Battle of the CV's

Marko

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, dejawolf said:

well, with mexas, i'm talking about special composite panels.  CV9035DK panels are thinner. not sure if they're even composite, or just plain spaced addon steel plates, or perhaps NERA plates. 

Just to clarify....all MEXAS armor is NERA....at least all the examples i know of . Speaking of ....the CV9035DK armor panels look a lot like the Leo2A5 turret armor modules ....ie 3 layers of different material and hardness ...probably 2 hard layers, inner and outer and a softer middle layer.....which would make them a form of  basic NERA.

http://liam2010.deviantart.com/art/CV-9035-DK-334997557

The NL version add-on armor is quite interesting....

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/arnout_zaal/cv9035_mkiii/images/cv9035_mkiii_16_of_32.jpg

It definitely doesn't look like MEXAS .....it seems to be made out of a single material and is probably too thin to contain any inserts.....which begs the question what is it made of ?.....aluminum or ceramics perhaps ? 

If it were made of ultra hard armor steel like ARMOX (which seems to be used for the lower skirt armor ) it would be VERY heavy ......then again the full-spec CV9035NL is MLC 38 .  

Edited by MikeKiloPapa

the downside of the KETF ammo is the limited lateral effect. In that sense the 40mm 3P ammo is superior esp when engaging troops in foxholes or trenches.

The testing results of the PUMA's 30mm gun gave me the thought that the idea of "blinding" enemy tanks is a bit optimistic

Edited by Grenny

27 minutes ago, Grenny said:

the downside of the KETF ammo is the limited lateral effect.

True....though since KETF is evolved from a specialized anti air round (AHEAD) that is hardly surprising....the advantage of course is greater head on effect and lethality.

In that sense the 40mm 3P ammo is superior esp when engaging troops in foxholes or trenches.

Also true ....though a point could be made that because the 3P rounds individual tungsten pellets are much smaller than KETFs and carry much less kinetic energy , the actual lethality of it is probably limited. 

Like the US Navy found out when testing the 57mm version of 3P against surface targets......its effectiveness is probably somewhat overrated.

The testing results of the PUMA's 30mm gun gave me the thought that the idea of "blinding" enemy tanks is a bit optimistic

I very much disagree.....Since i happened to work at the Danish Army Combat Center +10 years ago when we bought the CV90s , i actually witnessed the KETF firing trials against MBTs and other targets. Among others a Dutch Leopard 2A6 was used as a target vehicle. The results were pretty conclusive......even just a few 35mm rounds rendered every single piece of front facing optic unusable. I'm not just talking a few hits and cracks here and there.....even the most hardened periscope glass was turned into a milkywhite crater filled surface. 

Now back then the CV90 mkIII used was still just a prototype as were probably the KETF rounds, so i dont know exactly which version was used, but i dont think it would have made much difference regardless.

Hmm, the kinetic energy of the PUMA subprojectiles would be the same as in the 35mm round. But it has more the double the payload...making a hit much more likely.

Question remaining here: is the SB modeled ammo too weak or are the modeled optics too hard.

Edited by Grenny

well going onto the cv9035dk as thats what i know most about... when using the Pene firing mode on a building with infantry in it.. nothing happens to the infantry.. in this case it was a bricked building i tested it on. over 9 rounds of ketf with the pene mode and nothing happened. second of all direct line of fire on to a leopard 2a5dk with the ketf in point mode. I could take out all the gunners sights except its emergency sight , or the commanders day sight, those things were still usable. also i think @MikeKiloPapa will agree with me here.. we carried out some testings back when we first got the cv9035dk on a dutch leopard wreck. and we managed to make alot of damage to the inside of the smoothbore barrel. but i dont know it really just feel weak to me.

2 hours ago, Grenny said:

Hmm, the kinetic energy of the PUMA subprojectiles would be the same as in the 35mm round. But it has more the double the payload...making a hit much more likely.

The 35 mm round has exactly 2,5 times the payload of it smaller cousin..... 407  vs 162 subprojectiles of 1,24 grams to be precise.  

I cant explain the difference in results since i dont know anything about the german tests.....but with the smaller payload and likely smaller projectile cloud density, initiation height and distance become much more important....ie you need greater accuracy and more rounds to achieve the wanted effect. 

Question remaining here: is the SB modeled ammo too weak or are the modeled optics too hard.

I'm guessing its the first one.....since the lack of target effect seems to apply across the board....soft skin vehicles , helicopters and even infantry will some times shrug off direct hits. 

2 hours ago, DK-DDAM said:

well going onto the cv9035dk as thats what i know most about... when using the Pene firing mode on a building with infantry in it.. nothing happens to the infantry.. in this case it was a bricked building i tested it on. over 9 rounds of ketf with the pene mode and nothing happened. second of all direct line of fire on to a leopard 2a5dk with the ketf in point mode. I could take out all the gunners sights except its emergency sight , or the commanders day sight, those things were still usable. also i think @MikeKiloPapa will agree with me here.. we carried out some testings back when we first got the cv9035dk on a dutch leopard wreck. and we managed to make alot of damage to the inside of the smoothbore barrel. but i dont know it really just feel weak to me.

Commanders day-sight damage has not been modeled on most vehicles on steelbeast. So it is not lack of performance...  that damage just is not modeled on steelbeast.

Gunners auxiliary sight - if I remember correctly should be able to be taken out...  but perhaps its modeling is in wrong place? I remember being able to take it out... but it was very difficult and I had to be experimental. 

If you want test ability to blind vehicle in steelbeast...  try agaisnt cv9030 (fin)  its only vehicle that can get totally blind (with except of vision blocks... I guess because you can replace those) 

I did some testing... 

And

With single shot on cv9035 DK its possible to take GPS, laser range finder, thermal imager and commanders TI out with no trouble. Often even with first shot. 

remember, commanders day sigh damage is not modeled so that is not possible, also GAS sight is often well hidden / covered so that takes some precise shooting with coax because KEFT doesn't seem to be able to take it out reliably

(edit on never leopards such as 2E its possible to knock out commanders peri entirely!  On other leopards or tanks that is not possible or its too near impossible.) 

Edited by Lumituisku

5 hours ago, MikeKiloPapa said:

Just to clarify....all MEXAS armor is NERA....at least all the examples i know of . Speaking of ....the CV9035DK armor panels look a lot like the Leo2A5 turret armor modules ....ie 3 layers of different material and hardness ...probably 2 hard layers, inner and outer and a softer middle layer.....which would make them a form of  basic NERA.

http://liam2010.deviantart.com/art/CV-9035-DK-334997557

The NL version add-on armor is quite interesting....

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/arnout_zaal/cv9035_mkiii/images/cv9035_mkiii_16_of_32.jpg

It definitely doesn't look like MEXAS .....it seems to be made out of a single material and is probably too thin to contain any inserts.....which begs the question what is it made of ?.....aluminum or ceramics perhaps ? 

If it were made of ultra hard armor steel like ARMOX (which seems to be used for the lower skirt armor ) it would be VERY heavy ......then again the full-spec CV9035NL is MLC 38 .  

well, i know the CV9030F are not solid steel plates. and the CV9035NL plates are pretty much the same design. 

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

Commanders day-sight damage has not been modeled on most vehicles on steelbeast. So it is not lack of performance...  that damage just is not modeled on steelbeast.

Gunners auxiliary sight - if I remember correctly should be able to be taken out...  but perhaps its modeling is in wrong place? I remember being able to take it out... but it was very difficult and I had to be experimental. 

If you want test ability to blind vehicle in steelbeast...  try agaisnt cv9030 (fin)  its only vehicle that can get totally blind (with except of vision blocks... I guess because you can replace 

on the cv9030FI you can still use the barrel camera if all else fails.

you just have to set it on the vehicle info monitor...then you can use it as an aux"aux" sight ;-)

36 minutes ago, Grenny said:

you just have to set it on the vehicle info monitor...then you can use it as an aux"aux" sight ;-)

That too can be taken out...  then you need to revert to "1:1 window", which is basically a vision block with a crosshair =)

2 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Usually yes. But on many occasions a lucky shot from enemy can disable barrel camera, on that care you can use commanders sight, or commanders aux sight.

Or in worst case scenario.. go to commanders place. - Unbutton and use wire cutter as direction pointer... and adjust shooting by observing where shots land. 

1 hour ago, GSprocket said:

No love for AMOS?

Would like to see the AMOS in SB.

But the CV90 120 is interests me more, I think there still trying to market it here's an updated pic.

there does not seem to be much of market for light /medium tanks.

Looks like military planners are going heavy or wheeled the Russians have the sprut SD. the centauro but its not a tank as such

The French have numerous wheeled platforms and there's the Stryker.  

The poles were working a new platform but cancelled it.

With all the new technology's to protect tanks.

I would have thought a medium tank would be ideal for peacekeeping similar firepower but less of a logistics burgeon.

I wonder do the military planners think the IFV can cover the role light/medium tanks used to

21169_71305_870430.jpg

21169_71305_870430.jpg

21169_71305_870430.jpg

Edited by Marko

8 hours ago, MikeKiloPapa said:

You mean they are hollow ? or that they are a laminate (multiple layers) ? 

i mean it's secret. maybe in 30 years when the CV9030/35 are out of service, or some careless soldier posts a picture on the internet you'll know.