marder 1A3 [1 x MG team, 1 x Rifle Team with 3 x PzF-3] - Kingtiger,

II/2./203: 3 x Marder 1A3 [1 x MG team, 1 x Rifle Team with 3 x PzF-3] - mpow66m,

III/2./203: 3 x Marder 1A3 [1 x MG team, 1 x Rifle Team with 3 x PzF-3] - smithcorp,

KpFü/2./203: 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x Unimog -

KpChef/3./203: 1 x Leo 2A4 -

I/3./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 -  Mirzayev,

II/3./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 - Swordsmandk, Major duck

III/3./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 -

KpFü/3./203: 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x Unimog -

KpChef/4./203: 1 x Leo 2A4 -

I/4./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 - Panzer_Leader,

II/4./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 - Connaugh, 

III/4./203: 4 x Leo 2A4 -

KpFü/4./203: 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x Unimog -

I/200 Jagdpanzer Kompanie: 3 x Jaguar 1A3 ATGM vehicles -

II/200 Jagdpanzer Kompanie: 3 x Jaguar 1A3 ATGM vehicles -

Note:

1. This structure is "pure". The CO can mix and match (task organise) as required - perhaps 3 "balanced" Kompanies with 2 x Leo Platoons and 1 x Marder Platoon, etc.

2. The one artillery player is likely to own all FISTVs so they can move from vehicle to vehicle as required.

Mission 2: Task - Delay within boundary.

To be advised - likely "a" Squadron from 11 ACR.

Mission 3: Task - Area Defence.

Flank Guard: 1 Troop, D Squadron, Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG) (V21) - AI controlled (not available to the player)

CO 2 Royal Tank Regiment (2 RTR) (9): 1 x CR2 -

FO (G9): 1 x FISTV -

OC A Sqn, 2 RTR (T19): 1 x CR2 -

2IC A Sqn, 2 RTR (T19A): 1 x CR2 -

FO (G81): 1 x FISTV -

1 Tp, A Sqn (T11): 4 x CR2 - mpow66m, Connaugh, 

2 Tp, A Sqn (T12): 4 x CR2 - Mirzayev,

3 Tp, A Sqn (T13): 4 x CR2 -

Echelon A Sqn (T15): 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x MAN 10T -

OC B Coy, 1st Staffordshire Regt (1 Staffs) (I29): 1 x Warrior [1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav] -

2IC B Coy, 1st Staffordshire Regt (1 Staffs) (I29A): 1 x Warrior [1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav] -

FO (G82): 1 x FISTV -

4 Platoon, B Coy 1 Staffs (I21): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] - Kingtiger,

5 Platoon, B Coy 1 Staffs (I22): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] -

6 Platoon, B Coy 1 Staffs (I23): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] -

Echelon B Coy (I25): 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x MAN 10T -

OC C Coy, 1st Staffordshire Regt (1 Staffs) (I39): 1 x Warrior [1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav] -

2IC C Coy, 1st Staffordshire Regt (1 Staffs) (I39A): 1 x Warrior [1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav] -

FO (G83): 1 x FISTV -

7 Platoon, C Coy 1 Staffs (I31): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] - smithcorp,

8 Platoon, C Coy 1 Staffs (I32): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] -

9 Platoon, C Coy 1 Staffs (I33): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] -

Echelon C Coy (I35): 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x MAN 10T -

AARMD Platoon, 1 Staffs (I64): 4 x Warrior, each with 2 x Milan posts, total of eight posts) -

OC D Sqn, 2 RTR (T49): 1 x CR2 -

2IC D Sqn, 2 RTR (T49A): 1 x CR2 -

FO (G84): 1 x FISTV -

1 Tp, D Sqn (T41): 4 x CR2 - Panzer_Leader,

2 Tp, D Sqn (T42): 4 x CR2 - Swordsmandk, Major duck

3 Tp, D Sqn (T43): 4 x CR2 -

Echelon D Sqn (T45): 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x MAN 10T -

Note:

1. This structure is "pure". The CO can mix and match (task organise) as required.

2. The one artillery player is likely to own all FISTVs so they can move from vehicle to vehicle as required.

If you are interested in a specific position, please reply nominating the call sign " II/4./203" or "T11", etc.

Filling the CO and OC (Company Commander) slots will be pivotal, so ideally people will step up for those, if not people who nominate to be "2ICs" may have a battlefield promotion forced upon them. :)

Edited by Gibsonm
Updating for Panzer_Leader

Mission 1: I/2./203: 3 x Marder 1A3 [1 x MG team, 1 x Rifle Team with 3 x PzF-3] -
Mission 2: Mech Infantry Platoon 
Mission 3: 4 Platoon, B Coy 1 Staffs (I21): 4 x Warrior [PHQ - 1 x Rifle Team with Carl Gustav, remainder MG and Rifle teams with Carl Gustav and M72] -

OK, allocated to Missions 1 and 3.

5 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

I can do pretty much what is needed else where if needed. 

Thanks.

I suspect that may need to be applied for all.

Its not going to work if one tank Platoon has two people in it and the rest of the Company is empty. :)

Certainly I'll fill slots based on people's preference but at the end of the day people may need to be moved to ensure the units are workable.

The first two missions especially are designed to have well manned forward units and the reserve with a skeleton.

The CO will be given strong guidance to have depth so for example in the German scenario it might be (I'm not the CO and can't direct this):

• 4./203 is the front Kompanie, 2./203 is behind that and 3./203 is in the rear.
  • On contact, 4./203 pulls back through 2./203 and 3./203 so 2./203 is in "front".
  • Then 2./203 pulls back through 3./203 and 4./203 so 3./203 is in "front".

In that case, if we aren't lucky in terms of attendance I suspect we'll need to initially man 4./203 and 2./203 in preference to 3./203.

As Kompanies are attrited people will be moved around so the "front one" is well manned.

So if groups want to be in a platoon with their mates, fine but my guiding principle is that you want to be in a Leo Platoon, not necessarily wedded to II/3./203 specifically to the exclusion of any other Leo Platoon. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

No.

As I said at the start:

For those unfamiliar / recent arrivals. "Rolling Thunder" is an annual event which comprises of three or four missions played back to back in one sitting with a common theme.

So, there are several games back to back.

It goes a bit like this.

Start - 1800 GMT

Brief on Mission 1 - 1800 - ??

Conduct Mission 1 - ?? + 120 minutes or so

End Mission 1 + ?? Minutes: Debrief, chat, toilet visit, ...

Brief on Mission 2 - ???? - ????

Conduct Mission 2 - ???? + 120 minutes or so

End Mission 2 + ?? Minutes: Debrief, chat, toilet visit, ...

Brief on Mission 3 - ???? - ????

Conduct Mission 3 - ???? + 120 minutes or so

End Mission 3 + ?? Minutes: Debrief, chat, toilet visit, ...

End activity.

From "Start" to "end activity" takes 10 to 13 hours (depending on number of missions, length of briefings, pause and resumes, ...)

Edited by Gibsonm