D.O.W. Saturday Mission 16/07/16 @ GMT19:00 - Operation Battleaxe by Connaugh

D.O.W. Saturday Mission 16/07/16 @ GMT19:00

Operation Battleaxe by Connaugh

84SXOXM.png  

This scenario is a simulation and does not have any political message.

82dd2733-c183-4c50-bb50-260b66bf6210_zps

Mission Summary :
The Commonwealth will launch a three-prong attack to clear the frontier region. Coast Force is responsible for capturing Halfaya Pass, Escarpment Force is to capture the remainder of the frontier at Fort Capuzzo, Musaid and Sollum. The 7th Armored Brigade Group is to capture Sidi Omar, Bir Ghirba, and Sidi Azeiz and destroy the Afrika Korps. 

Map:
H9JrcTn.jpg

uogyaxm.jpg

Date: Saturday Mission 16/07/16
Time: 19:00 GMT
Time (local): Click here 
Teamspeak  IP:http://dow.ts.nfoservers.com/ or 104.153.105.2:35200 wait in lobby for access to other areas.
Room: Dogs of War

DOW members, by invite, or request in advance prior to mission.

Our goal is to have the DOW session more immersive and realistic.

For More Info On The Mission -   Click here

Edited by Lumituisku
Added picture that shows custom skins made for mission

On 16/07/2016 at 0:08 AM, Lumituisku said:

Added picture that shows custom skin made for this mission for better immersion. 

Not a dig at DoW (or the scenario design) but I'm not sure how painting a 7th Armoured Division symbol adopted in 1943 on vehicles used in a 1941 battle can persuade the brain that you are driving a Crusader / Matilda II instead of an M1A2 SEP.

I'm glad some have such a powerful imagination. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

15 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Not a dig at DoW (or the scenario design) but I'm not sure how painting a 7th Armoured Division symbol adopted in 1943 on vehicles used in a 1941 battle can persuade the brain that you are driving a Crusader / Matilda II instead of an M1A2 SEP.

There is no attempt to "persuade" the brain that you are driving a Crusader/Matilda. The "immersion" comes from playing a simulation based on a 1941 WWII battle, but not meant to recreate it exactly as Steel Beasts does not provide Crusaders, Valentines, Matildas, or Stuarts that can be crewed. Also, the opposing forces are not named after the actual participants and the map is only a rough approximation of the real terrain. Including the symbol as well as actual unit ID's is meant to add color or flavor to the scenario.

Conn

16 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

From www.desertrats.org.uk website: " On 16th February 1940, the Mobile Division became the 7th Armoured Division and at about the same time the famous Jerboa Divisional Sign appeared. The story of the Jerboa badge is told by Len Burritt on this video clip (Birth of the Desert Rats (ITV Anglia News)), which explains how of General Creagh (the Divisional commander) saw a young local boy with Jerboa in his pocket. He then traced the shape of a Jerboa in the sand using stones.  Later a picture was produced for a design of desert rat (pictured below) which was approved by the officers and men of the Division and this was then drawn up by Trooper Ken Hill of RTR. The first six badges were produced by Nurses and distributed among the men of Divisional HQ. "

Beef

19 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Gibsonm,

some times i think you are the Katie Hopkins of the steel beasts community.

Con put alot of time and effort in his mission. Its not a dig at DoW its a dig at an individual. Some of your comments and posts are negitive and make others to feel depreciated. Constructive criticism is one thing but nit picking is an other

Edited by wilso845

19 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

It only shows that you do not have mastered the art of "squint harder" that Steelbeasts requires so often. :-P

Better have a backroundstories that need some imagination on the vehicle model side then none!

1 hour ago, wilso845 said:

Gibsonm,

some times i think you are the Katie Hopkins of the steel beasts community.

Con put alot of time and effort in his mission. Its not a dig at DoW its a dig at an individual. Some of your comments and posts are negitive and make others to feel depreciated. Constructive criticism is one thing but nit picking is an other

Guys,

Who is Katie Hopkins?

The comment had nothing to do with the "re imagining of the scenario".

I'm absolutely sure Connaugh put a lot of work in to it. I do have an understanding of the work required and I know Connaugh is dedicated to his SB work.

The comment was purely meant as a humorous observation devoted to the idea that the graphic painted on the side of the vehicle would somehow transport you back seventy years and help you believe that at 20t Crusader was represented by a 65t M1.

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Conn,

Your use of historical context for Steel Beasts scenarios is great, added to the custom terrain and textures that you use within the missions to build immersion. 

Also, thanks for posting these missions on the site so that others can enjoy them. 

+1