Ex Hamel

CR2_Commander

I have the honour of being invited over to take part in Ex Hamel next month in sunny Oz. Now I know that multi national exercises are great and all that but I am more concerned with my little bit of R and R before and after.

I have experienced Townsville and the delights of Tuesdays student night, and renamed some wildlife (cun* birds, who attacked me every day going to the mess for dinner, and magpie parrots) and sweating my tits off in the humidity.

Australia is a pretty big place. What else should I experience? (Beside swimming with Nemo) I will probably only have a week to travel about and I want to maximise my time. I would ideally like to combine a bit of culture with alot of drinking. XXXX was my choice of drink last time. Is this your equivalent of kangaroo piss? Should I be drinking something else to make me look more manly?

Thanks in advance.

Mate how much time do you have.

If you are just going to Cultana (think BATUS but worse) then you can look at Adelaide (probaly your point of entry) some 3.5 hours drive South.

If you are coming in through somewhere civilised (Sydney, Melbourne, etc.) then its a 2.5 hour flight from Adelaide.

Of course there is a bed in Canberra with your name on it if you come here (great War Memorial, etc.).

If you can provide more detail (say by PM) happy to help out.

Edited by Gibsonm

I'm looking at flying in to Townsville for about a week, then I get to go army camping down in Cultana for the exercise. At the moment we are probably looking at maybe a week after the ex before we depart in July.

I may have a few days up Townsville way before making our way to Cultana. I know it's not much time in real terms but I'm looking to spend all my wages and max out my credit cards if need be.

Details are still sketchy. Only had info coming in dribs and drabs.

Thanks for your ideas so far.

Magnetic Island off Townsville is pretty good (car/pers ferry several times a day).

Be aware that the Ross River runs through Townsville (search for Ross River fever) so keep your fly spray handy.

It will be after May so you should be good for Stinger / Box Jellyfish.

Stay away from nice, pretty creeks up there - there is a reason why they are pristine (hint read the signs in four languages saying "crocs live here").

Usual night life, etc.

That's probably the summary for Townsville - can flesh out other places as required. :)

3 hours ago, CR2_Commander said:

I'm looking at flying in to Townsville for about a week, then I get to go army camping down in Cultana for the exercise. At the moment we are probably looking at maybe a week after the ex before we depart in July.

I may have a few days up Townsville way before making our way to Cultana. I know it's not much time in real terms but I'm looking to spend all my wages and max out my credit cards if need be.

Details are still sketchy. Only had info coming in dribs and drabs.

Thanks for your ideas so far.

My nephew is based there in 2RAR - I can get his suggestions too if you'd like. He's a non-com so they might be more low-brow than Marks. :)

Edited by smithcorp

My nephew says:

If he’s into fishing Townsville has some amazing fishing out on the great barrier reefhttp://www.nccharters.com.au/. They run full or half day charters, its a bit expensive but can be well worth it if its a nice day.

-          There is also Magnetic Island http://www.magneticislandtourism.com/, its pretty nice over there but most of the restaurants and cafes  charge an arm and a leg. There are a couple of nice pubs that are right on the beach tho. A ferry ride over there costs about $30 return however they do military discounts if you use a military ID.

-          There is a small zoo called Billabong Sanctuaryhttp://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au. Its about a 30min drive south of Townsville but its pretty good, they do some great croc shows and you can hold a wombat or koala etc.

-          Reef HQ http://www.reefhq.com.au, its not the most amazing aquarium but its right in the centre of Townsville city so its pretty convenient.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. They all will help me plan a head. I will probably pop back on with some more questions once I get some clarification if I may?

I believe we're being hosted by either 2RAR or 3RAR. Can't remember off the top of my head. We did pop across and had a chat and a climb over M1s for an afternoon it the Cav guys. Nice bunch.

The guys at 2 CAV should look after you.

I think 3 RAR are still hanging onto their maroon berets, otherwise 1 and 2 RAR are either side of the main entry road.

If you are here for a look around I know some of the International Engagement people for Hamel and maybe we can tee something up?

If 3RAR are still wearing maroon then we must be hosted by 2RAR. They want us to bring out our mess kit for a function. Magnetic island it is then.

Potentially putting us in comms with the engagement people might be a great idea. We are bringing the C.O etc. They may engage with us during the Ex anyway but you never know.

No where can be as bad as BATUS surely? 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, CR2_Commander said:

I really enjoyed Townsville. I managed to get up to Cairns for a weekend before joining the exercise. We also managed to blag 4 nights in Sydney after the Ex. Koogi beach is a hidden gem.

42 minutes ago, smithcorp said:

Don't know that one! :D

Try Coogee perhaps. :)

Edited by Gibsonm