Rolling Thunder 16 - Mission 3

Gibsonm

OPERATIONS ORDER - 7th Armoured Brigade

Firstly my thanks to Harvey Black for writing some excellent novels (The Red, Black and Blue effect) which inspired much of this.

Situation:

Date: 14 FEB 91
Time: 0630 GMT/Zulu (0730 Local)

General:

Rolling Thunder 16 back story

Enemy:

Overnight elements of the 10 Guards Tank Division, 3rd Shock Army forced a crossing of the MITTELLANDKANAL at great cost.

It is expected that having achieved this breakthrough, the Forward Detachment (tactical version of a Operational Manoeuvre Group) of 10 Guards Tank Division, based around 62nd Guards Tank Regiment will attempt to exploit west towards the River Weser.

It is assessed that the 62nd Guards Tank Regiment consists of:

3 x Tank Battalions, equipped with T-90
1 x Motor Rifle Battalion, equipped with BMP-3

The Soviets are supported by prodigious amounts of tube and rocket artillery and appear to have access to large amounts of Frontal Aviation (fixed and rotary wing, attack and transport).

The Soviets have also used Chemical and Biological agents during their assault and we have no reason to doubt they will continue to deploy them.

There has been no reported Nuclear release to date.

Friendly:

26630357174_f173fe069d_o.png

Brigade Covering Force: Comprises elements of 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards (QDG), Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and 1st Regiment, Army Air Corps and is arrayed East of the Battle Handover Line (BHL).

They are tasked with maintaining contact but once the main assualt begins they will fall back to the South, bypass your positions and head West.

West German Verteidigungskreiskommando (VKK) troops are sending reports back from isolated pockets in HANNOVER itself.

I West German Corps is to your left.

1st Bn, Staffordshire Regiment BattleGroup, is to your right.

North of the MITTELLANDKANAL and across the 1 WG / 1 BR Corps boundary, 20 Panzer Bde is conducting a delaying defence, withdrawing under pressure to the river WESER.

There is a series of Reserve Demolitions sited along the MITTELLANDKANAL with Demolitions Guards from 1 QDG. These Reserve Demolitions will be blown as Soviet recon forces approach in order to (IOT) deny the crossing.

You command 2 Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) BattleGroup.

This consists of:

A Squadron, 2 RTR - 3 Troops, each of 4 Challenger MBT.

B Company, 1st Bn, Staffordshire Regiment (1 Staffs) - 3 Platoons, each of 4 Warrior IFV.

Each Warrior carries either a Platoon HQ Team (with 1 x MAG-58 and 1 x Carl Gustaf) or  Rifle Team (with 1 x MAG-58 and 3 x M72 LAW) and a AT Team (with 1 x MAG-58 and 1 x Carl Gustaf).

C Company, 1 Staffs - 3 Platoons, each of 4 Warrior IFV.

D Squadron, 2 RTR - 3 Troops, each of 4 Challenger MBT.

Anti Armoured Platoon, Support Company, 1 Staffs - 4 Warrior IFV.

Each AAMRD PL Warrior carries 2 x MILAN AT Teams.

Each Squadron / Company has a Commander, 2IC, FISTV and Echelon (1 x ARV, 1 x AMB, 2 x Tr)

This can be displayed graphically below:

27168080111_e7a68681c4_o.png

Attachments/Detachments:

Attached - B and C Coy, 1 Staffs. AARMD Pl, Spt Coy 1 Staffs.

Detached - B and C Sqn, 2 RTR to 1 Staffs BG.

You have six batteries of 155mm guns in support and access to CAS.

1 Troop, B Squadron, 1 QDG is in location (not at your disposal) to guard the Reserve Demolitions sited along the MITTELLANDKANAL.

Civilians:

The MITTELLANDKANAL has forced most of the Germans from HANNOVER to remain North of the Canal. However large numbers of German citizens are fleeing Westward on the South side as well. These internally displaced persons (IDPs) are choking roads and making movement Eastward on the main routes very difficult. Stadthagen is choked with civilian traffic and is making movement difficult.

The obstacles created by this press of people have been increased by vehicle accidents, abandoned vehicles and wreckage caused by air and artillery strikes.

It is expected that this movement will thin out in the next couple of hours as people seek shelter in cellars, etc. rather than move in the open as Soviet combat forces approach.

Mission: 2 RTR BG is to conduct area defence in vicinity of Bad Nenndorf IOT, attrite 62nd Guards Tank Regiment, maintain contact with I WG Corps and set the conditions for the proposed Divisional counter attack.

Execution:

General Outline - The Brigade will deploy two Square BattleGroups forward with one Armoured Regiment in depth.

2 RTR BG - Left forward
1 Staffs BG - Right forward
SCOTS DG - Depth

Grouping and Tasks

2 RTR BG

Grouping

Attached - 2 x Mech Coy, 1 x AARMD Pl
Detached - 2 x Tank Sqns
In Location - Elm 1 QDG (Demolition Guards)

Tasks

- Conduct area defence vicinity Bad Nenndorf
- Inflict 60% casualties on 62nd Guards Tank Regiment
- Maintain contact and alignment with 1 Staffs BG
- Maintain contact and alignment with 1 WG Corps
- Deny Northward penetration of the MITTELLANDKANAL

1 Staffs BG - Detail Omitted

SCOTS DG - Detail Omitted

Co-ord

Boundaries - as marked

Royal Engineers have Engineer effort to create approx 1.5 vehicle scrapes per AFV and 1.5 bunkers per Infantry team.

Admin and Log:

Each Squadron / Company has an echelon.

Re arming will be priority

Recovery assets limited, need to ensure they are not risked/wasted unduly.

Command and Signals:

You are the Battalion CO.

Recommend one person be the Artillery person and be given ownership of all FISTV vehicles.

Deployment area mirrors the blue strongpoint graphic.

Vehicle scrapes, Bunkers and TRP are deployable.

Manning List to follow.

Manning List

27168080111_e7a68681c4_o.png

9 -

G9 -

T19 - Cupcake

T19A -

G81 -

T11 -

T11 (Troop Leader's vehicle) Panzer_Leader

T11A Connaugh

T11B

T11C

T12 -

T12 (Troop Leader's vehicle) dta delta

T12A

T12B

T12C

T13 -

T13 (Troop Leader's vehicle) Tango29

T13A Mirzayev

T13B jumo213

T13C

T15 -

I29 - Tac197

I29A -

G82 -

I21 -

I21 (Platoon Commander's vehicle) Kingtiger

I21A

I21B

I21C

I22 -

I22 (Platoon Commander's vehicle) Wiglif

I22A

I22B

I22C

I23 -

I23 (Platoon Commander's vehicle)

I23A

I23B

I23C

I25 -

I39 -

I39A -

G83 -

I31 -

I31 (Platoon Commander's vehicle) smithcorp

I31A Bond_Villian

I31B

I31C

I32 -

I32 (Platoon Commander's vehicle)

I32A

I32B

I32C

I33 -

I33 (Platoon Commander's vehicle)

I33A

I33B

I33C

I35 -

I64 -

I64 (Platoon Commander's vehicle)

I64A

I64B

I64C Skyshark

T49 - Major Duck

T49A - 12Alfa

G84 -

T41 -

T41 (Troop Leader's vehicle) Deekay

T41A Grizzly

T41B

T41C muzzleflash

T42 -

T42 (Troop Leader's vehicle) Swordsmandk

T42A Roerbaek

T42B

T42C Maximuis

T43 -

T43 (Troop Leader's vehicle) Dr. Hat

T43A Chrisreb

T43B Garmon

T43C Zaphod

T45 -

Randoms (people who are indecisive, unsure if they can make it, commitment issues, ...):

TSe419E

mpow66m

Nebuluski

Edited by Gibsonm

Just a reminder that:

1. The CO for the mission can chop and change which units go where, so on the night they may, or may not, be arranged as above.

2. The CO may determine that a person per Platoon is better than a Platoon fully manned and two other empty Platoons.

OC D Sqn, 2 RTR (T49): 1 x CR2 - Major duck 
2IC D Sqn, 2 RTR (T49A): 1 x CR2 -
FO (G84): 1 x FISTV -

• 1 Tp, D Sqn (T41): 4 x CR2 - : Deekay, Grizzly, muzzleflash (DK PLT, Kanium)
    2 Tp, D Sqn (T42): 4 x CR2 - : Swordsmandk, Roerbaek, maximuis (DK PLT, Kanium)
    3 Tp, D Sqn (T43): 4 x CR2 - : Dr. Hat, chrisreb, Garmon, Zaphod (International PLT, Kanium)
    Echelon D Sqn (T45): 1 x Wisent, 1 x M113A3 Amb, 2 x MAN 10T -

T49 - : Major Duck

T49A -

G84 -

T41 - (DK PLT, Kanium)

T41 (Troop Leader's vehicle) : Deekay

T41A : Grizzly

T41B 

T41C : muzzleflash

T42 - (DK PLT, Kanium)

T42 (Troop Leader's vehicle) : Swordsmandk

T42A : Roerbaek

T42B :

T42C : Maximuis

T43 - (International PLT, Kanium)

T43 (Troop Leader's vehicle) : Dr. Hat

T43A : Chrisreb

T43B : Garmon

T43C : Zaphod

T45 -

Thanks for that, however I have to go through the previous posts where people nominated for slots and transcribe them (hence the comment about populating it).

Once I have those over I'll add yours.

I don't want people who asked for a slot weeks ago missing out due to more recent posts. :)

Also again as I said before people need to be prepared to be moved around. Unless language is an issue, I don't the CO will want a Platoon fully manned (e.g. 4 Tp, D Sqn) and another empty. So those people may be moved around to flesh out other tank Platoons - maybe in 4 Tp, A Sqn in this example.

So I've done the straight transfer, now to try and fit in the "Baltic Block".

Just remember:

Its not going to work if one tank Platoon has two people in it and the rest of the Company is empty. :)

Certainly I'll fill slots based on people's preference but at the end of the day people may need to be moved to ensure the units are workable.

The first and third missions especially are designed to have well manned forward units and the reserve with a skeleton.

The CO will be given strong guidance to have depth so for example in the German scenario it might be (I'm not the CO and can't direct this):

• 4./203 is the front Kompanie, 2./203 is behind that and 3./203 is in the rear.
  • On contact, 4./203 pulls back through 2./203 and 3./203 so 2./203 is in "front".
  • Then 2./203 pulls back through 3./203 and 4./203 so 3./203 is in "front".

In that case, if we aren't lucky in terms of attendance I suspect we'll need to initially man 4./203 and 2./203 in preference to 3./203.

As Kompanies are attrited people will be moved around so the "front one" is well manned.

So if groups want to be in a platoon with their mates, fine but my guiding principle is that you want to be in a Leo Platoon, not necessarily wedded to II/3./203 specifically to the exclusion of any other Leo Platoon. :)

Please review the listings to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Be aware that for some of you I've had to move you (e.g. 2 people wanted to command a specific Platoon, etc.).

To resolve that I've gone with "first in best dressed" and the person displaced has the same job but elsewhere - so if two people both wanted to lead a tank platoon, one got the specific platoon they asked for the other is still a tank platoon commander but a different tank platoon to the one they specified.

If that's a big issue ("Callsign XYZ has a special place as I used to fill that role in real life", etc.) let me know and I'll try and adjust to accommodate your needs.

Here is a link to a file for Recce (well it is the UK Mission) purposes only:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZFambZ8nwu1AuUdAkyWuQi0iIV6B6X6kL7

PLEASE DO NOT create a "Plan" file based on this scenario file as it will not work with the full mission file!!

You will do a lot of work and then have to do it all over again.

You can however review the ground, confirm your ORBAT, etc.

Please remember to set your contour interval to 10m or less.

Full mission file will be up by No Later Than this Sunday - my time.

Edited by Gibsonm

Here is the link to the Mission file itself:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZbYDbZ6WSzAdjB2TukAHKFQO3tHX3hsLc7

If no one else steps up, I'm not sure who will be CO as I'll be on Red. :)

If Cupcake, Tac197 and MAJ Duck want to get together to develop a BG plan that's fine with me.

Tac197 may not contribute much as he is part of the QA group and knows the Red scripting.

If someone wants to be CO or run I39 - just let me know.

Also once the co-ord is done happy to build the Plan file by editing it and passing it one to the next Squadron/Company commander?

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, Tac197 said:

Cupcake/Maj Duck,

I have a suggestions for the plan.  Really happy to talk this one through.

Yes can we meet sometime next weekend on ts, since i work nights this weekend and through until Wedneysday night, after that just send a world clock and we will meet on SB TS

8 hours ago, Tac197 said:

Cupcake/Maj Duck,

I have a suggestions for the plan.  Really happy to talk this one through.

Did you not read the part about not contributing too much to the Blue's plan????

So now I have to re-work the red scenario because of a security breach. :(

Standby for a new mission file.

Or as I wont be able to do that before next Saturday, maybe we just don't play Mission 3.

Edited by Gibsonm