Battle of the CV's

Marko

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CV-90/40C.

Though I would like it to have the electronics and GPS zoom of the CV-90/35.

The on-the-fly reload capability keeps non-engagement time to a minimum.

With the addition of the electronics, situational awareness would increased and thus so would survivability.

If only the CV-90/35 did not have such a long down time during reload especially after end-of-belt.

Otherwise I would prefer the CV-90/35 variants.

4 hours ago, Azure Lion said:

The CV-90/40C.

Though I would like it to have the electronics and GPS zoom of the CV-90/35.

The on-the-fly reload capability keeps non-engagement time to a minimum.

With the addition of the electronics, situational awareness would increased and thus so would survivability.

If only the CV-90/35 did not have such a long down time during reload especially after end-of-belt.

Otherwise I would prefer the CV-90/35 variants.

I ran some ballistic tests today CV v CV.

The bigger calibre Auto cannon does not seem to make a hell of a difference.

I am finding CV90/30FI the most effective so far, Havant gone through all the ammo options yet.  

Edited by Marko

well as a cv9035 dk driver i prefer that :) and it is very effective against the most light armored and helos.. and its firing modes are great. but i must admit as alround its hard to decide they are good at everything all of them really.. im just a sucker for that danish one.

Edited by DK-DDAM

7 hours ago, Marko said:

I ran some ballistic tests today CV v CV.

The bigger calibre Auto cannon does not seem to make a hell of a difference.

I am finding CV90/30FI the most effective so far, Havant gone through all the ammo options yet.  

I concur that the calibre doesn't make all that much of a difference. Still, the reload on the fly of the CV90-40C is very nice. I will normally start reloading after I send off the first round, by the time I have used the first eight rounds in the magazine there are several more that have already been loaded in behind them, depending on how fast I am firing off rounds of course.

• Members
1 hour ago, Azure Lion said:

I concur that the calibre doesn't make all that much of a difference.

In particular with fragmentation rounds this may be more reflective of shortcomings of our underlying models that influence terminal ballistic effects.

From looking at the wiki the CV-90/35 should be the better protected at 31.75 tonnes v 28 tonnes on the 30FI and 40c.

All the CV's seem to be well protected from the front, a BMP-2 will struggle to penetrate them using its Auto cannon at range

Are there any armour diagrams of the CV's armour values could not find any in the wiki.

Thanks dejawolf!

Since we are on the subject of CV90s, has anyone else had an issue where the commander get's a fatal paper cut while reloading the coaxial machine gun in the CV90-35s?

There is a work around if you place the turrent at 90° to starboard before reloading, but you have to catch it before the AI reloads the coax. This is an intermittent occurrence however.

(I would have brought this up earlier, but it is only a minor and amusing annoyance. Besides, it could be just me.)

6 hours ago, dejawolf said:

here's a PDF disclosing some info about 30mm vs 35mm bushmaster:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2005garm/tuesday/vanmeerten.pdf

35mm KETF disperses almost 3 times as many 1.5gram subprojectiles (341 vs 135) as 30mm HE-frag.

That was for a nominal 1.5g projectile. This final type was given on a later slide as 1.24g, so ~412 fragments for the same total fragment mass, but the actual design may differ from this.

On 7/23/2016 at 11:25 AM, Marko said:

From looking at the wiki the CV-90/35 should be the better protected at 31.75 tonnes v 28 tonnes on the 30FI and 40c.

All the CV's seem to be well protected from the front, a BMP-2 will struggle to penetrate them using its Auto cannon at range

Are there any armour diagrams of the CV's armour values could not find any in the wiki.

most armoured vehicles are designed to protect from it's own ammunition from the front, unless it's a tank destroyer. 

Edited by dejawolf

On 2016-07-23 at 7:17 PM, Azure Lion said:

Since we are on the subject of CV90s, has anyone else had an issue where the commander get's a fatal paper cut while reloading the coaxial machine gun in the CV90-35s?

There is a work around if you place the turrent at 90° to starboard before reloading, but you have to catch it before the AI reloads the coax. This is an intermittent occurrence however.

The  reason is that the MG, just as on the 9040B are mounted in the turret on the left side at the TC location and it is the TC who reloads it. the MG is stabilized together with the main gun which means that if stab is active and turret moving there is a bad risk of having the TC get his hand or arm stuck while reloading MG because of MG/main gun movement. 
So to avoid that you have to deactivate the stab so the gun is not moving when reloading. the 9040C has a new MG mounted on the roof in stead so does not have that issue.

/KT 

Thanks for the info, thought it might have had something to do with something to that effect. Too bad for the AI commander that sometimes the AI gunner will play a nasty trick on them.

Laf, and now that I am trying to get the AI's to knock out the commander during a reload for screen shots, they are behaving. Well, when it occurs again, hopefully I will have taken a before screen shot.

1 hour ago, DK-DDAM said:

i just hope that we get to see the full effect of the cv9035s ketf grenade, as into blinding tanks effectively and damaging the barrel of the tanks for example.

Will be adding visible damage to vehicles to my wish list when 4.0 has been released in its entirety.

06eae4813c5f.jpg

pg-bt-destroy-t55-622x419.jpg

My opinion is the 90C with 3P ammo as the no1. I just wish we had a sexier 3D model for it right now.

Good armor
Good gun, the APFSDS have good penetration (170mm) and the 3P ammo gives you many options with good effect on buildings,troops in buildings, helicopters, trucks and IFVs, Troops in defilade, troops hiding behind berms (not visual!) etc.

Combat hatches for the dismounts so they can fire on the move and provide extra observation

Quick reload, even if there is only 8 rounds per rack it goes very quick to load a new round up the racks.

Only negatives I see is the lack of camera for the driver when reversing and that the FN MAG is mounted on the roof like that, really exposes anyone who need to go up and reload it (good thing it holds 500rds at least).

Edited by Kingtiger

On 27/7/2016 at 0:54 AM, DK-DDAM said:

i just hope that we get to see the full effect of the cv9035s ketf grenade, as into blinding tanks effectively and damaging the barrel of the tanks for example.

Yeah ...me too.....the KETF round in SB is really disappointing..basically useless against anything but infantry and even against those its barely more effective than 30mm HE....if its real life performance was anything like that modelled in SB ,it would be classed as a non-lethal weapon ;-) . 

Generally speaking i feel that the CV9035 is not fairly represented in Steel Beasts (though its 3D graphics model is beautiful) ....IRL there is a great difference in quality and capability of things like armor, stabilisation, FCS and thermal imagers between the different (generations) of  CV90's* ...something i think is not accurately  reflected in game where there is no noticeable difference.  Coupled with the reduced modelled lethality of its ammo , slower rate of fire , and the less than optimal behavior* of AI controlled CV9035 units , it results in a vehicle that is severely handicapped in game, though the MkIII is in many ways superior IRL. 

* A couple of Ex-Swedish army CV9040 gunners joined the Danish army and transitioned to the CV9035DK.....both of them have specifically mentioned the huge disparity in FCS accuracy and capability,  even between the CV90C model and the mkIII CV. 

* AI takes extremely long time to acquire target and even longer to engage.....seems to be worse than on the other CV90 versions.....though that is my subjective observation.

Refuses to use KETF against infantry at any range , only coax

Will not reload by itself

Will not override the EoB signal even during an engagement or under fire.(only relevant for DK version) 

It really renders AI controlled CV9035 units practically useless which i think is a real shame because it could be an awesome support asset particularly in infantry-heavy scenarios.....instead its almost a burden.

the CV9035 are actually better protected than the CV9030 in steel beasts, and also better protected than CV9040B.  

but that protection is negligible when attacked by ATGMs, RPGs, and tanks. 

CV9035NL would be the best protected one. it's fitted with mexas+ spaced armour. this should give protection against weaker types of RPG and ATGM. 

however, in TGIF scenarios, you'll usually be up against the best of the best ATGM-wise. 

here's a video demonstrating dragon shooting at a CV9035NL. 

34 minutes ago, dejawolf said:

the CV9035 are actually better protected than the CV9030 in steel beasts, and also better protected than CV9040B.  

but that protection is negligible when attacked by ATGMs, RPGs, and tanks. 

Of course and i'm not complaining about the protection levels....(except perhaps the continued presence of "indestructible" BMP's ;-) ...(and Ulans !! )

CV9035NL would be the best protected one. it's fitted with mexas+ spaced armour.

Mexas ? ....i know the bomblet protection is from RUAG and it has a slightly thicker side and front add on amor plate ....is that what you call Mexas ?  The CV9040C has MEXAS armor modules on turret and hull and looks very different. 

Every model of the CV90 has multi-layer spaced armor ....the CV9035DK too.  Cant see the NL version being THAT much better protected. 

13 minutes ago, MikeKiloPapa said:

Of course and i'm not complaining about the protection levels....(except perhaps the continued presence of "indestructible" BMP's ;-) ...(and Ulans !! )

Mexas ? ....i know the bomblet protection is from RUAG and it has a slightly thicker side and front add on amor plate ....is that what you call Mexas ?  The CV9040C has MEXAS armor modules on turret and hull and looks very different. 

Every model of the CV90 has multi-layer spaced armor ....the CV9035DK too.  Cant see the NL version being THAT much better protected. 

well, with mexas, i'm talking about special composite panels.  CV9035DK panels are thinner. not sure if they're even composite, or just plain spaced addon steel plates, or perhaps NERA plates.