Rolling Thunder 16 - AARs

Gibsonm

We intend to re run this "post 4.x".

We are looking at:

1. Probably one mission per week / fortnight.

2. Again most likely Saturdays at 1800 GMT.

3. Using new vehicle models and re worked terrain post 4.x (e.g. Mission 1 with crewed Marders, smoothed maps, etc.).

4. Perhaps changing it to Summer / Spring to see how the different seasons impact the conduct.

Thanks for all the hard work you and others must have put into this event. A really enjoyable time and meeting some great people, that help make the event a success!

Great Tanking!

AKA Nebs

Edited by Nebuluski

Rolling Thunder 16

Great set of missions. Thank you for all of the work you put in these missions, Gibsonm.

However, in Mission 1, I was disabled as retreating and overrun, getting only one kill.

Cgt2CLD.jpg

oXNcRKw.jpg

Mission 2 was our finest hour. As part of Leadhorse, helped stop the Soviet incursion from the East.

FIqrmtJ.jpg

Mi-24V Hind helicopters were all destroyed without inflicting significant damage

uBk8E7r.jpg

Q84bGZQ.jpg

1OfyO3c.jpg

Then reconnaissance vehicles probing our lines were destroyed

KA00NEH.jpg

ZHYKBsR.jpg

146XXBI.jpg

A T-90 Platoon penetrated our lines but were destroyed

LsF55mc.jpg

ZTqOofT.jpg

AJSc4EG.jpg

dAzhgUs.jpg

Two BDRM-2's were found in our rear and were destroyed

qbQpFhx.jpg

In Mission 3, it appeared that my section was sitting in the path of the main attack and had predictable results.

TVLTLLn.jpg

xYe4oMZ.jpg

01SXcqj.jpg

5bpMPox.jpg

Connaugh

Edited by Connaugh

Guys,

You are welcome.

Certainly weren't perfect (in some cases just as well or more Red stuff would have turned up :() but glad they provided a suitable challenge.

I certainly think they are replayable in Ver 4.x and ideally we could replay them again to confirm "lessons learned" re Delay vs Die in Place and Area Defence (see how different weather and or Blue Forces impact the outcome, etc.), especially against a "near peer" enemy.

Edited by Gibsonm

Idea was nice, had some great moments, great teamwork and good laughs and so on..So those were nice things.

1. Not sure I ever understood why mission 1 was Leopard 2a4's, with inferior ammunition vs T-90's. 2a4's with better ammunition or 2a5's would have made more sense - seemed to be a bit too heavy on the fantasy side of things. At some point I wondered when the aliens would show up :P

2. We knew Hinds were coming in Mission 1, so AA should have been front and centre, not sitting at the bottom of a lake all the way in the back, or guarding a (seemingly) pointless bridge that didn't need the protection. We needed the AA up front, we really did. We also had no AA in mission 2...why didn't we? We knew hinds were coming :-| We should have had AA, we really should have.

3. Left flank should have been given more support in Mission 2, as well as the Apache's should have been used a lot sooner imho. 

4. As someone on the Kanium forum put it:

"Seeing 2 tanks in my platoon getting one-shotted within minutes, while hiding in light forests with engines off, from a fast moving T-90 at 3100 meters away, rolling at a 45degree angle is a huge turn off for me. "

5. We probably need to prepare better in the future. Way ahead of time...we wasted a lot of time setting things up (myself included)

Looking forward to see what the future brings though, once we start making improvements and getting better at stuff :D

Regards

- DrHat

Edited by DrHat

34 minutes ago, DrHat said:

Idea was nice, had some great moments, great teamwork and good laughs and so on..So those were nice things.

1. Not sure I ever understood why mission 1 was Leopard 2a4's, with inferior ammunition vs T-90's. 2a4's with better ammunition or 2a5's would have made more sense - seemed to be a bit too heavy on the fantasy side of things. At some point I wondered when the aliens would show up :P

Well the timeframe was 1991.

1991 = Leo 2A4s with the relevant ammo

DM-53 isn't available until 1999.

The idea was a near peer enemy.

Anyone can use 2A5s with DM-53 against T-72s if all you want is a "Turkey Shoot".

You want to set it in 2000 - by all means go ahead.

34 minutes ago, DrHat said:

3. Left flank should have been given more support in Mission 2, as well as the Apache's should have been used a lot sooner imho. 

Well great, you are welcome to be the CO.

You want me to create the Mission and then be the CO and magically use the perfect plan to counter what I have created?

The Brief said the likely threat was AA3 so that's where I put the best manned unit.

Next time I'll ruthlessly break up the Kanium contingent so that each unit has the same number of people and is equally capable of dealing with the threat (from memory there were 7 or 8 in India and two or three in the other units).

Maybe I should have just bailed and let the 3 Troop commanders sort it out.

Edited by Gibsonm

Well the timeframe was 1991.

1991 = Leo 2A4s with the relevant ammo

DM-53 isn't available until 1999.

The idea was a near peer enemy.

Anyone can use 2A5s with DM-53 against T-72s if all you want is a "Turkey Shoot".

You want to set it in 2000 - by all means go ahead.

Was the T-90 available in 1991? Source(s) say no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90

Nothing to do with a "turkey shoot", nor "near peer enemy". Just trying to have it make sense :-)

Well great, you are welcome to be the CO.

You want me to create the Mission and then be the CO and magically use the perfect plan to counter what I have created?

The Brief said the likely threat was AA3 so that's where I put the best manned unit.

Next time I'll ruthlessly break up the Kanium contingent so that each unit has the same number of people and is equally capable of dealing with the threat (from memory there were 7 or 8 in India and two or three in the other units).

Maybe I should have just bailed and let the 3 Troop commanders sort it out.

Bloody hell mate.. o_O I think you're greatly misunderstanding the reason I'm saying any of this.