SB Installation problem

Brynio

I have purchased SB from the website and downloaded the 5-part installation file. When I click on the .exe file everything unpacks without a problem. The game begins its installation and the green bar slowly but surely travels from left to right. When it reaches the right side it begins to install the CodeMeter software (5.22). I get a message that something went wrong with the installation and that I can re-start it at a later time. I get the e-sims message that the game installed correctly and I complete the process by clicking the finish button.

There is no launch icon on my desktop or launch menu. There is no trace of the installed files on my computer (I checked the destination directory - nothing there).

Please help me as I really want to start playing the game!

I am running a Lenovo Y510P laptop, with dual GeForce GT 755M cards, i5-4200 CPU @2.5GHz, 6GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, Windows 10 Home.

Edited by Brynio

• Members

As far as "finding" the program is concerned, I'm not yet familiar with how Windows 10 does this. But if there's still an option to find a program by typing in the name in the Start menu, that at least should help to localize it. If not, you would find "SBProPEcm.exe"  in

C:\Programs\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\release

Here is another "interesting" problem I encountered. I decided to try and install the game on my desktop computer. i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz, 14 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970, Windows 10 Home. System drive is a 500GB SSD (2 partitions). Data HDD is 1TB.

After the unpacking process the setup launcher begins installing the files. Right at the start when it goes into the "creating directories..." part I get this error message:

error.thumb.jpg.33441fb0a9a5821dffcd43cb

Clicking Retry just reopens the window. After clicking Ignore it shows a similar error with another file name (ESIMMGAMES.wbb). Clicking Ignore one more time resumes the installation. At the end I get a confirmation that the installation process is finished. As in the previous case the game files are nowhere to be found on my system (!) I have tried searching my ststem for "SBProPEcm.exe" with no results.

I totally don't know what to do :-( Please help!

error.jpg

Edited by Brynio

• Members

Well, error messages during the installation process are never a good sign. But thanks for posing screenshots, that may turn out to be helpful. I don't know if you already searched the internet for the text of these messages?

At this point I do not want to speculate what may have happened (and I would ask other users in this forum to provide comments only if they have already seen this phenomenon, and KNOW how to solve it). I'll be back.

I have searched the for the text of this message and did not find anything. I suspect there must be something wrong with my desktop as I am using the same install files as on my laptop.

I would still be happy if someone helped me resolve the issue :-)

Thanks

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Please download and install the latest CodeMeter runtime software first. Version 3.0 is not yet optimally tailored for Windows 10. Only after installing the CM runtime software, start the Steel Beasts installer. When you get to the point of installing the CodeMeter software, click "Cancel" to skip this part.

Well... this did not help. I installed CodeMeter 6.22 with no problem but still I cannot see my installed files anywhere. During the installation I specified where I want the files installed. There is nothing there :-(

23 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I wonder if you have a particularly aggressive anti-virus software installed?

(or, at least, one with (very) restrictive settings)

Trying to install on my laptop.

I have switched off my AV software (it's Comodo BTW) and here is the process step by step: (I am entering steps as they occur):

0. Installed CodeMeter 6.22 as per instruction.

1. Double clicked the .exe file

2. Launcher is extracting files to temp folder.

3. User Account Control window appeared and I clicked Yes to grant permission to modify files.

4. Clicked Next on the setup wizard.

5. Accepted license agreement.

6. Selected destination folder (D:\eSim Games\SB Pro PE)

7. Selected all the installation components (all of them).

8. Confirmed Select Start Menu Folder

9. Started the Install process... looking at the nice green bar moving left to right... System is extracting files to the destination folder. It is woth noting at this point, that allthough the install window is listing the files being extracted, nothing is showing up in the destination folder...

10. CodeMeter v5.22 window pops up. Pressed Cancel as per instruction.

11. Clicked Next on the Information window (the one with 3rd party libraries).

12. Completion window popped up. Clicked Finish.

13. Apart from the CodeMeter software, I do not see any trace of SB being installed. The destination folder specified in step 6 does not exist.

14. [Bangs head on desk, weeping...]

H E L P :-(

7 hours ago, ssidiver said:

I have Win 10 and no problems. My exec file is at:

"C:\Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE\Release\SBProPE64cm.exe"

Just a thought are your files in a hidden directory?

Nothing in hidden directories :-(

• Members

At step 9 files should definitely begin to show up in the destination folder.

So we'll have to figure out why no actual transfer happens.

It's worth noting that only about 50% of the data that get installed will end up in the program files folder. The rest would go into C:\ProgramData\eSimGames\Steel Beasts\ folder and its subdirectories. I understand that you may be reluctant to put everything on the C:\ drive but can you give it a try and see if at least that completes the installation successfully?

Error 31 is usually not at all related to the program being installed, but related to corrupted/faulty/missing Windows system files.

Hence I strongly suggest you verify your Windows 10 installation in the following way:

1. Switch off your AV software (make sure it does not reactivate after a fixed time.
  2. Open an administrative Windows Command Prompt. You can do so in Windows 10 by using the start menu, "All Apps" -> "Windows System", then right-click on the "Command Prompt" entry and select "More" -> "Run as administrator" from the context menu. Once the window is open, verify that it is indeed an administrative window by looking at the title bar, it should state "Administrator: Command Prompt".
  3. execute: sfc /scannow
    This will start a system file scan and will also repair files (by using a protected store on your HDD) if necessary. It may take a while. Take note of the last status output, it should either say something similar to "...did not find any problems" or "...found and corrected problems" or "...was unable to correct some problems".
  4. In the first two cases, go ahead and try re-installing SB and check whether the issues are solved. In the latter case (or in the first two cases but the re-install still does not work), open the admin prompt again, make sure that you are connected to the internet (as this command tries to grab any missing/corrupt files from the MS servers rather that from your HDD stroe)  and execute: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    This will take a bit longer than the former command, especially if there are errors to repair. Once everything is done, monitor last status output again for results.
  5. Reboot your PC! Re-enable the AV scanner if necessary, and then try the installation again.

37 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

At step 9 files should definitely begin to show up in the destination folder.

So we'll have to figure out why no actual transfer happens.

It's worth noting that only about 50% of the data that get installed will end up in the program files folder. The rest would go into C:\ProgramData\eSimGames\Steel Beasts\ folder and its subdirectories. I understand that you may be reluctant to put everything on the C:\ drive but can you give it a try and see if at least that completes the installation successfully?

Call me unlucky but setting the destination directory to C:\ causes a direct X installation problem. I ignored the error and the installation completed. Of course there is no trace of the installation files (apart from the hidden folder ProgramData).

There is also no trace of the installation in my install/uninstall list of programs.

Edited by Brynio
edit

Forgot to mention: if you went through all these steps and SB still won't install properly, run the sfc command again as specified in step (3). This time, if there still is an output similar to "...was unable to repair some problems", take note of the logfile name where the scan results have been stored, zip it and upload it so we can inspect where your system is struggling. If you're not confident with uploading that file, you can scan it yourself of course (the errors will be at the end of the file), but it's quite a bit of stuff in there so it might be hard to find the right spot.

Here I thought things could not get any worse....

Just to add another ANOMALY: When I try and install SB on my laptop (for the 10th time) I just noticed that when I leave the dstination folder to it's default I get a ... wait for it... message that the directory allready exists!!!! Of course I connot see it. Keep in mind that I have changed my view settings to show hidden files and folders.

How's that for strange? 

Not sure if this will work, but someone was able to install in safe mode with error 32 and was successful.

Perhaps trying to install in safe mode despite having error 31 may help?

Ref: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/movefile-failed-code-32-need-help.2696887/

Also, if you are running software like BitDefender, apparently it can cause issues as well. Alas, this is all for error 32, not finding anything on error 31 thus far.

Ref: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?74944-Move-File-failed-Code-32

Edited by Azure Lion

8 hours ago, dunc said:

Error 31 is usually not at all related to the program being installed, but related to corrupted/faulty/missing Windows system files.

Hence I strongly suggest you verify your Windows 10 installation in the following way:

1. Switch off your AV software (make sure it does not reactivate after a fixed time.
  2. Open an administrative Windows Command Prompt. You can do so in Windows 10 by using the start menu, "All Apps" -> "Windows System", then right-click on the "Command Prompt" entry and select "More" -> "Run as administrator" from the context menu. Once the window is open, verify that it is indeed an administrative window by looking at the title bar, it should state "Administrator: Command Prompt".
  3. execute: sfc /scannow
    This will start a system file scan and will also repair files (by using a protected store on your HDD) if necessary. It may take a while. Take note of the last status output, it should either say something similar to "...did not find any problems" or "...found and corrected problems" or "...was unable to correct some problems".
  4. In the first two cases, go ahead and try re-installing SB and check whether the issues are solved. In the latter case (or in the first two cases but the re-install still does not work), open the admin prompt again, make sure that you are connected to the internet (as this command tries to grab any missing/corrupt files from the MS servers rather that from your HDD stroe)  and execute: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    This will take a bit longer than the former command, especially if there are errors to repair. Once everything is done, monitor last status output again for results.
  5. Reboot your PC! Re-enable the AV scanner if necessary, and then try the installation again.

Unfortunately this has not worked. I tried option 3 and option 4. I tried installing SB and still got the error code 31 on my desktop computer.

I am slowly beginning to give up. Looks like $85 is going down the drain.

I have now tried installing SB on two computers and had two types of installation problems while using the same installation files. Go figure...

If anyone has any new ideas I am willing to try, otherwise... (walks away slowly into the night... with his head hung low...):(

Not completely sure, but the first thing I would suspect is that one of the programs that is running in the background is the cause.

Best think I can suggest at the moment is to open up task manager and research anything that you are not sure of to see what it does and if you can disable it without issue.

You may even cross reference the tasks running on both of your computers, this may help to narrow the list of possible programs.

Once you find something that you suspect is not needed and could possibly be causing the issue, end that task.

Rinse and repeat until you find the offending software or there are no longer any unknown software running.

Caution!:

Remember to properly research about each task you are thinking of disabling first!

Again, I am not completely sure, but to reiterate; I suspect one of the programs that is running is causing the installation issue that you are encountering.

58 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

Not completely sure, but the first thing I would suspect is that one of the programs that is running in the background is the cause.

Best think I can suggest at the moment is to open up task manager and research anything that you are not sure of to see what it does and if you can disable it without issue.

You may even cross reference the tasks running on both of your computers, this may help to narrow the list of possible programs.

Once you find something that you suspect is not needed and could possibly be causing the issue, end that task.

Rinse and repeat until you find the offending software or there are no longer any unknown software running.

Caution!:

Remember to properly research about each task you are thinking of disabling first!

Again, I am not completely sure, but to reiterate; I suspect one of the programs that is running is causing the installation issue that you are encountering.

Y E S ! ! ! !

This resolved the installation problem. I am ecstatic!!!! I needed do end the Comodo (AV) processes that were still active even though I turned off the AV Software. I have now installed SB without a hitch, including the 3.028 hotfix. It is now time to start learning the game.

Thank you Azure Lion for the final suggestion. Than you also to everyone else that contributed their ideas.

THANKS again! :D