Suggestion for graphics of SB Pro 4.1

mpdugas

1 hour ago, Toastman said:

It strikes me after reading this thread that Steal Beasts is coming to a dev crossroads in the near future , and that is a demand for 2 differing products , 1 ... the pro military training option with basic graphics , and 2 ... the consumer option...

There are already two products, Steel Beasts Pro for military usage and Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition for the rest of us.

The nice thing here is that they are backwards compatible with each other, so much of the content the military gets, we get as well and vice versa, which is nice for the military consumers.

The making of two separate products induces the issues of needing more personnel or more hours devoted to products that begin to increasingly differentiate from each other, and as was stated before, there are limited resources at esimgames.

For me, I prefer having the software that is as close to the military software that us current civilians can use, as well as military personnel on their off time away from the government simulators vs having a differing product.

Hmm, which makes me wonder. Will the military version work with the personal edition as far as online compatibility?

It would be interesting to have us current civilians as rebels against one of the military training groups.

Anyway, that is my half-a-pence thoughts on it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

There are already two products, Steel Beasts Pro for military usage and Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition for the rest of us.

The nice thing here is that they are backwards compatible with each other, so much of the content the military gets, we get as well and vice versa, which is nice for the military consumers.

The making of two separate products induces the issues of needing more personnel or more hours devoted to products that begin to increasingly differentiate from each other, and as was stated before, there are limited resources at esimgames.

For me, I prefer having the software that is as close to the military software that us current civilians can use, as well as military personnel on their off time away from the government simulators vs having a differing product.

Hmm, which makes me wonder. Will the military version work with the personal edition as far as online compatibility?

It would be interesting to have us current civilians as rebels against one of the military training groups.

Anyway, that is my half-a-pence thoughts on it.

Doh !!!

I forgot about the 2 products currently available , but I still think we need a more consumer friendly , graphically more advanced product , nearer to the old M1 Tank Platoon titles.

Edited by Toastman

9 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

I can tell you that the last two sessions I played with Kanium were on par with a few command post exercises that I've participated in. I guess it helps when the in-game CO and several of the participants are officers of various nationalities and military backgrounds, and several of the players are retired service members. 

1 hour ago, Toastman said:

Yes , it would also have a dynamic campaign option , crew management etc ...

3 hours ago, Toastman said:

It strikes me after reading this thread that Steal Beasts is coming to a dev crossroads in the near future , and that is a demand for 2 differing products , 1 ... the pro military training option with basic graphics , and 2 ... the consumer option , designed for DX 11 and above . This I realise would mean massive dev costs but it would be the only way of satisfying both requirements .

..... go easy on me Ssnake , its just me 2 cents opinion :)

I Think the issue is as a stand alone consumer product SB would not be financial viable.

Ssnake has stated this in the past.

The market for a high end tank sim is not big enough to justify spending the type of funds needed to make a graphical state of the art

Type Tank sim. there is no doubt in my mind if it was they would have built it by now.

2 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I know the scenarios can be compatible: The Rolling Thunder 16 missions all exceeded 22x22 km, meaning they couldn't have been built in SBProPE.

Just a point of clarification, the maps can be.

The maps were made in Pro 2.866 as you need to make the map in a version earlier than (or same as) the Pro PE one that you want to make the scenario in (e.g. if I'd made the maps in Pro 3.317, they would not open in Pro PE 3.028).

Then using the maps I built the scenario (units, routes, settings, etc.) in 3.028.

If I'd made the scenarios in Pro 3.317 they would not open at all in 3.028 and even if they could be opened you'd run the risk of something in 3.317 not being supported in 3.028.

More widely though, even if the version numbers are the same, players using a mix of SB Pro and SB Pro PE can not join the same multi player mission.

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I know the scenarios can be compatible: The Rolling Thunder 16 missions all exceeded 22x22 km, meaning they couldn't have been built in SBProPE.

yea i always wondered why is there a 21x21km or ( around around that amount) map restriction, for the consumer SB PRo PE? what if we want to experiment with larger areas of a map? 

Edited by Kev2go

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

More widely though, even if the version numbers are the same, players using a mix of SB Pro and SB Pro PE can not join the same multi player mission.

Alas, there goes the prospect of being rebels that military personnel can train against. *sniffles* :/

1 hour ago, Kev2go said:

what if we want to experiment with larger areas of a map? 

You ask "some people" here and we can create it for you.

I've done this a few times for a few people - but I'm not making 80km x 80km versions of every map just for someone's whim. :)

Give me a map name and the grid refs to the four corners and I'll see what I can do.

Usual caveats on performance, etc. I'll supply the map you ask for, but if your machine can't handle the scenario you subsequently create - not my fault. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

You ask "some people" here and we can create it for you.

I've done this a few times for a few people - but I'm not making 80km x 80km versions of every map just for someone's whim. :)

Give me a map name and the grid refs to the four corners and I'll see what I can do.

Usual caveats on performance, etc. I'll supply the map you ask for, but if your machine can't handle the scenario you subsequently create - not my fault. :)

but it was more of a question why is the consumer version have this restriction but military version doesnt? i mean consumers are less likely to be be restricted by performance.

Edited by Kev2go

While I certainly don't speak for eSim, I recall someone on the team giving an answer once to the effect of: "We have to be able to justify the higher cost of the Pro version to the military clients by including some features not available on the PE version."

34 minutes ago, Kev2go said:

but it was more of a question why is the consumer version have this restriction but military version doesnt? i mean consumers are less likely to be be restricted by performance.

I am quesiing here there has to be an incentive for the military to buy the more expensive military version

1 minute ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

More importantly, why are we limited to 8 player multiplayer?

We arent its just not everybody who get a server version they are given to VUs

13 hours ago, Toastman said:

It strikes me after reading this thread that Steal Beasts is coming to a dev crossroads in the near future , and that is a demand for 2 differing products , 1 ... the pro military training option with basic graphics , and 2 ... the consumer option , designed for DX 11 and above . This I realise would mean massive dev costs but it would be the only way of satisfying both requirements .

..... go easy on me Ssnake , its just me 2 cents opinion :)

As a refugee from a certain wargame, I can tell you from first hand experience, as a customer, small dev teams and them maintaining multiple divergent instances of their product does not work well, at all. QC suffers. Support suffers. Time between needed fixes to address issues is lengthened considerably. To say the least, I would be disappointed to see esim follow this same path.

Edited by Rambler

46 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

More importantly, why are we limited to 8 player multiplayer?

42 minutes ago, Major duck said:

We arent its just not everybody who get a server version they are given to VUs

I think the rationale always was that "server" licenses should be given to VUs as they are more likely to run multiplayer events (with more than eight players) more often.

The VUs tend to have a dedicated "masochist" who is happy to:

1. "Run" the VU.

2. Advertise events here.

3. Has a suitable Internet connection to support up to and beyond eight players.

4. Provide AARs (written, pictorial or both) here.

5. Happy to go through the renewal process when that license expires.

etc.

If "everybody" had an unlimited user license then you'd have someone complaining that they had "poor performance" trying to support a 20 person event on a dial up link. ;)

• Homer locked this topic
  • Members

Functional limitations between the ersonal Edition and the classroom version have several reasons. One is the price difference that has to be justified by delivering the key elements that make the difference between "marginally useful" and "a great asset" for training; the exact same argument can be made for the aspect of export control. Map size and number of participants are such critical elements.

Then there's the question of customer support. By fixing the map size we also limit the video RAM and system RAM demands, limiting the number of players in a network session limits the complaints about bad performance (because we can't really DO anything about the users' bandwidth limitations, a factor that most seem to take for granted except maybe when downloading large files, and then it's just a matter of waiting a bit longer, not the file quality somehow degrading (except when streaming video, but there it seems to be accepted, as long as playback is smooth).