Can FOV be increased?

Japo32

Hello, 

Yesterday I updated from 3 to 4.0 version... still with the same problem. I use 3 screens with a resolution of 5040x1050 In a lot of situations the view is so zoomed that I cannot see well the things. Is there any way to modify the FOV vision? Would be necesary to me to have up to 110-120º of view.

Thanks.

Maybe in some situations yes.. but I doubt in others it is 140º. Usually I put 110-120 in all games I have or sims... and no problem.. with this one the view is sooo close inside of cockpits. In other areas (outside view of our vehicle) yes.. it seems that the view is correct at that angle.

Here is an example of what I mean... inside of a hunvee (this is not my video) seems so close to the viewer. I think that user is using only 1 monitor. If you use 3 it comes closer. Minute 10 of the video. As you can see ouside views are ok.. but inside the "cockpit" or the TOW missile perspective (not looking the reticle target) (sorry about my english) it is like very near to me.

Edited by Japo32

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Here is an example of what I mean... inside of a hunvee (this is not my video) seems so close to the viewer. I think that user is using only 1 monitor. If you use 3 it comes closer. Minute 10 of the video. As you can see ouside views are ok.. but inside the "cockpit" or the TOW missile perspective (not looking the reticle target) (sorry about my english) it is like very near to me.

HAHAHAHAHa I love the Narration here

On 13/8/2016 at 4:39 PM, TSe419E said:

I know for sure that this video maker uses a three screen set up to take advantage of Track IR.

So in that case you may see how the 3 screens users needs more FOV. I also have the trackir and believe me with that fov really is not an advantage. I know it is small space there, but I don't want to play as I was looking "2cm of the wall"

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Japo32 said:

as said. mainly thats intentinal 'cos things are near...

10 hours ago, Froggy said:

3 monitors

sbpropecm-2011-12...36-15-95-2fafacc.png

1 monitor
sbpropecm-2011-12...37-27-60-2fafaea.png

Exactly... When in other sims I have same as 1 monitor but extended vision to the sides. Not as equal as 3 x vision of 1 monitor but something like 2.5 (because scaling deformation on sides)

Here as you can see, the up windows and the botton of the screens are cut. Maybe for other people is ok, but I only wish to have an option were I could put the fov I wish inside the vehicles.. so it is up to the user the choose.

Thanks.

• Members

Conversely I would argue that we try not to put users of a single monitor at a serious disadvantage with respect to the FoV. The 3-monitor setup DOES offer a wider field of view as the comparison of the images shows, it's just not as dramatic as you might expect. Since you alsready said that you wouldn't expect it to triple the width of a single monitor I suppose we can enter the negotiation phase about how much exactly the FOV should widen. ;)

To be honest though, this wasn't so much of a design decision. We're looking at the aspect ratio irrespective of the number of connected monitors and simply try to find the best fit. Specifically, the gunner's sight should show the entire picture in the center monitor. The 3D interior is a bit of a different issue. But even then we need to consider the warping that will occur near the left and right edges if you change your view up and down rather than panning the view horizontally.

Yes... I understand the technical issues. Would be nice if modified in future to add that option. I think that the users always has to have the hability of choosing the way they want to play with the sims. Thanks!

Edited by Japo32

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

an old recall. Still no possible to change FOV and there are lot of different aspect ratio monitors. Maybe for the 5.0 in the next 9 years? (there was said to me that there was going to be 2 more paywared updates in the 4.x versions maybe... so as each version is 3 years to be developed....)

• Members

4K resolutions aren't a good choice for SB Pro 4.x simply because the text in dialog boxes, menus, and particularly in briefing and debriefing screens doesn't scale. FOV adjustments, sure, wouldn't it be nice, but it seems like a distinctly secondary concern in the light of the former, and every hour we spend on adjusting a fundamentally unfixable problem with obsolete GUI code is an hourlost for getting ther new GUI code to work faster, and it's double work because whatever we might manage to pull off with the legacy GUI despite its restrictions is going to be obsolete in version 5. That makes me reluctant to allocate scarce programming ressources to what's essentially a lost cause rather than addressing the issue in a more fundamental way.

I am sorry to say this.. and of course you won't agree.. but everytime we put a problem of engine is a "bla bla bla" to try to explain the reason to not modify it and change it. 

Of course you may have your reasons..... 6 years ago... but come on!!! a simple FOV and text scale in your old dx9 engine? come on.....

Those "little" changes are the ones that I am waiting for the new updates, that maybe I would consider paying them. Not a new tank. Changes in quality of life of the product.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

I am sorry to say this.. and of course you won't agree.. but everytime we put a problem of engine is a "bla bla bla" to try to explain the reason to not modify it and change it. 

Of course you may have your reasons..... 6 years ago... but come on!!! a simple FOV and text scale in your old dx9 engine? come on.....

Those "little" changes are the ones that I am waiting for the new updates, that maybe I would consider paying them. Not a new tank. Changes in quality of life of the product.

So you know the software better then esim? lol

• Members

In all fairness, the thread was opened in 2016, and six years have passed indeed. It would have been possible to do something about this in those years. We chose to prioritize other work. We disagree about the urgency of the matter, not the feasibility. And I fully understand that after such a long time patience is growing thin.

I am not saying that eSim Games pick up my points of view as THE important ones. The community speaks and they want what they want. But what is clear to me is that if the "other" demands  are not paid attention, then some users will slowly and quietly (not me, because I usually like to fight for what I want), leave the stage. It is nice to have several joystick connections after some years. The problem is a payware update.

We can be patient. Update the engine to a more modern one is not because of the graphics but because better performance, better simulation (graphics also take a part in simulation, specially for those that train their abilities with real world "graphics"), and less problems with newer computers.

What it seems to me, is that maybe we have to search for old second hand hardware to continue playing SteelBeasts.

About the "white knight" that replied. I don't know how exactly the engine of SB, but as you can see in the reply of Sim, they could do it, but they didn't want to. This reply is fair to me, even though I don't like it. Yours is just a hooligan one to try to reduce my 25 years of experience in the game industry, that I never said is better than any other professional of games making. I usually don't have an opinion about how real tanks should be, but I do, about how games can be better. And believe me if those changes would be made, you would have the same simulation you have with a better experience by your side. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Japo32 said:

I am not saying that eSim Games pick up my points of view as THE important ones. The community speaks and they want what they want. But what is clear to me is that if the "other" demands  are not paid attention, then some users will slowly and quietly (not me, because I usually like to fight for what I want), leave the stage. It is nice to have several joystick connections after some years. The problem is a payware update.

We can be patient. Update the engine to a more modern one is not because of the graphics but because better performance, better simulation (graphics also take a part in simulation, specially for those that train their abilities with real world "graphics"), and less problems with newer computers.

What it seems to me, is that maybe we have to search for old second hand hardware to continue playing SteelBeasts.

About the "white knight" that replied. I don't know how exactly the engine of SB, but as you can see in the reply of Sim, they could do it, but they didn't want to. This reply is fair to me, even though I don't like it. Yours is just a hooligan one to try to reduce my 25 years of experience in the game industry, that I never said is better than any other professional of games making. I usually don't have an opinion about how real tanks should be, but I do, about how games can be better. And believe me if those changes would be made, you would have the same simulation you have with a better experience by your side. Thanks.

Dude , then don't come about here like a spoiled kid and reply like you didn't read the explainations.

en fin....

(find the translate into english... it is not an insult)

Agree with eSim.

By the way... if  you include the FOV change parameter up to 140º I will buy the 4.3 update. That is a changer for me for sure. I don't know how difficult can it be, but I suppose everything is rendered by a virtual camera and sight cameras have not to be modified. Only the internal vehicle ones. That way it would help to lot of users with ultrawide monitors, not forced to play in window mode.

Edited by Japo32