T-62 Gunnery - "Use the Force.."?

BigBadVuk

After mastering T-72 M1 gunnery ( mastering.. lol.. well i can achieve constantly 75+ score on range, and i have roughly 75% of hit up to  2200 m ) i decided to go one generation before T72.

And i tried T62. 

My God..Well i wont bitch about slow reload.. but.. HOW do you observer your hits ??? Ofc, primary sight will go up since it is not stabilized as soon as you shoot, and using gunner`s vision block is useless - you dont see vehicle sometimes, let alone whee your shot fall.

So any tips from gunners "behind iron curtain" would be most appreciated. 

It's early T-62, that's why primary sight is slaved to the gun not the other way around, they solved that in later variants. So what you do to observe your hits? After firing you return to minimum magnification.

Not perfect, but this is kind of crap you face using UVZ designs. :P

Edited by Damian90

Heh i know im not crying in bad manner ( ESIMS! BUFF T62 i was killed!..HAxxx! etc. like kids tend to do these days).. 

I was just inquiring to find out what was the genuine way used by guys sitting in those tanks 40 years ago. You will get input from TC ( short, over etc.. ) but.. tbh it doesnt help if you dont know was it over due to lack of leading the target or because you are using wrong range etc...

Untiy view is useless - things are too small , I cant access TC on range, and external view is also too slow.. doh! 

P.S. I was visiting UVZ in 2012. btw , i had my jaw dragging down the floor.... I was about to offer working as slave for them when they gathered us to go back :D

Edited by BigBadVuk

It's T-55AM2B with Kladivo FCS or T-55AM with Volna FCS, not T-55AM Merida with Merida FCS.

Well if eSim would want to make T-55AM Merida or T-55AM2B Kladivo, they can visit Poland and Czech Republic, I am sure someone not only would give them documentation but also let them inside existing vehicles to check how they work.

Based in the playable list Ssnake posted, only the T-55A will be playable.  The external model appears to be the T-55AM, so we are probably looking at a early model AM with the Volna FCS.  If that's the case, it should perform just like the T-62 gunnery wise, although the rate of fire should be faster.

Edited by MAJ_Fubar

Historically speaking Volna and Kladivo FCS were the least advanced however had advantage over Merida FCS that they were able to guide gun launched ATGM's, Merida lacked this capability, however as an FCS was far more advanced. Merida was a basis for further development of Drawa FCS and it's later improved version Radew.

• Members

Coming back at the original topic, after firing switch back to low magnification. Usually that is enough to observe the fall of shot. I managed to spank a few Austrian Leopard 2 crews that way (eventually the response came, of course - but until then it was fun).

I know it won't help unless you are playing multicrew, but the TC would usually issue more detailed corrections and a decent range estimate with his periscope while the gunner did their job. But to echo the others, if you're going to do t-62 in SP, switching magnification should in most cases give you a rough idea of shot placement. 

Either that or it'll give you a squint :)

Edited by ghostdog688

One method is to use a human wing man to spot the fall of shot.

So 1st tank fires at range setting X (1st tank declares range to wing men, as do the other tanks when taking their shots.)

Tank 2 Spots and adjusts to Range Y (E.G. 1st shot falls short 2nd tank adds ~200m to 1st tank's declared range) and fires

Tank 3 spots fall of shot and adjusts (E.G. this time 2nd tank over shoots, tank 3 now knows its some where between Range X & Y, halves the difference and fires.)

1st tank spots Tank 3's shot & adjusts.

Rinse, Repeat.

This assumes the 3 tanks are all occupying the same fire position, and a re parked side by side, to reduce parallax errors.

If you have wing men who know their shit, you can range in very quickly.

And the older tanks (M60, T-62, Cent, Leo 1 etc.) use HEAT over APFSDS.

Plain Cast Armour has a lesser effect on countering HEAT rounds and the Explosive component has a higher chance of cooking off stowed Ammo.

Edited by Hedgehog

Also use the map during the approach to position to estimate the range to significant landmarks you may be able to see.

It is quite possible to obtain first round hits when pre-ranged on a field boundary/road gap/building etc which the target is near, at similar atmospheric hazing etc.

If you have to make corrections they are likely to be smaller than a completely blind guess as to first range.

It can be helpful (to eliminate bad lases) in more advanced vehicles as well - at least to bound likely min/max ranges within an engagement area

Alas i dont see myself as good enough for MP ( lack of RL military training as most important issue). I dont want to hinder the experience of other tankers around me.

Therefore i cant (yet ) use human wingman or TC..  One day when i see myself as MP worthy i shall get into one of VU :) Right now i think you ppl would be between cry and hysterical laughter with me in your company.

But zooming out actually do the work better then i expected... Especially if you use HEAT instead of sabot, since it makes bigger cloud of dust when it hits the ground :D

Looking forward to some T- 62 v T-55 action when the update is released 

As for gunnery I leave that to the AI, I normally jump in to the commanders position

Unless the target is under 1000m then it point and shoot  

When I set up SVU the idea was that the SB community would have a competent opfor capable of using soviet equipment the way their doctrine dictated

Massed and fast overwhelm your opponent grind him down if that means sacrificing your first and even second wave of attack then so be it.

Its a pretty awesome sight seeing a T-62/55 battalion advance in formation with rolling arty barrages covering your advance  

Edited by Marko

8 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

Alas i dont see myself as good enough for MP ( lack of RL military training as most important issue). I dont want to hinder the experience of other tankers around me.

Therefore i cant (yet ) use human wingman or TC..  One day when i see myself as MP worthy i shall get into one of VU :) Right now i think you ppl would be between cry and hysterical laughter with me in your company.

But zooming out actually do the work better then i expected... Especially if you use HEAT instead of sabot, since it makes bigger cloud of dust when it hits the ground :D

Why does everyone say this??!!

Yeah, man. Jump on in! I promise no one will get upset or laugh at you (as opposed to with you) just because you're relatively new to this. In fact, you will benefit much more from playing online with our helpful community and VUs than you will just playing offline. We can bring you up to speed on all the tips and tricks for becoming a proficient virtual tanker much faster. And know that none of us are perfect. We all put one of our vehicles in the drink or run right into an ambush now and then. But it's always a lesson learned for next time...and that's what this sim was designed for, really.

If you want to try an online session with just one other person for starters, I should be available most of today. (If I don't fall asleep. I worked all last night.) We can make sure you've got everything set up correctly to join an online game and run a simple scenario or two (or more). Then, if you're not busy, you can join us for TGIF tonight. You won't regret it. In fact, you'll be hooked...I promise. :)

Not to sound to recruity you can always play with most. Even if you join us. We are just glad to have more people with us.

Pm me with times you wanna play and we can light up a mission. 

Anytime.

Also if you just want to chill and shoot some blues we can always use some opfor players :P

1 hour ago, Lt DeFault said:

Yeah, man. Jump on in! I promise no one will get upset or laugh at you (as opposed to with you) just because you're relatively new to this. In fact, you will benefit much more from playing online with our helpful community and VUs than you will just playing offline. We can bring you up to speed on all the tips and tricks for becoming a proficient virtual tanker much faster. And know that none of us are perfect. We all put one of our vehicles in the drink or run right into an ambush now and then. But it's always a lesson learned for next time...and that's what this sim was designed for, really.

If you want to try an online session with just one other person for starters, I should be available most of today. (If I don't fall asleep. I worked all last night.) We can make sure you've got everything set up correctly to join an online game and run a simple scenario or two (or more). Then, if you're not busy, you can join us for TGIF tonight. You won't regret it. In fact, you'll be hooked...I promise. :)

+1

I have been playing for SB years and still cant hit the side of a barn door.

If you do join a VU your playing skills will improve.

There's lots of roles like running the arty, commanding a bridge-layer being a scout even dropping of the fuel and ammo not as prestigious as shooting but

Try playing a mission with out all the auxiliary roles being in place. if worsted came to worsted you could always join the engineers some one got to do it. LoL

I jest of course, serious give it a try I did and never regretted it.

On 03/06/2016 at 1:52 AM, BigBadVuk said:

AFAIK, every VU mentioned here

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

is very happy to talk new players / people with limited confidence under their wing and help them out.

So have a read, look at the "usual" playing times in the Wiki entry and pop in to the most convenient session. :)

Edited by Gibsonm