SB 4.0: cant start the program [solved]

Major duck

1 hour ago, Ingolf said:

What about "optional" updates, should I install them too (currently 65)? Feel a bit reluctant to those.

Good question, no idea. In theory, they should NOT be mandatory for anything.

However, now that the dreaded "you really should update to Win 10!!!" nagging phase is over, the optional updates probably won't hurt. Personally, when I was still running Win7, I always installed the optional updates (until the Win10 thing started, then I basically reviewed every KB info before installing, and I blacklisted the Win10 update stuff).

Sorry, the answer won't get any more specific, it's up to you. But of course, you can always start WITHOUT the optional updates, and if it does not work, try a 2nd time WITH optional updates....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you're right, I tried without the optional updates but so far the KB2999226 don't kick in at all, just starting a search for updates that is never ending. I will now install the optional ones and see if that make any difference.

Really appreciate your time, dunc. Feel so disappointed as I can't run 4.0 - and I've been around this epic sim for more than 10 yrs :P

phew!

After plenty of refurnishing of my windows system (and with your help dunc) I can finally start SBProPE 4.0.

The key is to have KB2999226 installed successfully, and I finally did it. It was not related to the "optional updates", rather the past 6 months of security issues (as far as I can tell). 

I am now a very happy chap, exploring the new features in 4.0! :D

Thanks everyone that has contributed to this thread!

:)

Nice to know that we finally have "workflows" for Win7 and 8.1 and 10 that lead to success (leaving the Chinese language issue aside).

It still bothers me that we are so completely dependent on having Windows 100% up2date. IMHO, there is no real technical reason for that, and MS simply tries to push everyone to install every single patch *just* to get a "lousy" VC++ runtime working properly... got to admit, I expected that for Win 10 (because MS confused a desktop OS with an always online and noone-bothers-about-security cellphone OS), but MS seems to backport "enhancements" to Win 7/8.1 quite aggressively.

Would not be surprised if they eventually block all program installations which are not done via the "shiny" Win 10 appstore... <sarcasm>it worked for Android and iOS, so it has to work for Windows as well, right?</sarcasm>. Go figure...

Yes, I totally understand your reasoning and don't like the development (MS wise) at all.

I've been in this world since the Z80 spectrum and the Vic20, but there's a price we have to pay for the fantastic hard/softwares we see today. In my case, this was the first time I encountered problems with win7 and I had to install somewhat 160 updates!

With XP (back in the days), I always avoided updates keeping it a very stable system (using SPs though). I hope that perhaps win10 will be the next XP - what do you think? Win7 has been quite good up until now.

Edited by Ingolf
typos

No problems with SB and Win 10 v1607 for me . this is what I did ..

Uninstalled SBp3028 ( including manual deletion of Esim folder from Documents ) and Codemeter 6.10

DOwnloaded VC++ 2015 32 and 64bit and installed ( none where installed previously )

Installed Codemeter 6.30 from separate download plugged Usb stick in , Installed SBp 40

Licensed stick with Internet Exlorer ( only time I'll use IE )

Ran Sbp40 , everything worked Ok

Win 10 users should not be put off upgrading !

Hope this helps you guys with problems.

20 hours ago, dunc said:

So for Windows 7, please do the following steps:

1) Save the attached file (ResetWinUpdate.cmd) to some location, do NOT run it yet.

2) Close all running programs. Open the usual windows file explorer. Right-click on your C: drive, and select "Properties". In the "General" tab, select "Disk Cleanup". Once it stopped analyzing, click the "Cleanup system files" button in the lower left. Again, once it stops analyzing, check ALL checkboxes, especially the "Windows Update..." box. Confirm and wait until the cleanup has finished. This can take quite a while, maybe even 1h or more, so be patient!

3) Once the cleanup is finished, open an administrative command prompt, and navigate to the location where you saved the "ResetWinUpdate.cmd" file. Execute it by typing:

ResetWinUpdate

4) Once it is done (you can ignore any errors you might see), reboot the system! Upon shutdown/startup, Windows will tell you that it performs some updates.

5) Once the system is up again, run Windows Update manually from the Control Panel. Install ALL updates. Reboot and repeat until NO updates are available anymore.

6) Install the above KB2999226 manually again, it should work now.

7) Reinstall (uninstall & install) the VC++2013/2015 libraries.

I keep fingers crossed now, it seems MS has provided us with quite a "surprise menu" here...

ResetWinUpdate.cmd

Ok so i did all of the above, and was quite optimistic about it, but at step 5, windows update just searches forever and does nothing (i left it on all night and it was still searching in the morning)

Will try the above steps again, but i think im still in need of a solution for making windows update work, in order to install the KB2999226 and C++ 13/15 libraries.

I must say though, im very grateful for the help thus far, and i hope to have this resolved soon. Any ideas on how to make windows update work are welcome!

EDIT:

MIND BLOWN. Out of some masochistic instinct i tried to run SB 4.0 without windows update working, and without the  KB2999226 patch installed (that i know of) and it runs. So im no less confused, but much less annoyed!

So just to clarify; installing the 2013/15 C++ libraries and following the above steps up to step 5' has resolved the  missing DLL error preventing SB ProPE 4.0 from running.

Thanks again for the help, and especially the 'Skript' so kindly provided by Dunc!

Edited by Bond_Villian

Sucks to be me. Still can't install the 2015 C++ libraries and still can't run SB. Giving up for the weekend. Nothing seems to work. I'm not going to reinstall Windows for one piece of software (it's the only thing my PC has a problem with), maybe someday somebody will develop something more fault tolerant.

• dunc pinned this topic

Yes it is worth checking that your windows update is working correctly, and/or try this (from Dunc) if you havent done so already;

For Windows 7 users, it is mandatory that you install the KB2999226 patch before re-installing the VS2013/VS2015 runtimes.

If you can not get the KB to install on Windows 7, the steps to "cleanup" the update system are a bit more difficult, unfortunately... however, I took the liberty of creating a "simple" skript file that does all the necessary changes automatically (if you're brave enough to trust me --- but I take *no* responsibility if you experience difficulties!). It's attached here.

So for Windows 7, please do the following steps:

1) Save the attached file (ResetWinUpdate.cmd) to some location, do NOT run it yet.

2) Close all running programs. Open the usual windows file explorer. Right-click on your C: drive, and select "Properties". In the "General" tab, select "Disk Cleanup". Once it stopped analyzing, click the "Cleanup system files" button in the lower left. Again, once it stops analyzing, check ALL checkboxes, especially the "Windows Update..." box. Confirm and wait until the cleanup has finished. This can take quite a while, maybe even 1h or more, so be patient!

3) Once the cleanup is finished, open an administrative command prompt, and navigate to the location where you saved the "ResetWinUpdate.cmd" file. Execute it by typing:

ResetWinUpdate

4) Once it is done (you can ignore any errors you might see), reboot the system! Upon shutdown/startup, Windows will tell you that it performs some updates.

5) Once the system is up again, run Windows Update manually from the Control Panel. Install ALL updates. Reboot and repeat until NO updates are available anymore.

6) Install the above KB2999226 manually again, it should work now.

7) Reinstall (uninstall & install) the VC++2013/2015 libraries.

I keep fingers crossed now, it seems MS has provided us with quite a "surprise menu" here...

ResetWinUpdate.cmd

Edited by Bond_Villian

Just a Heads up on how "I" fixed this exact issue.

Windows 7 {64b}

For some reason the install wanted to automatically put the program in my "C:/Program Files" section of my HDD.

However, my 64-Bit Folder is located in C:/Program Files (x86).

Once I installed into my 64-Bit folder and let the install run the 2015 C++ libraries, the program worked...

Bottom line make sure you are installing into your 64-Bit location on your HDD and running the program from same.  DO NOT let the program default install to the default location, which for me was the non 64-Bit location.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Kilo60

On 8/22/2016 at 8:29 AM, Kilo60 said:

Just a Heads up on how "I" fixed this exact issue.

Windows 7 {64b}

For some reason the install wanted to automatically put the program in my "C:/Program Files" section of my HDD.

However, my 64-Bit Folder is located in C:/Program Files (x86).

Once I installed into my 64-Bit folder and let the install run the 2015 C++ libraries, the program worked...

Bottom line make sure you are installing into your 64-Bit location on your HDD and running the program from same.  DO NOT let the program default install to the default location, which for me was the non 64-Bit location.

Hope this helps!

I have the same issue, my question is this:
How did you transfer Steel Beasts to the C:/Program Files (x86) folder?
Did you simply drop/drag over, then re-run the 2015 C++, or did you uninstall and reinstall?
I ask because I have the temp license, and do not want to lose/void it by uninstalling.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, Carthaginian said:

I have the same issue, my question is this:
How did you transfer Steel Beasts to the C:/Program Files (x86) folder?
Did you simply drop/drag over, then re-run the 2015 C++, or did you uninstall and reinstall?
I ask because I have the temp license, and do not want to lose/void it by uninstalling.

Nope, I did a brand new install and pointed the install to my (X86) folder in my Program Files.  I deleted the game first from my regular Program Files Folder first.

You shouldn't have a problem deleting and reinstalling as long as your doing it on the same PC you purchased the license with. 

My old windows 7 partition had not been booted into for over a year, so needed updating.  However the disk's mbr had been overwritten with grub years ago, and ive subsequently updated to a ssd for linux on that box so never thought twice.  Turns out that to update, windows update must be on the primary drive, hardware wise, and will hang otherwise.  Dell in their wisdom never includes windows disks with their desktops, and me being a typical luser dont make them so I've had to resort to downloading an iso.  Since im downloading an iso i might as well reinstall, cleanly without all the dell bloat and crappy cruft ive accumulated over the years so here we go!!

But the good news is that im back to steel beasts after a long hiatus, This upgrade is worthy of the name from what ive seen!!!

Hi guys,

Tried all your solutions above but none seems work for my Windows 10 64bit system. SBProPE64cm.exe exists a little while in the task manager and then it will gone. I don't want to change my OS language to English because there is too much work-related stuffs that need to be in my local language stats, and Steel Beasts 3.0 runs no problem at all. So I think maybe there should be a 4.1 patch to fix it? It seems totally the program itself screwed up.

• Members

As far as the required Windows update is concerned, the installer of the patch will check for that and, if necessary, offer to install it right away (or at least provides you a link if you don't want to do it automatically). Expect the patch later today.

Subsequent reinstall of windows 7 64 bit from scratch did not help.  Windows update ran without change in download directory size for at least 24 hours straight.  Got desperate and disassembled the cab file of the 2999265 update, and manually installed the update.  SB runs now without issue.  Id like to have updates working, but I think that it is a MS thing to get everyone to update to 10.....which is funny, as i made an attempt at that as well, it hangs at 99% lol.

But I have tanks now, so I have that going for me.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 31.8.2016 at 4:15 AM, kiss4luna said:

I don't want to change my OS language to English because there is too much work-related stuffs that need to be in my local language stats, and Steel Beasts 3.0 runs no problem at all. So I think maybe there should be a 4.1 patch to fix it? It seems totally the program itself screwed up.

Please check here for a (possible) workaround:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/10909-cant-start-sb4-on-win10-simplified-chinese-os-with-crashdump/#comment-161875

• Ssnake unpinned this topic