Slovenian defense refuse to work with 4.0

BigBadVuk

Hello guys,

Im having issue with both versions of Sovenian Defense scenario, day and night.

Sb says "Error loading scenario. It may be incompatible or its artwork ( map ) resources may be missing . I cant make screen shot it comes white each time, but this is the text i get trying to load it either in editor or in game.

I didnt had Villers Bocage 2.ter  map , and i couldnt find that version so i renamed old one to _2 but that didnt helped.

Can any1 help with any solution please? I wanted to implement New T72B instead of old M1 but i got hit by this problem.

EDIT: I forgot - it also says check log files for details, alas, i cant find them, upgrade to win 10 messed up my bearings completely.

Edited by BigBadVuk

• 3 weeks later...

Russo Turk battle T72M1 also has the same issue. I thought I was missing a terrain/height file...

Can't find my log either. Windows 10.

I'm guessing that the T72M1 model got updated and now the old model is registered as missing replaced by a new one probably with a new name?!

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so thread has been moved i presume....

No need to start new one

Downloading link is same we used for past few years: 

Right now i tried so many different height maps for Bastogne area that i think ill have to reinstall whole SB just to get correct one when/if this issue is fixed...

And somehow i dont think it is T72M1 - my old scenarios from 2012. work perfectly.

EDIT: Sorry but this is what puzzles me: When I reported this i have been told that team knows about the issue and already works on it. Yet now SSnake asks about download link and basic details.. so wth? Is it known issue or not? Will it be fixed in this new patch we expect to happen any day now, or it will be pushed aside as simple backward incompatibility issue until some later patch?

Edited by BigBadVuk

• Members

All I'm doing is to try and keep everything that the programmers need in order to investigate in one place (like, this thread). I don't know who told you that it's being investigated and that "they" know about it. It may even be true. The way I understand my job is to make sure that everything that the programmers need for their work is eassy for them to find if I send then a thread URL (like this one) with the implicit request to fix it.

Actually fixing the issue may be easy or time consuming. I don't know. And frankly, I don't care because I trust in the ability of the team to devote an adequate amount of time to it. It may well be that they come to the conclusion that it would take too much time to address it right now. And I would always support them in that assessment. Not because I can prove that they are right, but simply because I know that they try to work at maximum efficiency. Which sometimes means to deal with a certain bug right away, and sometime to put it on the back burner because it depends on some other things that need to be worked on before.

I trust them 100%. You should, too. We're not forgetting your bug reports. We may not always be able to tell you when a certain bug will be fixed - for a variety of reasons. But you can rest assured that if you support us with providing download links and other materials, we will attempt to fix the things that you report to us with no unnecessary delay.

On 8/11/2016 at 5:42 PM, TSe419E said:

They are already working on the problem.

I had the issue with a different scenario and PMed the author to see if he was having problems with it.  He linked me with a PM that showed he was already talking to eSim about the issue.

I was referring to this post

As for when it will be fixed, i dont care as well, as long as it has been fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you check your logs you see this error when loading that scenario:

ERROR: Custom map folder 'C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\ver_2_640' does not exist!

It seems SB is getting confused by the map having been put in a subfolder of the terrain folder. If you make an empty folder inside the default terrain folder named "ver_2_640" the scenario will load correctly. The whole path to the folder should be:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain\ver_2_640

11 hours ago, TSe419E said:

Which log does the error show up in?

By the way, Rotar's fix works.  Wonder if that is the problem with some of the other scenarios?

The only log SB produces, in C:\Users\*user name here*\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\logs

It also fixed the "Russo Turk battle" scenario KITT was having trouble with as well.

• Moderators

Yes, sorry, I thought I mentioned this before but I guess I forgot with all the goings on. The problem is that often we are talking about behavior and fixes - it's difficult to nail down if the fix is coming in the next version, is in the current version, or is in a future version.

Anyway, yes, a month or so ago I meant to say that if the mission designer originally had the scenario's TER file in a specific sub folder within the terrain folder when the scenario was created, then this folder must now be present for the scenario to load. Why? This behavior was added because the military uses maps in sub folders that also contain model resource files. So if the folder isn't present, SB refuses to load the scenario because, in their case, if the folder is missing then just simply loading it anyway means that trees and building objects will be missing entirely from some machines, which is obviously a very bad thing.

The solution is to always look in the log if the scenario does not load (it actually tells you to do this if you read the error message ;)) and then you should hopefully figure out what is missing. In this particular case, the missing folder must exist for it to load, so you have to create it.

This isn't a "fix" or a hack, its simply what you need to do because of the change in behavior for the military customers. The actual problem is that we underestimated the amount of Pro PE scenario designers that actually put TER files into sub folders and thought of this mostly as a military issue. The "fix" I was referring to before is whether or not we will force the scenario to load anyway in Pro PE (only) or some other solution.

In the mean time the Mission Designer could also load the scenario, move the map to the TER main folder, then save the scenario again and clients will not need to create the folder to play the scenario.