SB 4.0: cant start the program [solved]

Major duck

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really crap. My windows that is. I get the same error with the missing dll (mfc140.dll) so SBProPE4.0 wont start. Installation and license activation went smooth.

I have all redistributable VC installed (2013, 2015 etc) but when I try to install KB2999226, it just goes on forever searching for updates on my system.

This is the first time I've run into problems installing software on my otherwise very robust rig. Don't really know what step to take now, any suggestions?

(win7x64, SP1)

Same thing here, mfc140.dll not found, and SB won't start. Win 10, version 1607 (the newest update). I haven't had a problem previously, but trying to reinstall the Visual C++ redist. for Visual Studio 2015, the installer fails (both X64 and X86) with a 'The system cannot find the file specified' error, and halts. There seems to be no way to get it to repair itself, and it doesn't show up under the apps that can be uninstalled. *insert facepalm meme* MS, why yu no give us functioning VS stuff??

10 hours ago, dunc said:

Nice! :)

Good to hear that we were on the right track for the original problem after all.

Miki,

I was not aware that you are using a Chinese(?) version of Windows.

Can you try two things, please?:

1) make sure that the "non-unicode" language for Windows is set to ENGLISH (this will not affect your Windows language at all, only non-unicode aware programs - like Steel Beasts) and then reboot and re-test SB. The steps required are described here:

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/change-system-locale-in-windows-10.html

2) if (1) does not work, can you temporarily switch your Windows language to English completely for testing? The steps required are described here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/

Again, these changes should only be for temporary testing. If the result is still negative, we can at least be sure that there is no weird codepage dependency here...

Thanks!

I try to STEP1 and STEP2,now can go to play SB4,Big THANKS!:D

But now every time into English is to change the area to the game, very troublesome. SB3.0 before you don't have to do so. And there is no so many problems, there are 4 people bought at present in China, but only me and another person to use the way you share can enter the game, the other two couldn't get into the game with the same method

I hope the official will give a patch to fix the problem

11 hours ago, ARM505 said:

Same thing here, mfc140.dll not found, and SB won't start. Win 10, version 1607 (the newest update). I haven't had a problem previously, but trying to reinstall the Visual C++ redist. for Visual Studio 2015, the installer fails (both X64 and X86) with a 'The system cannot find the file specified' error, and halts. There seems to be no way to get it to repair itself, and it doesn't show up under the apps that can be uninstalled. *insert facepalm meme* MS, why yu no give us functioning VS stuff??

In a heavily ironic twist, it's ultimately my tinkering with my limited in size C: drive specifically to free up space for earlier versions of Steel Beasts that has caused this problem. Let me explain....

Previously, SB used to install a massive chunk of stuff to your c: drive, regardless of where you specified the install to be. This caused huge problems for me, with a limited SSD of 60GB for the boot/OS drive (C). While trying to save some space, after MUCH fighting, I eventually just gave up and deleted the stuff in one of the huge folders that seemed to just be junk, namely the packagecache folder. This was, yes, in contravention of some advice out there, but it has had zero effect on me for some time, UNTIL NOW. It seems (as per the advice) that deleting that folder could cause problems with VS stuff. And lo and behold, that is now the case, many months after the fact. VS seems completely helpless in the face of not finding a specific folder that it's searching for - it makes NO attempt to repair itself, it cannot reinstall from scratch, it makes zero effort to look for the files online if it can't find them locally.......ALL installation attempts (including attempting to install VS Community dev tools etc) fail immediately when the installers cannot find some of the files/paths in those now gone packagecache folders........*facepalm meme again, both at myself and MS*

Nothing seems to work - every repair/reinstall always fails when the installer cannot find those missing folders. I'm frankly completely amazed at how little 'damage' tolerance this particular bunch of software (Virtual Studio installations) has. In this connected age, surely a simple online query for missing files by the installer would be handy?

In any case - I've worked for hours on this, no joy. Off to play World of Warships some more....I'll come back to this later again.

For those of you where the KB update won't install or "keeps looking forever", especially on Win 10 v1607:

Maybe verifying the windows component store will help.

1)

Open an administrative command prompt (open the start menu, "all apps", "windows system", then right-click on "command prompt", select "more" and then "run as administrator") and enter:

sfc /scannow

This will simply ensure that the windows components are ok, it will find and fix corrupt/outdated files by verifying against a LOCAL repository.

2)

Again, at the administrative command prompt, enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This will make a more exhaustive check which will verify your local files against the current MS versions.

If the update system is in any way corrupt, it will be repaired after these steps. Don't forget to reboot! After that, re-install the VC++ 2013/2015 runtimes (first uninstall, then install).

If that does still not help, I'm out of options for the newer Win10 versions. As stated, I have configured my system to "defer upgrades", i.e. while i get security updates, i do not get feature updates straight away, but only after a couple of months (when it is clear that the new features did not break anything or when they have been fixed properly). This is an option that is by default only available for Win 10 PRO users. In Win 10 HOME, that option is not exposed.

However, you can use tools like O&O ShutUp10 to make those "hidden" selections for you.

The forced feature upgrades for Win 10 HOME users will be quite tricky for all of us in the future... (talking about NEW stuff here, not about SECURITY updates, of course).

Last not least, the language thing...

Miki, did you HAVE to perform both steps 1 AND 2 in order to play SB 4.0? Or is step 1 enough already? I need to know that exactly, so I can try to setup a virtual machine environment for further testing and patching.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Miki765 said:

I try to STEP1 and STEP2,now can go to play SB4,Big THANKS!:D

But now every time into English is to change the area to the game, very troublesome. SB3.0 before you don't have to do so. And there is no so many problems, there are 4 people bought at present in China, but only me and another person to use the way you share can enter the game, the other two couldn't get into the game with the same method

I hope the official will give a patch to fix the problem

Hi dunc

it works!thanks a lot :D

51 minutes ago, dunc said:

For those of you where the KB update won't install or "keeps looking forever", especially on Win 10 v1607:

1)

Open an administrative command prompt (open the start menu, "all apps", "windows system", then right-click on "command prompt", select "more" and then "run as administrator") and enter:

sfc /scannow

This will simply ensure that the windows components are ok, it will find and fix corrupt/outdated files by verifying against a LOCAL repository.

2)

This will make a more exhaustive check which will verify your local files against the current MS versions.

If the update system is in any way corrupt, it will be repaired after these steps. Don't forget to reboot! After that, re-install the VC++ 2013/2015 runtimes (first uninstall, then install).

If that does still not help, I'm out of options for the newer Win10 versions. As stated, I have configured my system to "defer upgrades", i.e. while i get security updates, i do not get feature updates straight away, but only after a couple of months (when it is clear that the new features did not break anything or when they have been fixed properly). This is an option that is by default only available for Win 10 PRO users. In Win 10 HOME, that option is not exposed.

However, you can use tools like O&O ShutUp10 to make those "hidden" selections for you.

The forced feature upgrades for Win 10 HOME users will be quite tricky for all of us in the future... (talking about NEW stuff here, not about SECURITY updates, of course).

Miki, did you HAVE to perform both steps 1 AND 2 in order to play SB 4.0? Or is step 1 enough already? I need to know that exactly, so I can try to setup a virtual machine environment for further testing and patching.

Thanks!

I try STEP1 ,enough already. the game can start .

But in china ,I know three people try STEP1 and STEP2, they're game not start.

see picture:the steel beasts pro doesn't works.

So, our method is effective, but not universal, someone can go to game , someone not start.

I think this problem will have to rely on eSim-Game official patch to solve.

QQ圖片20160811174313.png

1 hour ago, dunc said:

1)

sfc /scannow

2)

Thanks!

And if I'm on a Win7x64 system, how can I take these steps? I know how to open a command prompt (cmd) and put myself in my windows\system directory. But it is apparently not the same thing as you describe above?

Thanks for taking the time to help us poor combatants with insufficient windows .dll files xD

On 10/08/2016 at 3:51 PM, dunc said:

... try installing this MS patch (make sure to pick the correct one for your OS):

KB2999226

Just in case this whole thing wasnt already frustrating enough, when i click 'download' on the relevant file, it says 'thankyou for downloading'... but nothing is downloading...it doesnt download anything! WTF WINDOWS! Anyone able to put a copy of this file on here for me please? I dont see anywhere else to get it online. Cheers.

Heres whats happened;

I uninstalled previous version of SB and also CM runtime software using windows uninstaller, then installed 4.0 and CM runtime, and then activated the license via the email.

When i try to run the program from the "SBProPE64cm.exe" shortcut in the 'release' folder, i get the following error messages;

"SBProPE64cm.exe-System Error

The program cant start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program..."

I get the above message twice, followed by;

"mfc140.dll not found. File must be available to run the application!"

There is nothing in the /debug/crashdump folder.

I have since then uninstalled and reinstalled the C++ 2013 and 2015 x64 and x86, reinstalled the game etc with same errors. Interestingly, when i look in 'Installed Updates'  it only shows the   Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 and x86. (not 'installed programs'- it shows the full range of C++ stuff from 2005/8/10/12/13/15 in there)

Just tried the KB 2999226 method; it wanted to search forever, so i ran the cmd sfc /scannow prompt and was told that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I cant look at the log file though, it says 'access denied'.

Ran the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth prompt, and was told that;

Error 87

'the restorehealth option is not recognised in this context'  . Heres the log; dism.log

sumbitch.

Same computer hardware as with previous version of SB;

windows 7sp1 64bit

6 gig ram

Nvidia GTX 690

Plenty of HD space

Edited by Bond_Villian

22 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

Perhaps going to Microsoft's site and downloading the Visual C++ for Visual Studios 2015 will help?

Ive done that about a dozen times now.

23 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

Otherwise, one may try to find mfc140.dll online, download it, and place it in the appropriate folder.

Thats an idea. Im currently running the sfc /scannow prompt (the 2999226 KB prior to C++ method just searched forever) so once ive exhausted that avenue ill start looking at finding the mfc140dll and putting that...somewhere.

I was looking under the Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features in Window 10.

I also have installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015

As well as:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Unity

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 2

I assume SB is using the latest MS VS, however, if it is using an earlier version of VS, you may want to look into installing those as well.

3 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

I assume SB is using the latest MS VS, however, if it is using an earlier version of VS, you may want to look into installing those as well.

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

I have since then uninstalled and reinstalled the C++ 2013 and 2015 x64 and x86, reinstalled the game etc with same errors. Interestingly, when i look in 'Installed Updates'  it only shows the   Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 and x86. (not 'installed programs'- it shows the full range of C++ stuff from 2005/8/10/12/13/15 in there)

Yes, the VC redist 2015 x64 installer always crashes/discontinues for me. MS windows hompage with its manual download options don't help either. I've never come across such a hard game-breaker problem. I'm still trying to get SB 4.0 to run, but soon loosing hope (after 6 hours of testing). I hope I can rollback to SB 3.028 later tonight. Considering doing a clean house (format C:\) of my OS-drive and start fresh. However, that brings down a lot of stuff I've got neatly configured, so I have to think twice :D

It seem windows update don't work because you've not updated in a while, making the update process itself outdated?

Also, I do appreciate you guys trying to help. You know how frustrating it is not being able to run SBProPE, right? ;)

Edited by Ingolf

The "DISM" command only works on Windows 8 and above.

For Windows 7 users, it is mandatory that you install the KB2999226 patch before re-installing the VS2013/VS2015 runtimes.

If you can not get the KB to install on Windows 7, the steps to "cleanup" the update system are a bit more difficult, unfortunately... however, I took the liberty of creating a "simple" skript file that does all the necessary changes automatically (if you're brave enough to trust me --- but I take *no* responsibility if you experience difficulties!). It's attached here.

So for Windows 7, please do the following steps:

1) Save the attached file (ResetWinUpdate.cmd) to some location, do NOT run it yet.

2) Close all running programs. Open the usual windows file explorer. Right-click on your C: drive, and select "Properties". In the "General" tab, select "Disk Cleanup". Once it stopped analyzing, click the "Cleanup system files" button in the lower left. Again, once it stops analyzing, check ALL checkboxes, especially the "Windows Update..." box. Confirm and wait until the cleanup has finished. This can take quite a while, maybe even 1h or more, so be patient!

3) Once the cleanup is finished, open an administrative command prompt, and navigate to the location where you saved the "ResetWinUpdate.cmd" file. Execute it by typing:

ResetWinUpdate

4) Once it is done (you can ignore any errors you might see), reboot the system! Upon shutdown/startup, Windows will tell you that it performs some updates.

5) Once the system is up again, run Windows Update manually from the Control Panel. Install ALL updates. Reboot and repeat until NO updates are available anymore.

6) Install the above KB2999226 manually again, it should work now.

7) Reinstall (uninstall & install) the VC++2013/2015 libraries.

I keep fingers crossed now, it seems MS has provided us with quite a "surprise menu" here...

ResetWinUpdate.cmd

Thanks, dunc, really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

I will test your action suggestions and come back here. So far, the updates actually started installing (so now's a waiting and see).

What about "optional" updates, should I install them too (currently 65)? Feel a bit reluctant to those.

Edited by Ingolf