Rolling Thunder 16 - Mission 3

Gibsonm

26 minutes ago, Major duck said:

awesome idea :ph34r:O.o

Not really.

I have to do X weeks work in 2 days (I am away Tue and Wed).

Or I can it - which will no doubt make me real popular - all because Tac can't keep his bloody mouth shut. >:(

Edited by Gibsonm

Well no matter what i havent heard anything at all except somebody wanting to coordinate something and thats going to happen anyway.

I first thought it was a joke

I had no idea that this was a security issue

Edited by Major duck

Um did you not see the nice big graphic?

Go back a page and there's a draft SoM from the guy who wasn't supposed to help.

I'm not saying it will help or not but the Red plan is now compromised.

It not a security issue for the two Blue players, but Tac has run this mission multiple times as red to test the scripting, etc. and get a feel for if its "right" - as the designer/builder I needed someone else who could see the "forest for the trees".

Hence why I said He'd not be too co-operative.

Then straight after that post I see one with a graphic and:

9 hours ago, Tac197 said:

Cupcake/Maj Duck,

I have a suggestions for the plan.  Really happy to talk this one through.

When he should be saying nothing at all and letting you guys figure it out.

Edited by Gibsonm

yes but only seen it was a map with some lines on it haddent studied it at all just thought it was a suggestion for a coordinated plan as i havent done anything other then work or sleep this weekend havent even participated in the ystad landings campaign which i have been part of the creative team on, i am sitting at work reading this

MD

Edited by Major duck

Mark,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  I was only trying to expedite the planning process. If I had meant to be malicious then I would have been more surreptitious in my approach.  I have removed the trace and if required will stand-down from a command position.

1 hour ago, Tac197 said:

Mark,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  I was only trying to expedite the planning process. If I had meant to be malicious then I would have been more surreptitious in my approach.  I have removed the trace and if required will stand-down from a command position.

No, we need people in command positions.

I was just concerned that I'd need to re-work a mission with X hundred waypoints in two nights (and see if it still worked) and still allow time for player planning.

So:

1. No change to Mission file.

2. Tac to remain in command of B Coy.

3. Happy for Tac to provide SME advice (in terms of your broader experience, not mission specific "experience" :)) to support the planning efforts of the other guys, but not to lead the planning. :)

If Red gets beaten badly, I have a ready made excuse. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

I have built a plan for the entire battlegroup.  I don't think it was influenced much, if at all, by Tac's plan.  It's probably a horrible plan, but as a wise E-8 once told me, "a plan is just something to deviate from." Should I screenshot it and post it here?  Or I suppose MD, Tac, and I could meet on TS whenever convenient.

Only a couple of immediate questions come to mind:

1: What are the compositions of the infantry in the back of I29, I29A, I39, and I39A?  I'm assuming they are same as platoon commander vehicles, but I don't like assuming.

2: Is it possible to have infantry dismounted prior to mission start so that they can be placed more accurately without having to dismount and move them at mission start?

3: Is it possible to break up platoons (specifically, the AARMD platoon) into individual vehicles prior to mission start?  This would be in order to facilitate their placement over a large area.

I may end up talking myself into being BG commander for this one.

2 minutes ago, AlphaOneSix said:

I have built a plan for the entire battlegroup.  I don't think it was influenced much, if at all, by Tac's plan.  It's probably a horrible plan, but as a wise E-8 once told me, "a plan is just something to deviate from." Should I screenshot it and post it here?  Or I suppose MD, Tac, and I could meet on TS whenever convenient.

Only a couple of immediate questions come to mind:

1: What are the compositions of the infantry in the back of I29, I29A, I39, and I39A?  I'm assuming they are same as platoon commander vehicles, but I don't like assuming.

2: Is it possible to have infantry dismounted prior to mission start so that they can be placed more accurately without having to dismount and move them at mission start?

3: Is it possible to break up platoons (specifically, the AARMD platoon) into individual vehicles prior to mission start?  This would be in order to facilitate their placement over a large area.

Hi Cupcake

Could you PM it to us and then lets meet Friday evening, can you suggest a time with worldclock on that fit you as i am pretty flexible

MD

On 07/06/2016 at 7:26 AM, AlphaOneSix said:

1. Well they are command appointments and should stay out of the fight (e.g. LTCOL H Jones). But assuming that there are similar to the PHQs is probably fair.

2. Well you have the scenario file - why not give it a go?

3. Well I'd caution against breaking up standard Mech PLs but as for the AARMD PL see "2" above. :)

Editing the file, if required, to allow 2 and 3 would make any plan file you have made to date pointless.

Edited by Gibsonm

From my understanding, it is not possible to dismount troops or divide units during the planning phase of the mission. It would either need to be done in the mission editor prior to the mission being loaded, or manually by the players after the action phase begins. My hope was that since there has been time to prepare bunkers and vehicle emplacements, there would also be time for the infantry units to be distributed during the planning phase instead of having them inside their PCs at mission start. The only platoon I'd personally like to see split into individual vehicles prior to mission start are the vehicles in the AARMD platoon (in addition to having their MILAN teams start the mission dismounted).

Right so do the other sub unit commanders want/require the troops to be dismounted at start?

As flagged this will require a new mission file to be created and any plan file already created by you (or them) will be useless.

Did you actually try it with the current file to confirm your understanding?

I think this is what you are after:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZA1EbZBgpxo1PGbChnfuX51Hge5BQeN8QV

AARMD PL is split into individual vehicles (can still regroup as required) so you can deploy them around the position.

Mech PLs are broken down into individual vehicles (can still regroup as required) so you can tailor their deployment too.

The Mech and AARMD PL dismounts are still on board their respective vehicles though so the vehicle can support the dismounts and vice versa.

This now gives you two files to choose from (All Mounted or this Split option).

Just let me know which one you decide to go with so I can ensure its loaded onto the server. :)

Hey Alpha16,

It might be easier for us to say that the BG commander(9) was taken out in a Arty strike and that T19 (the Senior Commander) has just taken over BG command.  It might be easier to task the individual combat team commanders to develop the plan for their defence. You can still command a Tank Company and have fun, it just means that there will be one point of contact for the running on the night.

Too the rest of you....

Thankyou to all those who have taken up the mantle of command  but we really need a volunteer to run C Coy (I39),  one for I64  and one to run G9.  These are key positions and will make the planning and running easier for the mission.  Even if you have never held a command position before,  don't worry, it may feel overwhelming when the battle starts, but everyone will be happy to help you through the process and it will be a blast on the day.

Take it from me, this is a really good mission (thanks Mark) and it would be a shame to see it not fore fill its potential due to a shortage of position holders.  If any of you have read the Harvey Black novels " Red effect, Black effect and Blue effect"  it has the same feel of impending engagement and chaotic defence.

So if you have never given it a go........then you don't know how much fun it can be......