Laying Wire

Apocalypse 31

Please correct me if I screwed this up. Last night I was messing around with the new engineers.

1. Mission designer sets whether a vehicle is carrying wire in the mission editor
  2. In game, right click on vehicle in map mode and select 'construct obstacle'
  3. Select from 1 or 2 strand obstacle
  4. Place on map (rotate and name as necessary)
  5. Right click on obstacle and select 'construct'
  6. Dismount engineer team (there is no animation to show them building the obstacle - but they are)*
  7. Wait (the obstacle will flash and change colors from grey to green as it progresses)
  8. Watch vehicles lose tracks as they hit c-wire. 

Engineers must be dismounted?

• Moderators

Yes, engineer vehicles carry the wire (at the moment, anyway, yes we are aware that any vehicle can carry wire IRL), but any infantry can construct the wire obstacle once placed. While it is constructing, the map icon will flash (IIRC).

Hope that helps. Obviously this is something else for the wiki as there is time...

1 hour ago, Volcano said:

Yes, engineer vehicles carry the wire (at the moment, anyway, yes we are aware that any vehicle can carry wire IRL), but any infantry can construct the wire obstacle once placed. While it is constructing, the map icon will flash (IIRC).

Hope that helps. Obviously this is something else for the wiki as there is time...

Already added here, but a dedicated engineering page ala the Artillery Guide would be the way to go...so much to do, so little time.¬¬ Oh, and thanks to Apocalypse 31 for the list above.

Edited by MAJ_Fubar

BTW: Last time I tried infantry was able to cross the wire obstacles on breach routes. In 3D view they slowly pass through the wire (simulates the different crossing/opening methods of the infantry) and unlike to engineer teams breaching it, the wire stays intact.

haven't tried that with the 4.0 build yet

• Members
9 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

Already added here, but a dedicated engineering page ala the Artillery Guide would be the way to go...so much to do, so little time.¬¬ Oh, and thanks to Apocalypse 31 for the list above.

That's a very nice addition, thanks!

Note that also the 3-strand wire obstacles can be placed in the execution phase - the catch is though that a single vehicle is unlikely to carry all three required rolls (maybe one of the AEV vehicles does, I'm not sure) so you have to have multiple vehicles carrying wire in the vicinity of the desired placement site. Also for the 2 and 3 strand wires, the build process should be somewhat visualized.. first the vertical poles would go up, then the wire strands would be placed one after the other

You might also have noticed that some vehicles actually carry wire on them (ie it's rendered) - like the AEVs and the Leo 2A5DK. We at most render two sets of wires (even if the vehicle itself carries more) however. Over time more and more vehicles will gain that functionality

3 hours ago, Retro said:

That's a very nice addition, thanks!

Note that also the 3-strand wire obstacles can be placed in the execution phase - the catch is though that a single vehicle is unlikely to carry all three required rolls (maybe one of the AEV vehicles does, I'm not sure) so you have to have multiple vehicles carrying wire in the vicinity of the desired placement site. Also for the 2 and 3 strand wires, the build process should be somewhat visualized.. first the vertical poles would go up, then the wire strands would be placed one after the other

You might also have noticed that some vehicles actually carry wire on them (ie it's rendered) - like the AEVs and the Leo 2A5DK. We at most render two sets of wires (even if the vehicle itself carries more) however. Over time more and more vehicles will gain that functionality

Thanks for pointing these out.  I've made corrections and added a couple of other things as well.