SB 4.0: cant start the program [solved]

Major duck

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Open up your programs and features and check and see which Microsoft C++ redistributables you have installed.  There should be one there for 2013 and 2015 too.  The installer will should these, at least it did here.  

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Open up your programs and features and check and see which Microsoft C++ redistributables you have installed.  There should be one there for 2013 and 2015 too.  The installer will should these, at least it did here.  

i have both 2013 and 2015 both installed today

MD

Assuming you have the latest VC++ runtimes installed...

2015: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52982

2013: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

... try installing this MS patch (make sure to pick the correct one for your OS):

KB2999226

If you have Windows 10, you can only get that patch through Windows Update, so you HAVE to allow Win 10 to update your system.

If that still does not solve it, try re-installing the VC++ runtimes (uninstall first) *after* the above MS patch has been installed.

47 minutes ago, Miki765 said:

it the same----the game not start.....

So just to confirm: you are getting the same "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll is missing" error message as the OP? (just want to be sure that we do not mix up different issues here).

Ugh. Just found this in another support database where users have the same DLL issue, but with other programs:

"Uh, no. We can thank Windows Update KB2999226 which was mysteriously pulled in October 2015, only to be released again in December 2015. This update bricks several DLLs from loading at startup or causes DLLs to report errors, and can eventually causes Windows to completely lock up if Windows is left running for several days. Uninstalling this update doesn’t fix the problem. After uninstalling this update and rebooting, you will have to download and install the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable packages (both the 32-bit and 64-bit packages if you are running 64-bit Windows) since programs will throw errors and report that api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing. Then have fun going through your Windows Event Viewer log files to see how this update bricked various DLL function calls from returning success, and in some cases prevented various DLLs from loading altogether when Windows boots. Ain’t this peachy? But wait! It gets even better! Via Windows Update, you most likely will find that the related KB3119142 update successfully installed on your computer. But guess what? Although you might find this update in your Update History, you won’t find this update in the list of installed updates so that you can uninstall it! And then look under Setup in Windows Logs. You likely will see that source WSUA reports that KB2999226 successfully installed, yet WSUA reports that KB2999226 hasn’t successfully installed on subsequent reboots of your computer."

I'll keep investigating, but this is clearly a MS bug of some kind, and not SB related (we'll still try to find a solution of course, but you might want to pro-actively contact MS support as well).

3 minutes ago, dunc said:

So just to confirm: you are getting the same "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll is missing" error message as the OP? (just want to be sure that we do not mix up different issues here).

no , i can't see any error message into win10/win8.1. 

if i double click the game exe, it's go back to desktop.  no see any menu page and any error message

PS:run SB3.028,everything is all right.9_9

Anyway: for non-Win10 systems, installing the KB linked by me above *does* fix this DLL issue for other programs.

I just noticed that the KB link lists prerequisites, so you might want to make sure that you actually have these installed before installing the KB (and then the VC++ runtime again):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226#bookmark-prerequisites

5 minutes ago, Miki765 said:

no , i can't see any error message into win10/win8.1. 

if i double click the game exe, it's go back to desktop.  no see any menu page and any error message

So that's a DIFFERENT issue than described by the OP. We need to be careful with these things, because we'll just create confusion for everyone if they describe the "same" issue - which it is not.

So, can you check out your DebugLog.txt file for error entries? It is in <Documents>\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs

6 minutes ago, dunc said:

So that's a DIFFERENT issue than described by the OP. We need to be careful with these things, because we'll just create confusion for everyone if they describe the "same" issue - which it is not.

So, can you check out your DebugLog.txt file for error entries? It is in <Documents>\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs

OK,wait for minutes,i try to redownload and reinstall the SB4.i  confirm my os has kb2999226

now download to 99.8%B|:P

Miki,

the crashdumps show your windows DLLs all at version 6.3.9600.17031 or below. Which means this is a "naked" Windows 8.1 installation *without* any of the prerequisite updates listed in the KB article. As stated in the MS error report above, in such a scenario, the KB will show as "installed" while it is indeed FAILED to install.

So, please: run windows update and install ALL available updates! You may need to repeat this a couple of times until no more updates are available.

If you are convinced that your Windows is already up to date, let me tell you that the dump shows that it is indeed NOT the case. So you may want to check your system health upfront (e.g. by using an admin command prompt and running "sfc /scannow", and in addition maybe even repair the win 8.1 component store by using some of the steps described here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html )

THEN try re-installing (uninstall & install) the VC++2015 runtimes again.

Just to clarify: You tried using

a) Windows 8.1, but without updates (which is not ok, you HAVE to have all updates installed)

b) Window 10 version 1607, which is the "anniversary update" and which is also still riddled with bugs (just google for "windows 10 anniversary update issues")

Sigh... if we're "lucky", these are purely MS issues. I would like to hear feedback from other ppl running Win 10 1607 (how to check? open a command prompt and enter "winver").

However, right now, if you still have access to Win 8.1, try it WITH updates, please.

Thanks.

Hi,

Just updated my SB to 4.0. I had the same symptons, missing dll's as above. It´s just solved for me, just for if it helps someone. WIN 7 64 FYI.

Unistalled first both SB 3 and codemeter runtimes. Installed SB 4 from the torrent files. Codemeter installed succesfull, license updated OK. Microsoft visual C++ runtimes installed. Game did'nt launch, with the missing dll's windows shown.

Tried several reinstalls and rebootings, same results.

I downloaded the runtimes from the microsoft web, and the SB 4.0 installer from the 5 part files at the download page (not the torrent). Installed the runtimes first, then the SB installer.

SB installer freezed just at the end (maybe he detected the installed runtimes and freezed), but otherwise, I killed it's processes, and tried SB: Now it works!

Long story short, try to download the redistributables from MS, and the SB installer from the 5 part files. No other patches were needed in my system.

Now let's try 4.0!

Edited by Manute951

52 minutes ago, dunc said:

Miki,

the crashdumps show your windows DLLs all at version 6.3.9600.17031 or below. Which means this is a "naked" Windows 8.1 installation *without* any of the prerequisite updates listed in the KB article. As stated in the MS error report above, in such a scenario, the KB will show as "installed" while it is indeed FAILED to install.

So, please: run windows update and install ALL available updates! You may need to repeat this a couple of times until no more updates are available.

If you are convinced that your Windows is already up to date, let me tell you that the dump shows that it is indeed NOT the case. So you may want to check your system health upfront (e.g. by using an admin command prompt and running "sfc /scannow", and in addition maybe even repair the win 8.1 component store by using some of the steps described here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html )

THEN try re-installing (uninstall & install) the VC++2015 runtimes again.

thanks!

i try your step by step,and i use windows 10 1607 now, all update has install ,then re-installing (uninstall & install) the VC++2015 runtimes again.

but now the sb4 is not run......

QQ截圖20160810232929.jpg

QQ截圖20160810233003.jpg

QQ截圖20160810232929.jpg

QQ截圖20160810233003.jpg

Edited by Miki765

1 hour ago, Manute951 said:

Hi,

Just updated my SB to 4.0. I had the same symptons, missing dll's as above. It´s just solved for me, just for if it helps someone. WIN 7 64 FYI.

Unistalled first both SB 3 and codemeter runtimes. Installed SB 4 from the torrent files. Codemeter installed succesfull, license updated OK. Microsoft visual C++ runtimes installed. Game did'nt launch, with the missing dll's windows shown.

Tried several reinstalls and rebootings, same results.

I downloaded the runtimes from the microsoft web, and the SB 4.0 installer from the 5 part files at the download page (not the torrent). Installed the runtimes first, then the SB installer.

SB installer freezed just at the end (maybe he detected the installed runtimes and freezed), but otherwise, I killed it's processes, and tried SB: Now it works!

Long story short, try to download the redistributables from MS, and the SB installer from the 5 part files. No other patches were needed in my system.

Now let's try 4.0!

i try your step,but the sb4 has not start......:ph34r:

1 hour ago, deerhunter said:

Fix worked for me,have system 7.

Nice! :)

Good to hear that we were on the right track for the original problem after all.

1 hour ago, Miki765 said:

i try your step,but the sb4 has not start......:ph34r:

Miki,

I was not aware that you are using a Chinese(?) version of Windows.

Can you try two things, please?:

1) make sure that the "non-unicode" language for Windows is set to ENGLISH (this will not affect your Windows language at all, only non-unicode aware programs - like Steel Beasts) and then reboot and re-test SB. The steps required are described here:

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/change-system-locale-in-windows-10.html

2) if (1) does not work, can you temporarily switch your Windows language to English completely for testing? The steps required are described here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/

Again, these changes should only be for temporary testing. If the result is still negative, we can at least be sure that there is no weird codepage dependency here...

Thanks!